Old 05-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
greenhand
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default T-Mobile + WiFi = Curve?

Please Login to Remove!

Who knows...but the writing is on the wall, the Wall Street Journal that is.

How Wi-Fi Can Extend T-Mobile's Range - WSJ.com

We can only hope.

-Green
Old 05-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
scottwal

Model: 8100
PIN: Craving a new BB!
Carrier: T-Mo

Let's hope so... Anyone with an account want to post the full article?

This is such a hard time to be a T-mo user dying for a new BlackBerry... Here's hoping for a blockbuster T-mo accouncement at WES!
Old 05-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

They just released the 'new' 8800... :shrug:

The 8300 IMHO is on hold for T-Mo until they get T-Mo @ Home worked out and ready to roll....

I am not really interested in camera and wifi.... Love the GPS on the 8800.... Might have to give the 83xx a whirl though when it's out, just to say I did...
Old 05-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
hookem12387
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I think I've finally come to the conclusion that I can do without wifi. I assume the 8300 w/o wifi will be cheaper than the 8320 with it? If so, I'm quite happy with a full qwerty and a camera, and I wont be in the market for anything else until we can finally get a 3G blackberry on tmo
Old 05-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

There's any number of potential issues that may limit the widespread adoption of these cellular / wifi phones -- not the least of:

1. Support from the carrier will be a nightmare - can you just imagine what a pain it will be to support connections to different routers, etc?

2. If this doesn't prove to be a seamless transfer between wifi and cellular -- then competing products such as Skype will be very viable solutions (at least for outbound calls) -- for $25/yr you get unlimited outgoing from any wifi access point -- and t-mo and the carriers want $20/mo?

3. Does RIM and/or any carrier really want to give you a free way to browse the Internet. I am guessing RIM doesn't want people buying Blackberries and not activating them on a data plan. Neither will the carriers.

Great concept. I'm just not sure how it will play out. I think the hype may be a year or two ahead of the reality.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
[IFC]Area51
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
They just released the 'new' 8800... :shrug:
I Might have to give the 83xx a whirl though when it's out, just to say I did...
And also to say that you've replaced your 8800 with it, hehe.
8100|8300|8310|8320|8900|9000|9700|9650
Old 05-08-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

T-Mobile + Wifi = 8820
Supposedly. Rumored. Purportedly.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
Nerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default How Wi-Fi Can Extend T-Mobile's Range

Service for Calls Over Web
Aims to Improve Reception, Savings

By AMOL SHARMA
May 3, 2007; Page B3

T-Mobile USA Inc., the fourth largest U.S. wireless operator, is planning a national launch this summer of cellphones that can roam on Wi-Fi hotspots in homes and coffee shops, carrying calls over the Web to improve indoor reception and help customers save on monthly cellular minutes.

The service, known as Hotspot at Home, has been in trial in Seattle for a few months and the carrier is ready to roll it out nationwide as early as mid-June, people familiar with the matter say. The phones that currently work with the service are models made by Nokia Corp. and Samsung Electronics Co.

Customers in the trials pay $20 on top of their monthly cellphone bill to use the service, with a $5 additional monthly fee to add another family member. The pricing may be tweaked for the national launch and the service will be available in T-Mobile stores and through some retail partners, the people said.

Thus far, consumers have used hotspots like the ones T-Mobile has in Starbucks shops, airports and elsewhere to access the Web with laptops. The new service lets people use those same networks with their cellphones. When a user comes in range of a hotspot, a call is supposed to be transferred onto the Wi-Fi network, with no noticeable change for the user.

T-Mobile has had some technological problems with the project, such as making a smooth handoff between the cellphone and Wi-Fi networks and maintaining battery life, people familiar with the trials say. Many of those issues have been ironed out in the latest versions of the Wi-Fi phones, those people say.

T-Mobile USA, a unit of Deutsche Telekom AG, declined to comment on its launch of the service.

Customers can use their existing wireless router with the new service, but T-Mobile offers its own special router for free, with a $50 mail-in rebate. The company said its router will enable better service, including longer battery life.

One feature that might be added later to the T-Mobile router but not in time for the national launch, people familiar with the matter say, is the ability to plug in ordinary landline phones, which would make T-Mobile a direct competitor to landline phone providers like Verizon Communications Inc. and AT&T Inc. That would be especially useful for families with multiple cellphone users. Instead of choosing one cellphone to work on the Wi-Fi connection at home, families could share a single landline.

T-Mobile isn't the only wireless operator trying to fuse its cellphone network with Wi-Fi-capable phones. AT&T's Cingular Wireless and Sprint Nextel Corp. have tested similar services. In Europe, British Telecom, Telecom Italia and Orange are also launching Wi-Fi phones.

Jeffrey Nelson, a spokesman for Verizon Wireless, a joint venture of Verizon Communications and Vodafone Group PLC, said the carrier isn't convinced that Wi-Fi technology, which operates on unlicensed frequencies -- a public park of radio spectrum -- is high-enough quality to carry the carrier's voice calls. "There is no way to put the controls around that service to give our customers a guaranteed great experience," Mr. Nelson said.

Frank Hanzlik, managing director of the Wi-Fi Alliance, a trade group that certifies that handsets comply with Wi-Fi standards, said the biggest opportunity might lie not with consumers, but businesses, since people spend so much time in their offices, where cellphone service can be weak. "I think that enterprises are going to drive this trend aggressively," Mr. Hanzlik said. "That's where the low hanging fruit is." Companies like Cisco Systems Inc. and SpectraLink Corp. have already been pushing sales of Wi-Fi handsets to businesses, though they don't double as cellphones.

T-Mobile's new service shows the company is intent on leveraging its network of over 8,000 hotspots in the U.S. even as it plans to upgrade its cellular-phone network to offer "3G" broadband services. Last year, T-Mobile acquired $4.2 billion of radio spectrum in a Federal Communications Commission auction to build such a network. T-Mobile's 3G strategy will center on social-networking applications and hyper-personalization, according to a person briefed on the company's plans.

T-Mobile, which has 25 million subscribers and is a key growth-driver for parent company Deutsche Telekom, hopes its new initiatives will attract new customers as it competes with larger carriers like Verizon and AT&T in a nearly saturated U.S. market. All the initiatives are part of a brand transformation T-Mobile initiated last fall, when it dropped longtime pitchwoman Catherine Zeta Jones and launched a new marketing campaign with the tagline "Stick Together." The company's new "My Faves" phones let people call any five numbers, wireless or landline, for free. T-Mobile says My Faves has been adopted more quickly by its customers than any other service the company has offered.

Write to Amol Sharma at [email address]1
Old 05-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
YMark

Model: 8900

I'm not sold on this, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "who cares". You can already use the BB as a modem. What big feature is this really bringing to the table? Plus, it is an extra $20. Not for me.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #10
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

I am totally not interested about paying $20 to call on TMO while I use the wifi feature.

However, I am very much interested to have a WIFI and GPS BB (well, hopefully with a phone cam too).

I just read some reviews on Nokia N95. I like the features but it is just too expensive.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #11
FLIPP_96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark View Post
I'm not sold on this, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "who cares". You can already use the BB as a modem. What big feature is this really bringing to the table? Plus, it is an extra $20. Not for me.
The service is meant for those who are in a area that has low signal strengh but has WiFi service (aka my house) Its also meant for people in that work in high rises that get poor service but might have an office WiFi signal. I'm looking forward to this service because of the cell service at my home. Before anyone tells me to switch to AT&Tingular, I can at least get a signal form TMO.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #12
wayneholbrook

Model: 9000
PIN: 20D214AB
Carrier: AT&T

Any word from the 2007 WES in Orlando?????
Old 05-09-2007, 02:09 AM   #13
tdawg00

PIN: 24aa7bfa
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas90guru View Post
There's any number of potential issues that may limit the widespread adoption of these cellular / wifi phones -- not the least of:

1. Support from the carrier will be a nightmare - can you just imagine what a pain it will be to support connections to different routers, etc?

2. If this doesn't prove to be a seamless transfer between wifi and cellular -- then competing products such as Skype will be very viable solutions (at least for outbound calls) -- for $25/yr you get unlimited outgoing from any wifi access point -- and t-mo and the carriers want $20/mo?

3. Does RIM and/or any carrier really want to give you a free way to browse the Internet. I am guessing RIM doesn't want people buying Blackberries and not activating them on a data plan. Neither will the carriers.

Great concept. I'm just not sure how it will play out. I think the hype may be a year or two ahead of the reality.
For #3 tmobile has or had 3 phones with wifi, which means you can have free internet... eg the dash, mda and sda......
Old 05-09-2007, 02:11 AM   #14
tdawg00

PIN: 24aa7bfa
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by plchan View Post
I am totally not interested about paying $20 to call on TMO while I use the wifi feature.

However, I am very much interested to have a WIFI and GPS BB (well, hopefully with a phone cam too).

I just read some reviews on Nokia N95. I like the features but it is just too expensive.

Yea its high but give it a year..... It will be the same price as bb 8800
Old 05-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #15
st8ofmi9d

Model: 7100T
Default $20 a month is too much

I’ve been waiting for T-mobile to roll out WiFi but this seems to fall short of my expectations. Since I get poor reception in my house, my hope was that the WiFi would finally allow me to replace my landline with my mobile. What’s up with the additional monthly cost? I can see them charging for use in their hotspots but why would they charge to use my personal Internet connection?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #16
MuellerAir

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by st8ofmi9d View Post
I can see them charging for use in their hotspots but why would they charge to use my personal Internet connection?
I will bet the wifi and hotspot will be the 20 dollar charge combined, just a thought.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #17
phrider

Model: 9812
PIN: 6.02214179E23
Carrier: TMO US

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuellerAir View Post
I will bet the wifi and hotspot will be the 20 dollar charge combined, just a thought.
I'd be pleased with that. I already pay $20 per month for the T-Mobile Hot Spot under the TMO cellular user discount. So it would be no increase in cost. This would be OK if I could have the UMA phone active via WiFi at the same time I'm logged onto a TMO Hot Spot using my PC.
Closed Thread