BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 04-07-2005, 01:24 AM   #21
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Please Login to Remove!

What about having to poke a Treo with a little stick-thing to navigate? I've never used a Treo, but my 7290's trackwheel seems a lot more convenient than having to unsheath the Treo's thingy and play pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey whenever you pull it out of your holster or purse. Am I being unfair here in looking down on the Treo for not incorporating a track-wheel?
Old 04-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #22
pctower

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinda35
What about having to poke a Treo with a little stick-thing to navigate? I've never used a Treo, but my 7290's trackwheel seems a lot more convenient than having to unsheath the Treo's thingy and play pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey whenever you pull it out of your holster or purse. Am I being unfair here in looking down on the Treo for not incorporating a track-wheel?
I used a Treo 600 with Goodlink for a year and am now using the 7290 - and no, you are not being unfair.

I much prefer my 7290 for all of the reasons given above.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:10 PM   #23
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinda35
Just to be fair the Treo 650 has taken care of that issue... the track wheel is still superior but the 650 is a major improvement over the 600.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 04-07-2005, 06:28 PM   #24
teskew
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

Okay how 'bout this - I think the my 7290 is prettier than the Treo 650...nah nah nah nah boo boo...haha
Old 04-07-2005, 10:40 PM   #25
Good_Guy

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

What if you are left handed? The scroll wheel is not convinient.

The 5-way navigation control on the Treo takes away having to use the stylus if you don't want to. I haven't used mine in ages. The fact is, however, some people want touch screen, others want buttons. Treo gives the choice. BB does not. Not trying to sound flippant, but does RIMM think that touch screens are a passing fad?
Old 04-08-2005, 12:29 AM   #26
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Darth Vader
Wink

I'm left handed... I find my right thumb remarkably has enough dexterity to move the track wheel not only up, but also down :p
Old 04-08-2005, 06:23 AM   #27
ceoboba

Model: 7250

I had the Treo 650 with Cingular. Now I have the BB 7250 with Verizon. In my opinion, the BB suits my needs better than the Treo 650. As mentioned above, the Treo 650 is more PDA than phone. The BB 7250 is the perfect balance of phone and PDA. Also..the sound on the Treo 650 was really bad. Alot of hissing. The treo crashed on me at least 2-3 times a day as well. My 7250 does not crash, has excellent sound, and is smaller than the Treo 650. I am also glad that the 7250 does not have a camera. I hope future BB's never have a camera on any of their models. The only thing I do miss is the speaker phone. I wish there was one on the 7250.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:05 AM   #28
Good_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy
I'm left handed... I find my right thumb remarkably has enough dexterity to move the track wheel not only up, but also down :p
No insult was intended, Roy, however, I have heard from many BB users that prefered the front location of the scroll wheel on the old Good G100 opposed to the side mounted scroll wheel.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:09 AM   #29
Good_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceoboba
I had the Treo 650 with Cingular. Now I have the BB 7250 with Verizon. In my opinion, the BB suits my needs better than the Treo 650. As mentioned above, the Treo 650 is more PDA than phone. The BB 7250 is the perfect balance of phone and PDA. Also..the sound on the Treo 650 was really bad. Alot of hissing. The treo crashed on me at least 2-3 times a day as well. My 7250 does not crash, has excellent sound, and is smaller than the Treo 650. I am also glad that the 7250 does not have a camera. I hope future BB's never have a camera on any of their models. The only thing I do miss is the speaker phone. I wish there was one on the 7250.
Cingular released the 650 way to soon. SIM card issues (which is the major culprit as it relates to resets) as well as some ROM issues have completely hammered their release on Cingular.

As for cameras, there are cameraless versions of the Treos available. Again, this comes down to a consumer choice as opposed to a manufacturer directive.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:15 AM   #30
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy

The 5-way navigation control on the Treo takes away having to use the stylus if you don't want to. I haven't used mine in ages. The fact is, however, some people want touch screen, others want buttons. Treo gives the choice. BB does not. Not trying to sound flippant, but does RIMM think that touch screens are a passing fad?
I use my left middle finger or my right thumb. Either one works. Obviously, YMMV.

Touch screens (in my experience) are always a likely point of failure. Having the choice on the Treo 650 is a plus in its favor but a touch screen isn't a deal-breaking feature for me. Reliability and durability are at the top, having owned quite a few very fragile Palm devices which were always well-protected but broke anyway.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #31
ceoboba

Model: 7250

Quote:
Cingular released the 650 way to soon. SIM card issues (which is the major culprit as it relates to resets) as well as some ROM issues have completely hammered their release on Cingular.

As for cameras, there are cameraless versions of the Treos available. Again, this comes down to a consumer choice as opposed to a manufacturer directive.
I totally agree with the release to soon. However..I switched from the "G" SIM card to the "A" SIM card and still had resets. Not as many, but they were still common place. Cingular does not offer the Treo 650 without a camera yet. Even if they did release a non camera one, I would still stay with my 7250. The sound,size,durability,stablity, and push email are just a few pluses for me. It is going to be interesting to see how the Verizon Treo 650 release is going to be.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:05 PM   #32
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
I use my left middle finger
Old 04-12-2005, 06:49 PM   #33
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Darth Vader

lol I use my left middle finder too, I never really realized to now... I can use both! Amazing
Old 05-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #34
htmanning
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Both are fine

It really depends on preference. The Treo is a great little device if you want to do everything. If you do mostly email, the Blackberry is great. I've had great success with the browser in the Treo and it lets me manage a lot of web sites while I'm on the road.

Tom
--------------------
RimBlast.com
Old 05-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #35
Bunker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

For the past few years when I have brought this up, I always got pretty much the same response. RIM thinks that a touchscreen is power hungry and prone to scratching and breaking and that the compromise of doing a touchscreen hurts the core value of what BlackBerry is to a business user and until it doesn't they wont go down that path. Backlighting a touchscreen costs at least twice as much power as a non-touch screen, probably more and replacing these screens is extremely expensive.

I find it strange that every person I ever talk to who works for RIM says pretty much exactly the same thing. Not sure if it is because they are well trained or they personally believe what they are saying. When I talk to the people from other manufacturers... Oh wait a second I never talk to people from other manufacturers because they dont have a business solution worth spitting at. All they want to talk about is how great their device is.

I don't think my RIM rep and his carrier counterpart ever talk about the devices directly. They just say try the new one and let me know which one works for you and then starts talking about the value of the solution as a whole. Convinces me more every time he turns up that they understand what the value of what they are selling to a business really is.

That RIM company is pretty smart.

Bunker
Old 05-07-2005, 05:13 PM   #36
tpblackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Tmobile

Went and tested out a Treo 650 today at my local circuit city. I didn't find them that great to handle, and they keys are so small that when you go to type, you miss hit a lot!

Meanwhile, I also fiddled with the Blackberry, and mmmMMMmmm was that a pretty device!
Old 05-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #37
dulcamara

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT
Default Treo vs BB == King Kong vs Godzilla (ie it depends)

I did the agonizing over 650 vs 7100 very recently. The choice came down to (1) wait for a Treo 650 with no camera and improved reliablity to show up with Cingular or (2) get a 7100g right now. The camera-free 650 should be here in mid-summer (hofo consensus) but the device is generating far too many complaints to make me comfortable. My 7100 is the 3rd finest toy I've ever had (top two: 1. trycycle at age 2, 2. Porsche at age 35) and seems to be built very well (I've only had the 7100 for 2.5 weeks, I could get pretty angry if it dies next month).

email is the big deal for me. The BB web browser does what I need, the screen resolution, while not close to the 650, is way better than the moto v400 I had before. I have a friend who's on his 3rd Treo 600 in a year, and the device he has now has a real bad dim area in the center of the screen. That guy sold me the 7100 when he showed me his screen.

YMMV is the operative word here. I spent 3 months figuring this out. I read this forum, a few Treo forums (these people will tolerate a lot of abuse from P1), and hofo before I could figure out what to do.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:04 AM   #38
mok7100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: VZW

I'm in the same quandry as you say you have resolved- I was a longtime BB user (950-> 6230, etc), but needed a good phone. Wanted to stay on VZW but, before the 7250, took to carrying two devices. Really wanted a speakerphone so left VZW for a while. Now have a 7100g on Cingular and thinking about the Treo *only* because I'm still struggling with the "sure type" kbd. Even though the 650's keys are small- how did you find it when typing whole words and long sentences compared to the "sure type" experience?

-Marc

"Give me a #5 XB and I can fly you to the moon"
Old 05-09-2005, 07:22 AM   #39
dulcamara

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

I got comfortable with suretype in a day, and am now typing pretty rapidly with it. Not everyone loves it, as you'll see if you look at the 7100 vs 7290 threads.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:15 AM   #40
ace_2005
No longer Registered.

I am now looking at the Ipaq 6310. A few of our executives are using this device with the Goodlink client. Although there are many issues with the Treo 600-650 those devices are really gaining ground. I love Blackberry because it keeps me employed but as more users in our company changes it makes me more reluctant to keep the BB faith.

The BB-connect was the greatest idea so far for RIM. I wish the release was about 6 months ago and I would have never had to fool with Good. If you have concerns about the Treo running BB then dont buy it or waste the time. Try it on the other PPC devices instead.