Old 02-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
CDTider
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Pocket Informant

Please Login to Remove!

What's all the fuss about? I downloaded the trial and have been using it for several days now and haven't really figured out what's so great about it and what it offers that the good old fashioned built-in blackberry pim software can't do. And the contacts are horrible. You can't even search by typing a name in and the pictures are tiny. So what am I missing out on here?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
TotalTech
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 304D3782

Wirelessly posted (VZW Storm, ATT Bold)

Absolutely nothing. It was great on the wm phone I had (shudders in memory of crashes and constant reboots) as you said the BB pim is better
Old 02-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

night and day difference to me, and as a beta user, I can tell you that they're daily working to upgrade the program with the eventual intent of making it as close to WM as possible (don't forget, as always, there are limitations imposed by BB). I find it hard to beleive that anyone would think the BB cal is the same or better than PI; have you compared the month views? Have you tried all the different settings? And yes if you select the right setting you can search for names in contacts, though I don't use PI for contacts. You need to play with the program, its settings etc, and you'll see what many of us see and know. It's great.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:50 AM   #4
OrganicBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSO View Post
You need to play with the program, its settings etc, and you'll see what many of us see and know. It's great.
Agreed! I wasn't too impressed at first, but once I started playing around with it, tweaking, etc......now it's a must have!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
mdlissner

Model: 8800

I have tried three of the PIM programs available for the BB. Pocket Informant, PocketDay and Agendus.

Right now PI is the top of the list to me and the development and support team is the best I have ever worked with as a Beta tester. I like PI the best for my daily list of calendar items and tasks. Next steps it needs to take are integrating contacts in to meetings and tasks to allow you to dial/sms/email from meetings and tasks. Custom user icon support is also an important next step.

PocketDay is great and has lots of different connectivity widgets for stocks and weather and integrating message support better than any of the others. PD support has also been top line.

Agendus is the newest to the fray and has integrated the contacts in to meetings and tasks successfully already, the team needs to clean up the interface and navigation to catch up with the others but it has potential if they can continue to integrate some of the PalmOS Agendus features that I am familiar with. Unfortunately they seem to be the slowest to make fixes/changes of the three.

Mark

Cingular BB8800
Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Rooster99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Telus

mdlissner, have you actually tried PI on the Storm? If so, does it work, including sync to Outlook? Their full Storm version is in a closed beta so I can't get access - and the beta has some Outlook sync issues that scare me, but if the "normal" version works on the Storm I'd definitely try it. I'm in that situation now with Agendus, and after trying 12 different PIM/Task apps it's down to PI and Agendus - but I haven't tried PI.

It does have a lot of fans, especially on the customer service side.

Thanks for your feedback.

- R.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted

From past experience, I would say P.I. Is definately the Best third party PIM app. However, having said that, I don't know if I'll bother with any on my BB; it just simply does everything I need it to do. PI would be more of a toy in my case and I'd rather use that memory for toys not included in the BB OS.

That's my 2 cents.

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"
Old 02-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
mdlissner

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster99 View Post
mdlissner, have you actually tried PI on the Storm? If so, does it work, including sync to Outlook? Their full Storm version is in a closed beta so I can't get access - and the beta has some Outlook sync issues that scare me, but if the "normal" version works on the Storm I'd definitely try it. I'm in that situation now with Agendus, and after trying 12 different PIM/Task apps it's down to PI and Agendus - but I haven't tried PI.

It does have a lot of fans, especially on the customer service side.

Thanks for your feedback.

- R.

Rooster99 - no I have a Bold not a Storm. And yes the two current public versions are for 4.2 and 4.5 (I use the 4.5 version on the Bold). There is a 4.7 version for the Storm in Beta.

Mark

Cingular BB8800
Old 02-26-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
Rooster99
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just tried the Pocket Informant Storm beta, which seems to be very close to general release. Very powerful, very flexible, very nice user interface for the Storm. This is the one for me.

- R
Old 02-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
Rooster99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Bought the PI release 1.50 when it came out Thursday. Very powerful full PIM, properly Stormed, very flexible and easy to use. Using sync to native apps so I sync to Outlook through them, although direct sync to Outlook is available.

Day 2 and loving it!

- R.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
bkrickles

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster99 View Post
Bought the PI release 1.50 when it came out Thursday. Very powerful full PIM, properly Stormed, very flexible and easy to use. Using sync to native apps so I sync to Outlook through them, although direct sync to Outlook is available.

Day 2 and loving it!

- R.
I've been using it since the beginning of the beta and it is a tremendous program with incredible service from company
Old 03-19-2009, 03:12 AM   #12
cssjamin

Model: Storm
Carrier: vodafone
Default PI - How to?

Hi All. I have used PI for years on my WM and when I got my Storm, I had to have it. I just love the way it brings it all together.
Not being a WM phone I am still trying to find ways to, say create a shortcut to the PI Calendar and PI Contacts, like you could do with Windows.

Has anyone had any success or thoughts with this?

Regards
Richard
Old 04-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
ksundar

Model: TORCH
Carrier: Airtel

Where are the installed icons in PI?????
Old 08-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
jjgjr75

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

I need add my 2 cents for support for Pocket Informant. I tried the beta at one point last year and immediately removed it because of lag issues. After using Todomatrix trial for a week I decided to try PI again and was very impressed with how much better the 1.6 vers is. I mean it is night and day. Todomatrix for me was a little too cumbersome to get around on a Pearl. The Views made it quicker but for what I need it for the PI was the "it" program for me. I already feel more organized.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #15
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

I am hooked on Pocket day - loads fast, has lots of tabs to configure and support is great.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #16
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

I have used them all, but give the edge to PocketDay! Why? PD actually integrates with the native databases (appointments,tasks,etc,.). PI has it's own DB which the syncing works a lot better but seems redundant to have the same data on your device twice. Agendus, no comment!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
john.mccoy

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
I am hooked on Pocket day - loads fast, has lots of tabs to configure and support is great.
So am I and I like PI, just stopped using it and switched to pocket day...I like some of things pocket day has, clocks and that especially.