BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Is PocketMac 4 more reliable than PocketMac 3?
Fantastic - perfect reliability 9 34.62%
About the same I guess 10 38.46%
No, it's causing problems for me and I'd rather have the last version 2 7.69%
I've given in on it all together 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
tobes01
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800g
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Default Is PocketMac 4 an improvement?

Please Login to Remove!

Some 4 months ago I shelved my BlackBerry 8700 in favour of a Nokia E61. It's not particularly reliable; drops calls and crashes from time to time; and reboots at random.

BUT - I can tether it to my MacBook as a 3G modem, and it syncs well using the Novamedia plugin, and that's a pretty compelling reason for me to use it.

However, now that PocketMac 4 is along I'm considering switching back to my 8700 and just cracking out the E61 when I need to use a 3G modem. But is PocketMac 4 any more reliable than previous versions? I got somewhat tired of it hosing my calendar timings at random, and dropping chunks out of my contacts without telling me about it.

Let me know what you think.

Toby
Old 10-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
rnwjr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
PIN: 40199989
Carrier: NEXTEL

I love it! I am trilled they updated it especially for a free application...
Old 10-12-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
lkb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

Seeing as how it doesn't even recognize my pearl even though my Dell at work does, I'd have to say it outright sucks.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
wclyffe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobes01
Some 4 months ago I shelved my BlackBerry 8700 in favour of a Nokia E61. It's not particularly reliable; drops calls and crashes from time to time; and reboots at random.

BUT - I can tether it to my MacBook as a 3G modem, and it syncs well using the Novamedia plugin, and that's a pretty compelling reason for me to use it.

However, now that PocketMac 4 is along I'm considering switching back to my 8700 and just cracking out the E61 when I need to use a 3G modem. But is PocketMac 4 any more reliable than previous versions? I got somewhat tired of it hosing my calendar timings at random, and dropping chunks out of my contacts without telling me about it.

Let me know what you think.

Toby

I think it is a significant improvement and is more integrated in the Mac environment now. I have never had a crash in at least 100 sync sessions and the only issue is the lack of synching Tasks with iCal correctly (it drops the date). Other than that, it syncs with my iCal calendar perfectly, and all my contacts (2000) are correct. I also sync notes with Entourage and I use the Sync Services preference to keep everything in sync with each other.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Its a step up but nothing more. While it does connect and the messages are far less cryptic and understandable as to what the sync wants to do with your data it still makes a mess syncing my PC cal to my Mac missing appoint, not moving updating others. Still requires a bit of development.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
johnoday

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Let me say this.
With version 3, I could only sync my address book with varying accuracy. Version 4 on the otherhand fully integrates with my ical, tasks, address book, notes and even my safari bookmarks. It's fast and reliable although the interface still looks like an amateur job. Whatever though, free software without any noticable quirks. Vast improvement. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
mennosbao

Model: 8700g

It's cool but it has too many mistakes!
Closed Thread