Old 01-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ney for your thoughts
Carrier: Sprint
Default Deleting prior SMS texts changes current one

Please Login to Remove!

I've not seen this issue posted, and if it has, my apologies as I searched and couldn't find it.

I'm still new to the BB OS, having come from years on the Palm platform. I love the Palm threaded SMS by the way. I have my 8330 set to "separate" in my settings. Here is the issue which I just figured out exactly what was happening last night.

Let's say I've gotten 5 texts from John Doe. As long as I keep all 5 texts, the most current one has the entire conversations. However, if I delete the 4 oldest texts, then this changes the conversation in the most recent text by removing history from the current text. I know because my wife sent me a text with her dinner order yesterday afternoon, followed by several other texts. The most recent text had all of the prior text information in it, as I checked. However, prior to leaving work and stopping for dinner, I deleted all the prior texts, keeping just the current one, and lo and behold, when I stop and place my order, the current thread no longer contained the dinner order. Is this normal behavior, or am I doing something wrong? I absolutely love the Curve, and will likely stay a Crackberry addict, as it is such a solid and reliable device in all respects, but the SMS is the one weak point for me, at least unless someone can show me that I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help, and I love this forum.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Yup it's working as designed.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Yup it's working as designed.
Thanks for the quick response. Any idea why it is designed like that? It seems to force a cluttered SMS inbox this way. Or is there some additional filtering or something else I can do?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

The general assumption is that RIM was lazy with their SMS feature set. There is at least one 3rd party developer who has created a threaded SMS application for the BB which may give you what you're looking for. It likely is also dependent on you retaining historical messages so that the threading is uninterrupted. I've not used it and don't recall the name... but knowing is half the battle.

I'd search around in the aftermarket software forum here, or Google threaded sms blackberry... see what you find. I do not believe there are any free threaded SMS solutions however.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm giving these two programs some thought. One is 3jam and the other is BBText2IM. I would sure think RIM, as stellar as the BB OS is in so many other ways, could figure out the beauty of this option, as it would only make their devices even more usable, IMHO. I know a lot of former Palm users who are now on BlackBerrys would love to see this at least as an option.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
cameron.personal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8100 on T-Mo)

I think the issue is that RIM's priority for SMS is low simply because the market demand for comprehensive SMS management is extremely limited.

Personally I hate receiving SMS mesgs with the availability of IM and email. Get your wife a BB and then she can PIN IM you.

Cam

Last edited by cameron.personal; 01-22-2009 at 11:28 PM..
Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron.personal View Post
Wirelessly posted (8100 on T-Mo)

I think the issue is that RIM's priority for SMS is low simply because the market demand for comprehensive SMS management is extremely limited.

Personally I hate receiving SMS mesgs with the availability of IM and email. Get your wife a BB and then she can PIN IM you.

Cam
Believe me, I've offered to get my wife and son both a BlackBerry. My son would love it but it's not nearly time yet for him to upgrade. My wife, she's doing good to operate a simple Palm OS based Centro.

As for IM, I've never ran it at length on a mobile phone. How does it affect battery life? Any noticeable hit at all?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
As for IM, I've never ran it at length on a mobile phone. How does it affect battery life? Any noticeable hit at all?
BeeJiveIM is the way to go IMO. Very nice application and easy to use interface. Battery life is pretty good as well, they have a "battery save mode when idle" option, which comes in handy.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
BeeJiveIM is the way to go IMO. Very nice application and easy to use interface. Battery life is pretty good as well, they have a "battery save mode when idle" option, which comes in handy.
Awesome. I may give that a try. But then, I'll have to convince all my mobile contacts to us mobile IM too. That may be as hard as getting them to upgrade to some decent BB technology.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Any idea why it is designed like that? It seems to force a cluttered SMS inbox this way. Or is there some additional filtering or something else I can do?
the series of SMS messages that you see is a thread, not a message with embedded Original/previous messages . . . hence, when an message that's part of the thread is deleted, it will cease to exist within the thread. . .

You can opt to use MMS, which actually will embed previous messages.

Last edited by crisambo; 01-23-2009 at 01:52 PM..
Old 01-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisambo View Post
the series of SMS messages that you see is a thread, not a message with embedded Original/previous messages . . . hence, when an message that's part of the thread is deleted, it will cease to exist within the thread. . .

You can opt to use MMS, which actually will embed previous messages.
Excellent instructive answer. That makes sense to me, and I like how you differentiate between the thread part and embedded. That might help me explain to others who've never experienced Palm SMS messaging.

As for the MMS option, I appreciate that suggestion and I think it's great. However, I'm on Sprint and they haven't got the MMS service on the BlackBerry Curve. I'll just continue to hold out hope that RIM sees enough interest that they work out an option for us.

Anyway, thanks much!
Closed Thread