Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
dshap

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Who Is The Best Curve Carrier?

Please Login to Remove!

Which carrier is the best for the curve? Who has the best version of the phone, most features, fastest internet, etc. And does every carrier let you add 3rd party apps?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Only you can answer that question. Find the best coverage for you, then pick the best from their lineup. Even if you had the fastest, coolest, nicest phone out there, if it didn't work where you needed it, wouldn't it be worthless?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

The carrier that has your best coverage... where you live, work and play.

Honestly ^^ best advice.

All carriers will allow you load third-party applications.

The only difference in the curves is that the 8300 is the base, the 8310 has GPS, the 8320 has WiFi and no GPS, and the 8330 has no WiFi but GPS.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
dshap

Model: None

I looked at verizon, sprint and ATTs coverage maps, and they all have full coverage for the two places I live (NY and Durham, NC). So assuming the coverage was equal, which would you go with?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

Verizon doesn't let you use the GPS unless you pay them. Sprint does, though. Sprint and Verizon have the 8330. ATT has the 8310 and GPS but EDGE is slower. It's all a trade-off.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #6
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

You can try them out for at least 15 to 30 days, in my opinion everyone is going to be bias with there carrier, I like Verizon. Try them out and see what works the best you can't always rely on a map.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
jtsunami09876
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: At&t

The best Curve is the 8330 with Verizon / Sprint, it has more memory 94mb I think it is compared to the 64mb of the Att Curve. Also has different front screen like the 8820 faceplate above the buttons.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:50 AM   #8
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8

This has been debated to death on multiple threads. LOL. A curve is a curve ... one has restricted GPS, EVDO, and lower battery life. The other has unrestricted GPS, EDGE, and longer battery life. What it boils down to is which carrier do you want to stick with. IMHO, in MY area (may be different for yours), VZW and AT&T have similar coverage albeit better quality with VZW. BUT I get my devices as soon as they come out so I chose AT&T because they get their devices before anyone else. This is just my personal choice though.

It mainly depends on your area, what quality of service the carrier can provide, and your needs as a consumer. Don't choose a service and be stuck for 2 years just because of ONE device .. that's just silly.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 05-18-2008, 03:08 AM   #9
jtsunami09876

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
This has been debated to death on multiple threads. LOL. A curve is a curve ... one has restricted GPS, EVDO, and lower battery life. The other has unrestricted GPS, EDGE, and longer battery life. What it boils down to is which carrier do you want to stick with. IMHO, in MY area (may be different for yours), VZW and AT&T have similar coverage albeit better quality with VZW. BUT I get my devices as soon as they come out so I chose AT&T because they get their devices before anyone else. This is just my personal choice though.

It mainly depends on your area, what quality of service the carrier can provide, and your needs as a consumer. Don't choose a service and be stuck for 2 years just because of ONE device .. that's just silly.
Not true a curve is not a curve,

Do these two look similar..I don't think so, one has the 8800 faceshield, the other has a cheaper curvish faceplate. The 8330 is a updated curve, 94mb memory, almost like the pearl 2 I would say.

8300 :

8330 :

Last edited by jtsunami09876; 05-18-2008 at 03:13 AM..
Old 05-18-2008, 03:15 AM   #10
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Default Video recording and 3G

Well, I think it all depends on what you intend on using the curve for. if you want free access to the GPS capability and you don't care about video or 3G, then go with one of the GSM carriers of the curve. if you want to be able to take video and you want the high speeds of 3G, then go with a CDMA version of the curve. presuming that all of the carriers provide decent service where you live, work, (and play of course, as they say), then look at the features of each and see which ones you would more rather have and which ones you wouldn't mind giving up. it's a trade-off. the 8330 curve (cdma version) seems to be an upgraded model and has more on board memory).

in the end...it's really just a trade-off matter concerning features.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #11
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

It is the exact same curve with a slightly different faceplate designed by verizon. All of the carriers customize it ... its not a "curve 2". The ONLY differences are the extra memory and different software version. Well ... and the CDMA vs GSM radios, but that doesn't count.

It is a LONG shot calling it a curve 2 or something higher. It is simply a curve with slightly more memory ... that is all.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:17 AM   #12
jtsunami09876

Yes it is a bit stretch, but having owned both of them, the Verizon 8330 feels a lot more solid than the 8310 of ATT.

Last edited by jtsunami09876; 05-18-2008 at 03:18 AM..
Old 05-18-2008, 03:22 AM   #13
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
Well, I think it all depends on what you intend on using the curve for. if you want free access to the GPS capability and you don't care about video or 3G, then go with one of the GSM carriers of the curve. if you want to be able to take video and you want the high speeds of 3G, then go with a CDMA version of the curve. presuming that all of the carriers provide decent service where you live, work, (and play of course, as they say), then look at the features of each and see which ones you would more rather have and which ones you wouldn't mind giving up. it's a trade-off. the 8330 curve (cdma version) seems to be an upgraded model and has more on board memory).

in the end...it's really just a trade-off matter concerning features.
This was not to be a carrier war post. As I stated ... IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE NEEDS OF THE CONSUMER. But ... since you want to turn this into a carrier war here is my feeling. For me, as someone who loves to keep up on technology, VZW is by far the worst carrier. So what if a device has slightly higher memory? The way I see it, the longer a device is out to market, the lower its value. And someone selling me an "older model with a slight addition" when the next generation is just around the corner for the SAME PRICE or more as the LAST generation sold a year ago gives me the feeling of being ripped off. FOR ME ... I want the new generation as it happens NOW, not a YEAR from now when someone says its okay for me to upgrade.

BUT ... this is just my personal feeling. Mine is no more correct than yours, and yours is no more correct than mine. I was simply stating in my previous post, differences in the two.

Last edited by numetheus; 05-18-2008 at 03:31 AM..
Old 05-18-2008, 03:26 AM   #14
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsunami09876 View Post
Yes it is a bit stretch, but having owned both of them, the Verizon 8330 feels a lot more solid than the 8310 of ATT.
Yep ... I have been with VZW for a few years. I have always purchased new phones as they come out. Sometimes 4 new smartphones in one year. If you are someone like me, who loves new tech as it comes out, you go with someone else ... enough said.

BUT most people do not spend money on phones like I do ... and for them, it should be all about the SERVICE, not about which curve is better.

Getting stuck in a 2 year contract PURELY on a choice of two similar devices on two separate carriers is just plain silly don't you think?

Old 05-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #15
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

And might I add the worst phone purchase I have made was the iPhone. LOL It was by far the best entertainment and web surfing phone. It was by far the worst messaging and email phone. LOL. Another disappointment was the Tilt.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #16
XBoogie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330

I would have to go with Sprint - even though I hate their policies and CS. Here is why they provide the best experience on the BlackBerry Curve 8330:

1. 3G!! I did not realize that this was going to be a 3G phone. Trust me - it is noticeable.
2. Coolest looking. The titanium faceplate with the blacked-out buttons give it a stealthy look.
3. Sprint TV and Sprint Music. These features by FAR enhance the cool gadget feature.
4. FREE GPS. The internal GPS is accessible to 3rd party vendors if you don't want to pay for Sprint Navigation (Telenav).
5. Extensive EV-DO network.
6. More Internal Memory!! 96MB vs only 64MB on GSM Curves. Plus it comes with an removable 1GB SD card already installed!
7. Coming soon - WiMAX!!!

Last edited by XBoogie; 05-18-2008 at 04:45 AM..
Old 05-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #17
jtsunami09876

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoogie View Post
I would have to go with Sprint - even though I hate their policies and CS. Here is why they provide the best experience on the BlackBerry Curve 8330:

1. 3G!! I did not realize that this was going to be a 3G phone. Trust me - it is noticeable.
2. Coolest looking. The titanium faceplate with the blacked-out buttons give it a stealthy look.
3. Sprint TV and Sprint Music. These features by FAR enhance the cool gadget feature.
4. FREE GPS. The internal GPS is accessible to 3rd party vendors if you don't want to pay for Sprint Navigation (Telenav).
5. Extensive EV-DO network.
6. More Internal Memory!! 96MB vs only 64MB on GSM Curves. Plus it comes with an removable 1GB SD card already installed!
7. Coming soon - WiMAX!!!
Wow I didn't know Sprints curve came with a 1gb sd card, that is a deal, also that it comes with WiMax technology built in your say? Even though I doubt WiMax will ever be a success it is cool.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #18
jtsunami09876

Quote:
And might I add the worst phone purchase I have made was the iPhone. LOL It was by far the best entertainment and web surfing phone. It was by far the worst messaging and email phone. LOL. Another disappointment was the Tilt.
Lol why didn't you like the Tilt, did you ROM flash it with any of the custom ROM on xda developers? I liked it, bad speakerphone, but with customs ROM's is becomes a pretty fast device.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #19
jtsunami09876

Quote:
Yep ... I have been with VZW for a few years. I have always purchased new phones as they come out. Sometimes 4 new smartphones in one year. If you are someone like me, who loves new tech as it comes out, you go with someone else ... enough said.

BUT most people do not spend money on phones like I do ... and for them, it should be all about the SERVICE, not about which curve is better.

Getting stuck in a 2 year contract PURELY on a choice of two similar devices on two separate carriers is just plain silly don't you think?
I feel that way too, I love new gadgets, and can't wait for the Bold, which is supposedly coming in September to VZW users and July for ATT users. So you do get it first, I would love to play around with it though.

I can't see why the iPhone is so successful, I have a iPod touch, great for music, but I hate typing on it, not sure how people do that, I need a physical keyboard! ahhh it drives me nuts sometimes.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #20
Dodge DeBoulet

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsunami09876 View Post
Wow I didn't know Sprints curve came with a 1gb sd card, that is a deal, also that it comes with WiMax technology built in your say? Even though I doubt WiMax will ever be a success it is cool.
Given that you can get 1GB MicroSD cards for under $10 now, it's not that great a deal, but it's nice to have it. You'll find 1GB too small, though

Sprint's Curve is exactly the same as Verizon's, hardware-wise. I don't know about WiMAX support (pretty sure it's not supported), but if it's hidden in there on Sprint, it's there on Verizon.
Closed Thread