Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #21
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (8300)

Youmail.. Still rocking my world. I like the offline voicemail messages.

The gvoice app requires web access and doesn't download the wave files. The transcription not very accurate(only used youmails free version)
Is very cumbersome compared to you mail. Imho
Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #22
SMF
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

For me it's by youmail. The free transcripts on google voice are much better than the free transcripts on youmail. With the dedicated google voice app you can play the message and it has a "bouncing ball" effect going on as the message is played the associated text is highlighted in red. Interesting effect and potentially useful.

Somewhat sadly I've deleted vymail from my bb and transitioned to google voice and the associated app.

You should also look at Skydeck and their free mashup with google voice. It's a great way to back up and use your phone contact list from the web.

Regards,
SMF
Old 07-16-2009, 03:01 AM   #23
MyPearl

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF View Post
For me it's by youmail. The free transcripts on google voice are much better than the free transcripts on youmail. With the dedicated google voice app you can play the message and it has a "bouncing ball" effect going on as the message is played the associated text is highlighted in red. Interesting effect and potentially useful.

Somewhat sadly I've deleted vymail from my bb and transitioned to google voice and the associated app.

You should also look at Skydeck and their free mashup with google voice. It's a great way to back up and use your phone contact list from the web.

Regards,
SMF
I did the same today. Deleted YouMail. The only issue i have is that i am forwarding my calls to GV for voicemail service but when people call me it rings my phone and forward to GV and then rings again like another 4 rings before the GV picksup. some people do not wait that long and end up hanging up. I know i can check the Do Not Disturb option in the GV setting but then i stop receiving the SMS messages and also people that call the GV # will reach my voicemail without ever forwarding to my phone.

anyone with a solution?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #24
captthomason

Model: 9860
PIN: to bean

i have two BBss, work and personal. the work phone has call forwarding set to GV, then GV to my personal phone. havent changed any of the settings and it rings about 5 times then goes to GVmail. on a side note, GV is phenomenal, especially with the app! thanks google
Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #25
captthomason

@MyPearl:

The problem if I understand it correctly is that you have your mobile phone # set to forward to GV. The problem with that is YOUR PHONE->GV->YOUR PHONE, your more or less "looping". You need to give out your GV # only. Then GV forwards directly to your phone and if you don't answer, then voila, GVmail. Your longer than avg rings should go down as well. If I misunderstood your problem then sorry for the rambling, otherwise good luck to ya! As a side thought, I guess if you could find out the voicemail number for your carrier you might be able to set your GV # to forward to that.....

Last edited by captthomason; 07-17-2009 at 12:13 AM..
Old 07-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #26
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

Works great for international calls, about the only thing I really use it for. I have another GV account which I am putting through the motions for our business, looks promising for what we intend to use it for...
Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #27
usblues1965

Model: 8330
PIN: 30282BE0
Carrier: verizon

That looks interesting, I put in for an invite.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #28
akwebb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A

I've used GV for along time since GC and was wondering when it would get here. I've been using YouMail for the past 6 months or so and loved it until recently when I've had issues with it. Now I just switched over and am using GV exclusively, but I have two caveats that make this just OK for now. First is the lack of ability to store the messages locally, I'm not sure if Google will ever go that route, as they seem to be the cloud gods. Second is it me or does it seem to take forever to get the email notification and GV mobile app notification of a new message? That was the nice thing about Youmail email notification, it was instantaneous. So far I will beta this for a while, looks promising, but needs a lot of work to be my day in day out vm service.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #29
sugar

Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF View Post

Regards,
SMF
I looked at Skydeck and their proposed mashup. Not sure what the upside is especially since the BB app has been released. What is the benefit of using the 2 together? I am curious to see if I should try. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #30
captthomason

@akwebb

My email notification has about a 15-20 second delay from time of call. However, the app is extremely slow for me as well.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #31
MyPearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by captthomason View Post
@MyPearl:

The problem if I understand it correctly is that you have your mobile phone # set to forward to GV. The problem with that is YOUR PHONE->GV->YOUR PHONE, your more or less "looping". You need to give out your GV # only. Then GV forwards directly to your phone and if you don't answer, then voila, GVmail. Your longer than avg rings should go down as well. If I misunderstood your problem then sorry for the rambling, otherwise good luck to ya! As a side thought, I guess if you could find out the voicemail number for your carrier you might be able to set your GV # to forward to that.....
@captthomason: you accurately describe the issue. The problem is that i have been using the same cell # for many many years and i gave to companies, contractors, friends, etc.. so it will take a wile to migrate people to the new GV#. In the mean time, my voicemail is not working properly because of the loop effect you described above. It make a call ring twice if unanswered and people give up after 4 or 5 rings... So i am going to download YouMail again so i can use it for regular Cell phone VM.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #32
MyPearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by captthomason View Post
@akwebb

My email notification has about a 15-20 second delay from time of call. However, the app is extremely slow for me as well.
I think the app refresh rate is every 10 or even 20 mins...

Check this out What Would You Like To See Updated In The Google Voice App For BlackBerry - Google Mobile Help
Old 07-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #33
ffejie

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

Does anyone know if when you send SMS messages via the Google Voice App if it uses Data or actually sends an SMS from your phone?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #34
MyPearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejie View Post
Does anyone know if when you send SMS messages via the Google Voice App if it uses Data or actually sends an SMS from your phone?
Data
Old 07-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #35
captthomason

@MyPearl

Let's hope they get that cell phone porting sooner than later!
Old 07-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #36
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Just installed/setup Google voice very cool.. if only it wasn't a second phone number to give out :(

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #37
akwebb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPearl View Post
@captthomason: you accurately describe the issue. The problem is that i have been using the same cell # for many many years and i gave to companies, contractors, friends, etc.. so it will take a wile to migrate people to the new GV#. In the mean time, my voicemail is not working properly because of the loop effect you described above. It make a call ring twice if unanswered and people give up after 4 or 5 rings... So i am going to download YouMail again so i can use it for regular Cell phone VM.
I too had this issue until I understood the settings. You can accomplish the non loop and have it directed directly your GV#/voicemail. Here is how I set mine up: (note-I only have my cell phone associated with GV as I'm trying to use it as a third party voicemail like YouMail).

On your phone, make sure you have it set to forward all unanswered calls to your GV#.

In Google Voice - online, go to settings=>phone tab. Make sure your current Cell phone # is there BUT not checked. This is where the Loop back to the phone occurs, ie: unanswered call goes to gv# and back to your phone if the box is checked.

Then if you want an unanswered call to go straight to GV voicemail, under the General tab, check the box next to Enable Do Not Disturb. Now when your call is forwarded to GV, it goes straight to vm without it ringing on the GV# as well. If you are using GV to call other numbers this option will not work as it disables forwarding to all numbers.

I know the first step is somewhat redundant, but better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps.

Last edited by akwebb; 07-19-2009 at 04:06 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #38
SteveO86

G Voice kinda killed my battery, any one else have that issue?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #39
akwebb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
G Voice kinda killed my battery, any one else have that issue?
Not nearly as bad as YouMail did. I just had a replacement bold sent and so far my battery life is top notch now that I quit YouMail.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:56 AM   #40
SteveO86

I rarely killed my battery on the weekend. but it did :(

Off course I just took the battery from my Work BB and all was good

It's a cool product, if I get a new number I'll just be giving out G Voice from that point on, and very cool "unified messaging" solution for the general public.

Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread