greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estabulla View Post
Hi Gregg - not to make this a iPhone vs. Bold thread but what specific aspects of the iPhone did you not like? Did you try Activesync on it?
I purchased the iPhone on a wild hair on a Sat morning. The device is slick with a great screen but I need my device for my company and have to deal with 60+ emails a day. No matter how much I tried the keybord did not cut it for me. I am more used to soem "tactile feedback" when typing and want to feel the button click to know I hit it. The iPhone would select the wrong letter or should I say my large thumbs would but typing was horrible for me.

My other complaints were poor signal strength. I always got full bars and with the iPhone I was getting 2 or less and dropped calls. I never had any dropped calls with my RIM devices. Internal phone speaker was weak and unless it was quiet, I would have trouble hearing the caller even at full volume.

Battery was not good. Unacceptable for it not to last a day. Other will argue that they had lots of power but mine did not!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #22
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly View Post
Greg,
How did you carry your Curve and how do you carry your Bold? I only put my Curve in my pocket to carry it-with a screen protector as the only accessory.

In your opinion- throwing out the benefits of one device over the other- is the size an issue if I carry it in my pocket?
I guess I am a geek but I carry my Bold like all of my RIM devices, in the past, on my belt in the OEM holster with swivel clip. I guess it is an age thing but I get 40-50 calls a day and have to respond to 60+ emails and I want to be able to get to my device quickly and with ease.

If you are used to your Curve in your pocket, you can do the Bold. It is only slightly wider and taller and maybe even a little less thick. You will carry you RIM device "Boldly" in your pocket without a problem.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #23
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
I guess I am a geek but I carry my Bold like all of my RIM devices, in the past, on my belt in the OEM holster with swivel clip. I guess it is an age thing but I get 40-50 calls a day and have to respond to 60+ emails and I want to be able to get to my device quickly and with ease.

If you are used to your Curve in your pocket, you can do the Bold. It is only slightly wider and taller and maybe even a little less thick. You will carry you RIM device "Boldly" in your pocket without a problem.
Thanks for the reply Greg, on my post and the others here. You've got something we cannot touch and feel and it is really helpful to get the true to life feedback.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #24
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

I just hope everyone enjoys the Bold. The slightly larger size will not be a problem to most. Looks like Oct 2 is the day it drops!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #25
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I just hope everyone enjoys the Bold. The slightly larger size will not be a problem to most. Looks like Oct 2 is the day it drops!
Before I make my final decision...one q...is the Javeline only going to be T-mobile? and if so can that be unlocked and used on ATT? I don't think it can but I would rather know for sure instead of guessing. If it is T Mo locked and cannot be used on the ATT network I would not consider it anyway- that means a new Bold for me and forget about anything else.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #26
InnerGeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t

Yes, you will be able to unlock the Javelin and use it on ATT's network.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #27
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerGeek View Post
Yes, you will be able to unlock the Javelin and use it on ATT's network.
So a T Mobile device will work on ATT's network?
Old 09-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #28
InnerGeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

Yes
Old 09-12-2008, 04:07 PM   #29
torberry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon

Quote:
I love my BOLD (more so since I got the rubber sleeve for some odd reason) and don't regret upgrading but if I were the OP I'd wait for the Jav. I have seen it first hand and it's a more compact device w/ all the perks of the BOLD save for the bogus RIM/3G mythical advantages.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:16 AM   #30
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

There is nothing BOGUS about 3G.

Unless YOUR carrier does not support it or you have crap for coverage. 3G demands good coverage.

My Bold is so much faster than my Curve or 8820.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #31
torberry

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon

Quote:
My Bold is so much faster than my Curve or 8820.
Who are you trying to convince Gregg? The forum or yourself? lol

3G on RIM/BOLD is a gimmick. Faster? yes. Much faster? no.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #32
beyondthesmile
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

I upgraded from the Pearl and don't find the size too big. It is certainly bigger, but it doesn't feel bulky while typing. I use it as a phone frequently too and haven't had any issues with the size.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #33
madinga

Model: 8700
Carrier: Vodafone
Default My review of the Bold

Okay, so I've had the Bold for a day. Here are my thoughts!

1. Size (the thing that started this thread)
I have to agree with other people on here. If you're currently a Curve owner, this thing isn't that much bigger. Here's the thing: the Curve actually looked and felt bigger than it was. The Bold, however, actually looks and feels smaller than it is. Gettit?

Sure it's a bit of a slab, but it's slim (slimmer feeling than the Curve), and only a couple of millimeters too wide. So, pretty happy there. Fits in the usual pockets. Slap it down on the table and it's just good looking enough to get away with the "oh my god that's a phone frmo 1995" first temptation based on size.

2. Form
Screen: yup, as good as it's been sold. Pictures and movies and whatnot look fantastic. Emails look good, although it feels like I'm seeing fewer lines of text than on the Curve. Blacks are black, colours are vivid, and I hope I get to use the movies past the first few days of "oh wow" viewing

Keyboard: bit spongey, but really usable. Not having the keys as clearly separated as the Curve takes some getting used to, but thankfully they have ridges so it's a pretty good experience. Already having fewer mistypes than the Curve, and it's got in-line spell checking so that's a bit of an improvement

Red Light: this is nuts. If an email comes in while I'm surfing the web, the red light is literally BLINDING. OMG, I think I'm going to have to find a sticker to put over it, it's like eye surgery as someone else said.

Trackball: Doesn't stand quite as "proud" from the rest of the front face as the Curve one did. This means it's slighlty less responsive. It also makes a scratching noise, which I'm hoping will wear down after a while.

Rest: leathery back - well, it slides around on the table less than the Curve. The size isn't as perfect for my hands, but see above, it's fine really. Pretty much everything else is much like the Curve was.

3. Speed/interface/software
Largely the same as the Curve. Black icons are nice, but having so few colours means they're less recognisable than the Curve. Style over substance.

Sure, it's a bit faster, but then my Curve never felt slow. So the improvement is like a 20% benefit to me, although it might be 100% faster.

There are a few more games, the media player is revamped and such, but nothing earth-shattering. Bedside mode is neat, but I don't really know what it does appart from turn that red blinking light off, and maybe mute stuff? I haven't looked it up yet. Maybe it will turn up some romantic music if/when I get lucky. You never know.

4. Web Surfing/3G
Okay, here in the UK 3G is making a BIG difference for web surfing. Note that this difference is EVEN bigger when using a fast browser like Opera Mini. The blackberry one, while neat, still gets really slow on some sites.

So, 3G, good stuff. WIFI? Will only very rarely use it - like when I go abroad with the shocking roaming rates on internet access.

5. Battery Life
Been amazing for me so far, as good as the Curve. Maybe as I'm in London and it doesn't have to search 3G so far, but 24 hours of pretty solid use, including calls and bluetooth and so on and it's only down to 40%

6. Conclusion
Okay, I'm glad I upgraded. This will help me do the stuff I need to do on the road (email and web) quicker and better, and maybe I'll get to enjoy some of the media stuff aswell. It's not like the most amazing step change I've ever experienced in an upgrade (like the first colour screen mobile - ah, those days), but I'm lovin it so far. Just, as it was really quite expensive... a 3G Javellin would win obviuosly, because the handset doesn't need to be this big, but that will have to wait.

Last edited by madinga; 09-13-2008 at 05:32 PM..
Old 09-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #34
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torberry View Post
Who are you trying to convince Gregg? The forum or yourself? lol

3G on RIM/BOLD is a gimmick. Faster? yes. Much faster? no.
For you only faster, for me much faster than the Curve.

You are in the minority in thinking it is a gimick! Maybe you should remove your rubber sleeve. It might be effecting you eyesight! <vbg>

Jealous? Why do YOU want to insist it is not MUCH faster. Mine is much faster than the Curve! Deal with it!

Last edited by greggebhardt; 09-13-2008 at 07:00 PM..
Old 09-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #35
Tommy2125

Model: 9700
PIN: 216AF4A7
Carrier: Rogers

To be honest guys, sure the bold is bigger then the curves but i had the bold for like a week now....and for sure i love this size alot better then my curve...becus you jus get use to it after awhile and it works better for me alot more then the curve
Closed Thread