numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsunami09876 View Post
Lol why didn't you like the Tilt, did you ROM flash it with any of the custom ROM on xda developers? I liked it, bad speakerphone, but with customs ROM's is becomes a pretty fast device.
I flashed it with a crapload of ROMs. Several ROMs based on the original latest AT&T ROM, and a few 6.1. I ended up with one I don't remember ... after being frustrated with the Dutty 6.1 release. The problem I had was GPS sucked with ALL of them. Yes I tried different radio versions, and the best one sucked with GPS acquisition time. TRIPPLE the 6.0 ROMs ... and GPS is high priority with me. I liked Voice Command though, I wish BB had something like that. It was very convenient to be able to say "show me my next appointment" and have it read the next thing in my calendar through the headset.

Overall I hated the WM experience because I need quick access to messaging, and it took several taps to do the same thing you can do on a BB with just one button. Seems trivial, but doing it a hundred times a day made the device tedious. BB is just way more convenient.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 05-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #22
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsunami09876 View Post
I feel that way too, I love new gadgets, and can't wait for the Bold, which is supposedly coming in September to VZW users and July for ATT users. So you do get it first, I would love to play around with it though.

I can't see why the iPhone is so successful, I have a iPod touch, great for music, but I hate typing on it, not sure how people do that, I need a physical keyboard! ahhh it drives me nuts sometimes.
I can see why iPhone is so successful. The music and multimedia is the best out of any device. I could go to iTunes, rent a movie for $3, have it sent to the unit, take the phone to a friends house, and plug it into their TV for a movie night. And it would look just as good as popping in a DVD. I actually like the convenience of iTunes. No other multimedia phone can do that. My friends an I have a universal iPod dock connected to OUR televisions. So its like ... "OH I have a movie on my iPhone!" I plug it in, and just watch a nice high resolution full feature movie with absolutely no hickups. It just works. And getting the movies on there too ABSOLUTELY no effort ... the movies just went automatically as part of my configured sync. THAT is what I miss most.

Aside from kick ass multimedia, you cannot beat the web browsing on iPhone. The multitouch, sensitive and effortless touch screen, and web browser behavior makes the experience top notch. I found it very comfortable to browse on it, something I never found possible on ANY other device.

As far as typing, you can type full speed because of the screen. It is not a pressure screen like ALL other smartphones. It is capacitive so it works with electrical conductivity of your fingers. Since there is no pressure required, very sensitive, very accurate, and very fast ... you can type fast on it. I approached same speed as me typing on BB with it. Something not possible with any other smartphone.

BUT, it sucks for messaging and email ... so now I am back to my BB and bought a 32gb iPod touch so now I have best of both worlds.

Last edited by numetheus; 05-18-2008 at 10:24 AM..
Old 05-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #23
novafluxx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
And might I add the worst phone purchase I have made was the iPhone. LOL It was by far the best entertainment and web surfing phone. It was by far the worst messaging and email phone. LOL. Another disappointment was the Tilt.
Yes, I went from my 8100 with T-Mobile to AT&T, because of coverage. I got the iPhone.

Returned it 4 days later after a weekend of testing.

I missed my copy and paste, I wanted GPS, I wanted video...and I didn't want to buy it only to be surprised by the iPhone 2 later this year or something, and feel like I wasted my money on a device I wasn't happy with thats costs 400 dollars. The curve was $199 with a $100 rebate. It may not be as fancy, but I don't feel like I wasted a penny!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #24
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
This was not to be a carrier war post. As I stated ... IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE NEEDS OF THE CONSUMER. But ... since you want to turn this into a carrier war here is my feeling. For me, as someone who loves to keep up on technology, VZW is by far the worst carrier. So what if a device has slightly higher memory? The way I see it, the longer a device is out to market, the lower its value. And someone selling me an "older model with a slight addition" when the next generation is just around the corner for the SAME PRICE or more as the LAST generation sold a year ago gives me the feeling of being ripped off. FOR ME ... I want the new generation as it happens NOW, not a YEAR from now when someone says its okay for me to upgrade.

BUT ... this is just my personal feeling. Mine is no more correct than yours, and yours is no more correct than mine. I was simply stating in my previous post, differences in the two.

numetheus...dude...my post was not creating a carrier war. i was simply saying that GSM carriers have one version of the Curve and CDMA versions have another. in other words...no matter what you want to think, each carrier will have a version of the phone with certain features. and guess what...that parting line tends to fall between CDMA and GSM. granted, sprint may have left the GPS for open access and verizon didn't...but they are both "GPS capable" and they both have more memory and they both can take video. also...keep in mind that when you say more memory, it's storage memory...NOT RAM. the verizon curve won't necessarily run faster than the other curves. in fact, one might expect the verizon one to eventually start running slower once it gets filled up.

but anyways, i don't want to pick a fight with you, but you directly quote my post and used all caps and i just wanted to voice my opinion in that i was not creating a carrier war and i was simply stating the facts about the Curve model differences and the associating type of service they are for (GSM or Verizon)
Old 05-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #25
Tangocore
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

since you get full at&t coverage, you could get the bold
Old 05-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #26
supermanfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS
Default GSM Buzz = Unsuitable for Business Uee

If you go with AT&T, make sure to get the one with Wifi (send/receive data over wifi whenever possible), so you are not the guy with the GSM phone creating that obtrusive GSM buzzing sounds on business calls (picked up by your regular phone). I have spent too many hours with my AT&T/GSM phone tossed into the far corner of the room to avoid interfering with regular calls to consider being that guy again.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #27
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanfan View Post
If you go with AT&T, make sure to get the one with Wifi (send/receive data over wifi whenever possible), so you are not the guy with the GSM phone creating that obtrusive GSM buzzing sounds on business calls (picked up by your regular phone). I have spent too many hours with my AT&T/GSM phone tossed into the far corner of the room to avoid interfering with regular calls to consider being that guy again.
oh mannn...that is the biggest pain! i know exactly what you mean. it doesn't cause much of a problem for regular GSM phones, but since blackberry's are constantly sending/receiving data it makes that noise. luckily tho, in my office we are far enough apart that it doesn't affect the telephones. my old tmobile phone use to create that buzzing noise in a pair of noise canceling headphones that i have, and i hope that when i start using them at the office that the guys next to me with the ATT blackberries won't give me a "buzzing headache" lol
Old 05-19-2008, 02:56 AM   #28
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Honestly...you have to see what is available in your area.

However, I've used BB for many years, and had many many carriers. T-Mobile is hands down the best, and ATT is hands down the absolute worst. Everyone else is kind of just mediocre.

Generally people moving into blackberry's will benefit from some good solid customer support. T-Mobile has really invested in BB tech support, and I've never had an issue with them. ATT on the other hand has really poor customer support...are not really well educated on blackberry, and their plans are non-competitive. Additionally it is almost completely useless for data...you can probably attribute that to all the iPhone users though. Since most iPhone users are on ATT, the network is so bogged down that loading a simple page to find out movie showtimes often takes longer than calling the movie theater itself.

Oh,and UMA > *

Good Luck.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:02 AM   #29
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post

However, I've used BB for many years, and had many many carriers. T-Mobile is hands down the best, and ATT is hands down the absolute worst. Everyone else is kind of just mediocre.

Generally people moving into blackberry's will benefit from some good solid customer support. T-Mobile has really invested in BB tech support, and I've never had an issue with them. ATT on the other hand has really poor customer support...are not really well educated on blackberry, and their plans are non-competitive. Additionally it is almost completely useless for data...you can probably attribute that to all the iPhone users though. Since most iPhone users are on ATT, the network is so bogged down that loading a simple page to find out movie showtimes often takes longer than calling the movie theater itself.

Oh,and UMA > *

Good Luck.
yup ... this only proves that it is location specific. I have been with all of them except Sprint. Tmobile for 2 years. I have done my fair share of traveling ... and from my experience, Tmobile has one of the most spotty coverage nationwide. The best has been Verizon and AT&T. In my area, AT&T and VZW are actually very similar.

Tmobile may be the best in your neck of the woods. And nobody gives a rats behind how experienced you or I are in which carriers we have been in, because it boils down to what they have in THEIR neck of the woods. Although, comparing Tmobile coverage maps NATIONWIDE against Verizon and AT&T, you will quickly find that Tmobile is far more spotty.

Just a little heads up ... your experience with carriers means absolutely jack because it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the nation.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:07 AM   #30
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

Oh,and UMA > *

Good Luck.
And how is it completely useless for data? I get 3G everywhere I go. And google searches will tell you that people have done tests and found AT&T 3G faster than Sprint EVDA for a laptop connect solution. So again, you are basing things completely in YOUR small neck of the woods. If you get no coverage from AT&T and don't get 3G from AT&T, maybe you need to move out of the hole your in.

Again ... your mileage will vary depending on location. Verizon and AT&T have the best coverage nationwide. That is fact. But like I said .... that doesn't matter as long as you choose coverage FOR YOUR AREA.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:11 AM   #31
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
yup ... this only proves that it is location specific. I have been with all of them except Sprint. Tmobile for 2 years. I have done my fair share of traveling ... and from my experience, Tmobile has one of the most spotty coverage nationwide. The best has been Verizon and AT&T. In my area, AT&T and VZW are actually very similar.

Tmobile may be the best in your neck of the woods. And nobody gives a rats behind how experienced you or I are in which carriers we have been in, because it boils down to what they have in THEIR neck of the woods. Although, comparing Tmobile coverage maps NATIONWIDE against Verizon and AT&T, you will quickly find that Tmobile is far more spotty.

Just a little heads up ... your experience with carriers means absolutely jack because it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the nation.
Agreed. That is why I said the main thing is to see what works in your area. However in a metropolitan area like mine, often considered the "capital of the world", every service provider offers peak service. Of course if you want signal in the Subway, you will have to be a Verizon customer. Aside from that, since every provider gets 5 bars out here....T-Mobile clearly stands out. I am sure they have spotty coverage across the states, however their customer service is second to none. I truly mean that.

Don't try this at home, but over the years I've swapped out many blackberry's with them at no charge (or shipping cost) to me, even when the error could be my fault (dropping, water damage, etc).

They are truly a customer-oriented company and are officially "owned" by Deutsche Telekom. Aside from the fact that DT is a solid company, if you do travel globally you are in very good hands. Having the 8320 curve as opposed to many others is a big benefit, especially to me since you have the ability to call back home without being charged roaming when using the wifi feature.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:17 AM   #32
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Agreed. That is why I said the main thing is to see what works in your area. However in a metropolitan area like mine, often considered the "capital of the world", every service provider offers peak service. Of course if you want signal in the Subway, you will have to be a Verizon customer. Aside from that, since every provider gets 5 bars out here....T-Mobile clearly stands out. I am sure they have spotty coverage across the states, however their customer service is second to none. I truly mean that.

Don't try this at home, but over the years I've swapped out many blackberry's with them at no charge (or shipping cost) to me, even when the error could be my fault (dropping, water damage, etc).

They are truly a customer-oriented company and are officially "owned" by Deutsche Telekom. Aside from the fact that DT is a solid company, if you do travel globally you are in very good hands. Having the 8320 curve as opposed to many others is a big benefit, especially to me since you have the ability to call back home without being charged roaming when using the wifi feature.
I do agree that Tmobile has the best support. Most friendly. In my experience, AT&T has a bunch of untrained idiots, and VZW reps will try their hardest to screw up your account, making your bill swell. Then you have to get it credited, and try your hardest to get the rep fired by going to corporate. I know this from personal experience. Before I quit I moved to get at least 3 reps fired for screwing up my account. In one instance my bill was close to $500!!!!!

Anyhow, Tmobile rocks in that regard. As far as service here, it sucks. In your area its probably best.

Oh and I'm sorry for sounding harsh with my previous comment. LOL its late and I'm up writing a test for my students in the morning.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:22 AM   #33
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
And how is it completely useless for data? I get 3G everywhere I go. And google searches will tell you that people have done tests and found AT&T 3G faster than Sprint EVDA for a laptop connect solution. So again, you are basing things completely in YOUR small neck of the woods. If you get no coverage from AT&T and don't get 3G from AT&T, maybe you need to move out of the hole your in.

Again ... your mileage will vary depending on location. Verizon and AT&T have the best coverage nationwide. That is fact. But like I said .... that doesn't matter as long as you choose coverage FOR YOUR AREA.
Mileage does vary depending on location, again I agree. However, the data portion is severely a downgrade on ATT, especially when compared to Verizon. Everytime a rep is asked, the consensus seems to be that there are actually "too many iPhone users".

We as the general public have to realize what is involved in providing consumers with a cellular signal which has the ability to transfer voice as well as data packets. While Apple roamed around looking for a big name to sign with, neither them nor ATT accurately predicted the amount of customers which would sign up, and how the iPhone would actually be used. Well, long story short, a great amount of people signed up, and are now using their iPhones for any data related activity they can get their hands on. This takes away from overall bandwidth, further reducing the speed of ATTs network. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what device you are using...but if your service provider's network is bogged down, your web experience will suffer the same fate.

Also, in regards to the "3G" comment. Our country should be embarrassed to even label service & devices as 3G. When compared to many European countries....well let's just say there is no comparison. Take this from someone who travels their fair share.

Again, to not go too far off topic....selecting a carrier, phone, plan, etc needs to be conducive to your local environment and it's offerings. You may find that ATT is the best fit for you, or you may choose to go with Verizon or otherwise. At the end of the day, you are the best person to make that decision. Additionally, many carriers allow you to test their phones and service for a 14-30 day period. I would strong advise this after you have done preliminary homework. Just a word of caution: don't port your numbers over from one carrier to another until you are sure the one you want to stick with. Once you leave a carrier and go to another, the one you left has to approve the transfer of the number. While they generally always approve it, sometimes it can stay in que for an extended period of time, delaying the switch.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #34
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Its actually not bogged down, or at least not percievable. Browsing with an AT&T hspda card is easily faster than DSL and in performance tests as fast or faster than Sprint. So how is iPhone bogging it down? I'm sure people here will agree its not bogged down like you say.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:27 AM   #35
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I do agree that Tmobile has the best support. Most friendly. In my experience, AT&T has a bunch of untrained idiots, and VZW reps will try their hardest to screw up your account, making your bill swell. Then you have to get it credited, and try your hardest to get the rep fired by going to corporate. I know this from personal experience. Before I quit I moved to get at least 3 reps fired for screwing up my account. In one instance my bill was close to $500!!!!!

Anyhow, Tmobile rocks in that regard. As far as service here, it sucks. In your area its probably best.

Oh and I'm sorry for sounding harsh with my previous comment. LOL its late and I'm up writing a test for my students in the morning.
No problem, no offense was taken. I encourage free speech as long as we are successfully debating without degrading each other.

About the ATT and "untrained idiots" -- those were your words, but I won't disagree with you one bit

See for most of us, customer support is huge. If their prices ended up being higher, I would rather pay the extra $10.00 a month to avoid the aggravation of having to call to have a bill adjusted, and so forth. That is one thing I absolutely hated about Verizon, that each monthly bill was inconsistent with the last while no additional minutes or services were used. I generally didn't have a problem with how ATT billed me, but then again, I was on a plan with enough minutes more than I would ever use. However, I will say that ATT has excessive fees and taxes in my area which does make them a bit unfavorable to say the least.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:34 AM   #36
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Its actually not bogged down, or at least not percievable. Browsing with an AT&T hspda card is easily faster than DSL and in performance tests as fast or faster than Sprint. So how is iPhone bogging it down? I'm sure people here will agree its not bogged down like you say.
Well, this really depends on your definition of bogged down. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Bloomberg App for BB, but that, like some others provide as close as you can get to real time market data. When your network does not seem to want to work in sync with the service, it makes it quite hard to accomplish your tasks in a proper and efficient manner. Especially more so on a blackberry as many users are on this platform for an important business function.

Previously, I used loading a movie showtimes page as an example since most could relate. If it loads in 10 seconds vs 5 seconds, not really a big issue. However, when it comes to business and staying on top of things and staying competitive with the next guy, that 5 seconds can be a make it or break it thing.

Regarding the HSPDA - I am not entirely sure about this, as my source is a rep who handles various accounts for most of the different providers we are discussing. However, I am told that the slowdown on BB can be attributed in a big way to the over population of the iPhone users on the network as well as a dire need for spec upgrades in BB (processor to be exact). Now on HSPDA, the same gentleman informs me that this does not pull from the same network handheld devices such as the BB and iPhone would so one could assume it has a higher priority. Then again, don't quote me on any of the HSPDA technology, because I have looked into it, but never used it.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:36 AM   #37
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce
Quote:

No problem, no offense was taken. I encourage free speech as long as we are successfully debating without degrading each other.

About the ATT and "untrained idiots" -- those were your words, but I won't disagree with you one bit

See for most of us, customer support is huge. If their prices ended up being higher, I would rather pay the extra $10.00 a month to avoid the aggravation of having to call to have a bill adjusted, and so forth. That is one thing I absolutely hated about Verizon, that each monthly bill was inconsistent with the last while no additional minutes or services were used. I generally didn't have a problem with how ATT billed me, but then again, I was on a plan with enough minutes more than I would ever use. However, I will say that ATT has excessive fees and taxes in my area which does make them a bit unfavorable to say the least.
Hey I'm not an ATT fanboy so I will tell you that my favorite carrier is my favorite ONLY because I am a device junky and they deliver the goods. So I can say with certainty that my carrier has retarded people in customer service. The coverage is good too though.

One thing is certain though friend, is that Dawg will attack you for talking badly about Verizon. Lol

Old 05-19-2008, 03:39 AM   #38
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Well, this really depends on your definition of bogged down. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Bloomberg App for BB, but that, like some others provide as close as you can get to real time market data. When your network does not seem to want to work in sync with the service, it makes it quite hard to accomplish your tasks in a proper and efficient manner. Especially more so on a blackberry as many users are on this platform for an important business function.

Previously, I used loading a movie showtimes page as an example since most could relate. If it loads in 10 seconds vs 5 seconds, not really a big issue. However, when it comes to business and staying on top of things and staying competitive with the next guy, that 5 seconds can be a make it or break it thing.

Regarding the HSPDA - I am not entirely sure about this, as my source is a rep who handles various accounts for most of the different providers we are discussing. However, I am told that the slowdown on BB can be attributed in a big way to the over population of the iPhone users on the network as well as a dire need for spec upgrades in BB (processor to be exact). Now on HSPDA, the same gentleman informs me that this does not pull from the same network handheld devices such as the BB and iPhone would so one could assume it has a higher priority. Then again, don't quote me on any of the HSPDA technology, because I have looked into it, but never used it.
Yeah. I can see EDGE speed being bogged down a bit. But that will change once the Bold is in my hands come release time. HSPDA on att is super fast.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:41 AM   #39
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Hey I'm not an ATT fanboy so I will tell you that my favorite carrier is my favorite ONLY because I am a device junky and they deliver the goods. So I can say with certainty that my carrier has retarded people in customer service. The coverage is good too though.

One thing is certain though friend, is that Dawg will attack you for talking badly about Verizon. Lol
Ahh, well it's good to socialize with other device junkies for sure. This forum is great for that.

I don't really have much against Verizon, I originally stopped using them due to their offerings, or lack thereof. The only gripe I had with them were my inconsistent bills. Other than that, their network probably does have the best coverage within the USA. So one can make many positive claims about Verizon which will overshadow the negative ones.

For me, I am sticking with TMO since they offer the best package overall in terms of price, functionality, support, and flexibility. The wifi feature is GREAT when it comes to traveling abroad. That was the deciding factor that made me pay the $175 to terminate a previous contract with another provider. On the flipside though, I would like to think I saved in the long run!

Good luck creating that test, don't make it too hard now, give the little critters a break, haha!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:44 AM   #40
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Ahh, well it's good to socialize with other device junkies for sure. This forum is great for that.

I don't really have much against Verizon, I originally stopped using them due to their offerings, or lack thereof. The only gripe I had with them were my inconsistent bills. Other than that, their network probably does have the best coverage within the USA. So one can make many positive claims about Verizon which will overshadow the negative ones.

For me, I am sticking with TMO since they offer the best package overall in terms of price, functionality, support, and flexibility. The wifi feature is GREAT when it comes to traveling abroad. That was the deciding factor that made me pay the $175 to terminate a previous contract with another provider. On the flipside though, I would like to think I saved in the long run!

Good luck creating that test, don't make it too hard now, give the little critters a break, haha!
Oh their not little critters. They are all past drinking age so I'm sticking it to them! LOL

Closed Thread