Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
bucketmouth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon 5.0.0.xxx
Default why does 8800 series exsist?

Please Login to Remove!

i understand the corporate side of not having wifi/camera....but so many models!! just have a model with everything wifi,camera,gps.....and another without those features for corporate use. all i know is 8800 series seems obsolete.....why buy this when 8300 will be out soon? seems like we are all missing some peice of the puzzle.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Quote:
all i know is 8800 series seems obsolete.....why buy this when 8300 will be out soon?
Are you serious?!?!? Do you honestly believe a company like RIM would flood the market with too many handsets? It surely must be obvious to everyone that the devices are not of the same specification, and therefore one is not a replacement for another - they are positioned side by side.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Why do Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, Sanyo and the other manufacturers release so many handsets in a year MONEY, and consumer DEMAND! Now this is not the usual MO for RIM they have made it known that they would like to capture more of the everyday consumer as they already dominate the corporate and business segment.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
bucketmouth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon 5.0.0.xxx

yes, i do get it.....just sucks for us consumers who just want it all ..not in little peices...8820 wow i get wifi, 8830 now i get a camera.....i want it all....but you are right it is about making money.......
Old 03-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Personally I am very excited by the release of all the devices!!!! Gives me a choice. Only problem is that I cannot afford each and every one of them!!! Which means Ill just have to research and make a very informed decision about my next device. Thanks RIM
Old 03-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketmouth
all i know is 8800 series seems obsolete.....why buy this when 8300 will be out soon?.
This is exactly why RIM ,and other manufactures, don't like BG and similiar sites leaking information about unreleased products. It hurts sales of the current device.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-16-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Agreed D_fisher

But it excites me knowing that thing are coming down the pipeline. I am on a dealer line so I get to pay retail regardless.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #8
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner
Personally I am very excited by the release of all the devices!!!! Gives me a choice. Only problem is that I cannot afford each and every one of them!!! Which means Ill just have to research and make a very informed decision about my next device. Thanks RIM
I 100% agree. The reality is we all love blackberries but our needs and wants are very different. I look forward to the day when there is a blackberry that has everything I want instead of me settling for a device just because it is a blackberry.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
RochesterBBUser
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
This is exactly why RIM ,and other manufactures, don't like BG and similiar sites leaking information about unreleased products. It hurts sales of the current device.

Not sure I agree with the above. BG is not just leaking details that someone emailed to him (e.g. modern day Deep Throat) He actually has the 8300 device in hand. I assume he would only get that directly from RIM. Since RIM is sending it to him, I further assume that they know what he is going to do with it (e.g. publish details about it).

Scott
Old 03-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #10
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

I think assuming BG was given a device (any device) by RIM is wildly off the mark. Think about all the companies writing third party software for devices who need access to evaluation devices, think about all the top tier dealers, service providers, carrier employees who have access to evaluation devices and then stupidly chose not to keep them under wraps. Yes BG has friends in high places, but those friends are not RIM. I for one get access to evaluation units from RIM (I've had my 8800 for months) but I value the fact I get it and I'd never put my job or my companies relationship with RIM on the line by leaking information all over the place - that would be giving up a lifetime of access to early equipment for a brief moment of online fame. The fact is BG doesn't care who he takes with him - and people have lost their jobs because of him before - that's their choice and risk to pass info on to him, but none the less he's exploiting it.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #11
xxaarraa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular

Quote:
Not entirely true. Leaks often originate from inside the company, its a way to generate and hold interest in a product that is yet to release. If you know an 8300 is going to come out, it might keep you from running and getting a Treo.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Not entirely true. Leaks often originate from inside the company, its a way to generate and hold interest in a product that is yet to release. If you know an 8300 is going to come out, it might keep you from running and getting a Treo.

Just knowing that BlackBerry is available keeps me from a TREO. WOULD TAKE ALOT to go to a TREO actually will never happen
Old 03-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #13
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

It's all good. I love the BB platform. True some information does get leaked from the "inside" and sometimes this is done intentionally to send new gadget detectives on a wild goose chase. It is unfortunate that some leak information that may or maynot negatively affect the company or an individual.

I love the variaty BB is coming out with. They are opening up to a whole new demographic and showing what the platform is capable of. Everybody has different wants and needs. That's why there are so many varieties.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
RochesterBBUser
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin
I think assuming BG was given a device (any device) by RIM is wildly off the mark. Think about all the companies writing third party software for devices who need access to evaluation devices, think about all the top tier dealers, service providers, carrier employees who have access to evaluation devices and then stupidly chose not to keep them under wraps. Yes BG has friends in high places, but those friends are not RIM. I for one get access to evaluation units from RIM (I've had my 8800 for months) but I value the fact I get it and I'd never put my job or my companies relationship with RIM on the line by leaking information all over the place - that would be giving up a lifetime of access to early equipment for a brief moment of online fame. The fact is BG doesn't care who he takes with him - and people have lost their jobs because of him before - that's their choice and risk to pass info on to him, but none the less he's exploiting it.
Very fair points. I did not think of it from that perspective. Thanks for the insights.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #15
Fungineer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Leaks from inside the company come from people who are breaking their NDA, and often they get fired for it very quickly.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #16
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Are you serious?!?!? Do you honestly believe a company like RIM would flood the market with too many handsets? It surely must be obvious to everyone that the devices are not of the same specification, and therefore one is not a replacement for another - they are positioned side by side.
He answered far better than I could have so see his response for my version
Old 03-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungineer
Leaks from inside the company come from people who are breaking their NDA, and often they get fired for it very quickly.
RIM is very serious about controlling leaks. From what I have heard internal employees at RIM have leaked pictures of new devices and RIM has gone as far as to match the grain of the wood on the desk to the find the leak and terminate that employee.

Quote:
Leaks often originate from inside the company, its a way to generate and hold interest in a product that is yet to release.
No argument from me that leaks are sometimes planned and released by the vendor. But I would bet my job that RIM did not intentionally leak 8300 info so soon after the the release of the 8800.

Quote:
I for one get access to evaluation units from RIM (I've had my 8800 for months) but I value the fact I get it and I'd never put my job or my companies relationship with RIM on the line by leaking information all over the place - that would be giving up a lifetime of access to early equipment for a brief moment of online fame.
Agreed. I have also had access to unreleased information (mostly future BES info) from RIM because of my employeers relationship with RIM. All employees at my employeer are covered by the NDA that was signed even though I did not personally sign it.

Leaking any of that information has never been a consideration. Loosing my job is not worth it. Who is going to pay my mortgage if I get fired? BG? Engadget? Not likely.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by d_fisher; 03-20-2007 at 06:03 PM..
Old 03-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #18
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
RIM is very serious about controlling leaks. From what I have heard internal employees at RIM have leaked pictures of new devices and RIM has gone as far as to match the grain of the wood on the desk to the find the leak and terminate that employee.
Now that *is* hardcore!!!!! BUT I guess you really can't blame them.....
Old 03-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #19
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Leaking any of that information has never been a consideration. Loosing my job is not worth it. Who is going to pay my mortgage if I get fired? BG? Engadget? Not likely.
I *might* be willing to trade my son (he is 14 and can do yard work ect...) for an 8300.....
Old 03-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #20
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I don't think RIM releases a single device without doing a fair amount of market research, so when a device does hit the streets there is sufficient demand and the profit will be there.

Corporations like standardizing so if someone like Goldman Sachs decides to go with a new model Blackberry they'll buy a metric assload of one model. That's where the 8800 will do a brisk business. Adding consumer features like WiFi or a camera will broaded that model's appeal and capture some of the individual consumer market, which makes good sense, but why not combine that with another model targeted more at the individual consumer?That's where the 8300 comes in. Just like the Pearl was a non-corporate, consumer-oriented device so will the 8300 be. At least that's how I see it.
Closed Thread