Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
blackberrymadesimple
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT
Default Encrypting Videos Copied to MicroSD Card

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to encode/encrypt/lock videos that are copied from a computer onto a Media Card (MicroSD card).

The idea is this: We would like videos copied to a Media card be "locked" to only be viewable from that media card. We don't want the user to be able to easily copy the videos to their computer (e.g. using "Mass Storage Mode") and easily copy them to any other Media Card.

I know that when you enable Encryption mode on the Media card, if you take pictures with the Pearl/Curve camera, you cannot then simply copy those pictures from the Media card to the computer, they are 'encrypted' to just that particular media card.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Martin
BlackBerry Easy-to-Use FUN Books, eBooks, Videos & Training
Old 01-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

Woah! What kind of movies are we talking about here! ;)
Old 01-16-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
dbaci3
No longer Registered.

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrymadesimple View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to encode/encrypt/lock videos that are copied from a computer onto a Media Card (MicroSD card).

The idea is this: We would like videos copied to a Media card be "locked" to only be viewable from that media card. We don't want the user to be able to easily copy the videos to their computer (e.g. using "Mass Storage Mode") and easily copy them to any other Media Card.

I know that when you enable Encryption mode on the Media card, if you take pictures with the Pearl/Curve camera, you cannot then simply copy those pictures from the Media card to the computer, they are 'encrypted' to just that particular media card.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Martin

yes when you enable encryption on the card it will only allow it to be viewed from the memory card. if you try putting the card to say your computer then the computer will say that it needs to be formatted because it can not read it. you can also set a password on the card as well with encprytion. also like the previous reply, what kinda movies are you soooo eager to keep private? hmmmmmmm
Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
hokie123
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrymadesimple View Post
Hello,
Sorry, don't think you can do this. The only files that get encrypted are ones generated from the handheld while media card encryption is turned on. The user can then take their blackberry, go to ANY computer which has the BB device drivers, see the card via Mass Storage Mode, and copy the file to that computer.
Closed Thread