Old 08-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
mvincelli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 21F4CA69
Carrier: TMobile
Post BIS Internet Question.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone, I looked in FAQ's Googl'ed and could not find an answer to my question. I just had my 8320 T-Mobile Curve replaced under warranty. I am using BIS, I do not have BES on my Curve. When I open the Blackberry Browser for some sites the page that opens is the mobile version of the web site even though I am entering the "Normal" web address and not a mm,mobile or wap address. Most other web sites open the pages like if I was opening them on my Home Computer. The Blackberry that was replaced never had this problem. I am sure it is some setting that needs to be changed, I just can't find it. Any Ideas?
Thanks!!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Some websites have put a script in to detect a mobile device. there isnt anything you can do about those ones. You can go into your browser > menu > options > browser config and set the emulation mode to IE and this will prevent SOME sites from detecting the mobile browser.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
mvincelli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi, That does explain it, I will try that.
Thanks!!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000 4.6.0.67)

Let us know how it works
Old 08-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
mvincelli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi Sith, I tried switching the Browser to IE, It did not do the trick. It seems as you said some sites must be running a script that knows I am a mobile device. If I find another way to correct this, I will plan on posting it. Thanks for all of your help with this. One site I have a problem with is www.newsradio88.com which is the local All news radio site in the New York Tri-State Area.
Thanks!!

Last edited by mvincelli; 08-04-2008 at 07:55 AM..
Old 08-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
bushako
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: 1,2 buckle my shoe
Carrier: etisalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvincelli View Post
Hi Sith, I tried switching the Browser to IE, It did not do the trick. It seems as you said some sites must be running a script that knows I am a mobile device. If I find another way to correct this, I will plan on posting it. Thanks for all of your help with this. One site I have a problem with is WCBS NEWSRADIO 880 - Homepage - WCBS Newsradio 880 which is the local All news radio site in the New York Tri-State Area.
Thanks!!
Well why dont you simply download and install Opera Web Browser on your BB. Based on my personal experience its faster and displays websites almost exactly the same as you see on your desktop. It has this cool feature where it shows you the whole content of a website as you see on a desktop and allows you too zoom in and out on any area you choose...try it..its free
Old 08-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
bushako
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 1,2 buckle my shoe
Carrier: etisalat

some people also mentioned that in opera browser you can even do online banking which normally cannot be done on the bb browser..
Old 08-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushako View Post
Well why dont you simply download and install Opera Web Browser on your BB. Based on my personal experience its faster and displays websites almost exactly the same as you see on your desktop. It has this cool feature where it shows you the whole content of a website as you see on a desktop and allows you too zoom in and out on any area you choose...try it..its free
FYI -- BB Browser in 4.5 has this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushako View Post
some people also mentioned that in opera browser you can even do online banking which normally cannot be done on the bb browser..
That depends partially on the banking site and partially on your browser settings. I can use both of my banks online sites without any problems.

Quote:
Hi Sith, I tried switching the Browser to IE, It did not do the trick.
Are you sure you edited the options for the correct browser? After you choose Browser Configuration at the top there's the selection field for the browser: Blackberry Browser, Internet Browser, Media Net (or whatever your carrier calls the WAP browser). Each has its own settings.

Switching my BB browser's emulation to IE seems to bring the "full" WCBS NEWSRADIO 880 - Homepage - WCBS Newsradio 880 site when I use the BB browser. Setting emulation to Blackberry brings up the mobile version. Changing the emulation for the BB browser does not affect my Internet or WAP browsers...

Last edited by takeshi; 08-04-2008 at 10:14 AM..
Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
mvincelli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi Again, I will give Opera Mini a try Bushako, Thanks. Takeshi, as for the correct setting, I set it to Microsoft IE. Mt other choices are, Blackberry, Openwave (WAP), Openwave Gateway, MS Pocket IE and Netscape. It is still coming up as the mobile page at WCBS NEWSRADIO 880 - Homepage - WCBS Newsradio 880. I will plan on loading Opera Mini and let everyong know if that works. Thanks!!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Have you cleared you cache and cookies since you updated your settings? This may be the issue.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #11
BCollins521
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: Ask...
Carrier: T-Mobile

Most of the time I usually just use Opera if I want it to show the regular page, plus I like Opera's scroll down a page by moving left and right better than the space on the BB browser

Get My Themes Here! | [email address] | Twitter
Old 08-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #12
sheldonbk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Related, I'm finding that the 4.5.0.55 browser doesn't always diplay in columns even when that is the selection. It can be very hard to navigate when you can't see what you're typing in a text box that's wider than the BB screen.

Sheldon
Old 08-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747

Interesting, I don't have the option for Blackberry Browser.... My only options are Internet Browser, and Media Net.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Hi Again, I will give Opera Mini a try Bushako, Thanks. Takeshi, as for the correct setting, I set it to Microsoft IE. Mt other choices are, Blackberry, Openwave (WAP), Openwave Gateway, MS Pocket IE and Netscape. It is still coming up as the mobile page at WCBS NEWSRADIO 880 - Homepage - WCBS Newsradio 880. I will plan on loading Opera Mini and let everyong know if that works. Thanks!!
I think you missed my point. Are you setting that option for the correct browser? The Browser Configuration page can apply to up to 3 different browsers on the BB: WAP, Internet/Browser & Blackberry Browser (BES/MDS). Each of those browsers has its own distinct settings.

Look at the top right of the Browser Configuration page. You need to first choose the browser that you intend to adjust the settings for. Then set the emulation. If you edit the emulation setting for one of the "other" browsers then the emulation setting will have no effect. This is a crude analogy but it's kinda like adjusting the settings in Firefox and complaining that IE still doesn't work quite right. The analogy kinda falls apart because IE and Firefox don't share a settings page like the built-in browsers on the BB do.

What's the name of the browser icon -- verbatim from your BB screen when you have the icon selected/highlighted?

I have confirmed that setting the emulation to IE will do exactly what you're looking for and specifically with the URL you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Interesting, I don't have the option for Blackberry Browser.... My only options are Internet Browser, and Media Net.
You only get the Blackberry Browser if you're on BES. It runs through BES/MDS (i.e. you're not missing anything if you're on BIS only).

Last edited by takeshi; 08-06-2008 at 03:28 PM..
Old 08-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
goofyj

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Tmobile

I got another BIS & BES question... I have an 8700C that I use for work which is connected via BES. I got a 8310 (hand down from a friend who got an Iphone) which I would like to replace for my 8700c. When I insert the sim card from 8700 to 8310 the phone and internet works, but I don't get my work email on it. So if I set up a BIS account on the 8310 with my work email address, would I get my work emails on the 8310? or would I have to add the 8310 to the BES server? If anyone know, please let me know. I don't know if my work would let me add the 8310 to the BES server, so I'm trying to find a work around to it.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #16
ChefJon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyj View Post
I got another BIS & BES question... I have an 8700C that I use for work which is connected via BES. I got a 8310 (hand down from a friend who got an Iphone) which I would like to replace for my 8700c. When I insert the sim card from 8700 to 8310 the phone and internet works, but I don't get my work email on it. So if I set up a BIS account on the 8310 with my work email address, would I get my work emails on the 8310? or would I have to add the 8310 to the BES server? If anyone know, please let me know. I don't know if my work would let me add the 8310 to the BES server, so I'm trying to find a work around to it.
You have to do an Enterprise Activation using the password that your BES admin gives you in order to have e-mail, calendar and everything else to work on the new device. Otherwise you just have phone and internet.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #17
goofyj

Thanks ChefJon.

Would SMS work from the 8310 even if it's not added with BES?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
ChefJon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyj View Post
Thanks ChefJon.

Would SMS work from the 8310 even if it's not added with BES?
My guess is that SMS and PIN messages would work since they are not directed through the Blackberry server, but when I was the BES admin I never played around with what did work if you were not activated on the server.

I ran my BES like the wild west. I always had extra licenses so if someone wanted on with their own device I would let them. I just had them agree in an e-mail that their device was unsupported and if I ran out of licenses they would be removed from the BES until their use was approved through the regular departmental channels.

I also didn't lock anything down and people could install whatever they wanted. I had an executive chef who loaded all kinds of apps on his Blackberry. I'd take a look at his Blackberry thru the BES and see the stuff he had on there. Then I'd see him in the hallway and ask how he liked using XYZ app and I'd find out the low down on some cool stuff.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #19
goofyj

oh wow.. crazy stuff.. I didn't know you can see what's installed on the devices through BES. I may get in trouble with all the app that's installed on my company blackberry....
Old 08-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
mvincelli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi Takeshi thanks for taking the time to assist me with this,In reply to your instructions,
The top right Browser I am editing is Internet Browser
The emulation has been changed to Microsoft IE

Your question,
What's the name of the browser icon -- verbatim from your BB screen when you have the icon selected/highlighted?

When I hightlight the Internet Icon it says Browser in the bottom middle of the screen. When I click on the Browser Icon,it brings up my bookmarks. I have not Bookmarked the newsradio88 page, I have been going to "GoTo" in options and typing it in there. When I activate the Browser it says Balckberry with the Blackberry Logo to the left of Blackberry all in pretty Blackberry Blue.

NickfromILI also cleared cookies and history. I am still planning to load Opera and will post here what happens.
Thanks!!

Last edited by mvincelli; 08-08-2008 at 02:02 PM..
Closed Thread