Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Exclamation

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBob
Hi Everyone,

I am starting to get a sick feeling that the BB 8300 is a figment of someone's overactive imagination.

As everyone knows, RIM has recently launched the BB 8800. And will probably be launching the BB 8820 and BB 8830 in Q-2.

Would someone please explain what, if anything, is going on with respect to the BB 8300!

CarBob
Still waiting to hear, if and when, the BB 8300 is going to be released.

A lot of buzz about the BB 8830e coming out in Q2 or Q3, (in Toronto), but nothing about the BB 8300!

Care to comment?

CarBob
Old 04-10-2007, 01:02 AM   #22
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

if is yes
when don"t know yet...
Old 04-10-2007, 05:37 AM   #23
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:

A lot of buzz about the BB 8830e coming out in Q2 or Q3, (in Toronto), but nothing about the BB 8300!

Care to comment?

CarBob
I heard that the 8300 will come out in May for T-mobile.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #24
nicomachan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmo
Default Weighing In

I just wanted to weigh in here on the 8300. I will preface my statements by saying the following is LOOSELY based in fact, but like the rest of us, the comments to follow are from the limited speculative knowledge of "leaks."

8300 release - it appears TMO will see the first of the 8300 wave, approximately on or around 07 May 2007

8800 vs 8300 - these releases are two completely different target demographics. Staying true to the core competencies of RIM the 8800 will be more business/corporate oriented. The 8300 will be more consumer oriented (inclusive of camera, media functionality ect). The 8300, much like the pearl, is more in line with TMO's consumer oriented subscriber base, its a younger demographic and a family mix.

Market Share - there were two competing devices mentioned in this thread. iPhone - while it appears the iPhone, like previously released Apple products, is targeting a younger more vibrant demographic, the impact on RIM core user base (again, business/corporate) will be deminimous. Keep in mind for the moment, AT&T has the "exclusive" on the iPhone and what that would take for users to acquire. You may see a surge of upgrades at AT&T, from previous smart phone users. However, it does not seem AT&T will see an influx or migration of "new" subscribers breaking contracts, at $200+ a clip, to come to AT&T. I think the industry already recognizes they are nearing market saturation. The trend now is usage. How much can they get the subscriber to use the carriers' services. You'll see this directive come June, TMO launching a couple of programs (Take Control Accounts and a WiFi service, free calls off of WiFi networks), Sprint is coming out with a hybrid pre-paid reoccurring billing plan for unlimited calling in restricted coverage areas. This is an industry initiative, to start chipping away at the market share of the land line industry. Like any newly anticipate device the buzz surrounding the iPhone has been enormous (Apple has always done a great job at creating buzz). But the restricted release will have marginal effect on the overall market (by definition). That being said as a consumer, this seems like a GREAT device. I have seen a couple of "release" versions for this device, a complete touch screen and one more like a slider with a keypad. Apple being true to form, the colours ar vibrant and is everything you'd expect coming from Apple. But this is a consumer driven product and will have little impact on AT&T's business/corporate clients.

The second device mentioned was the Sidekick. For TMO the Sidekick could be impacted with an 8300 release. However, the big comparison here for TMO is data service pricing. TMO and the Sidekick are the preferred carrier and device for the hearing impaired community. That's because the data only service charge for the Sidekick is only $29.99 per month (without phone). Danger, manufacturer of the Sidekick, is expected to release a Sidekick 4 in the near future. I can see the 8300 impacting this Sidekick sales by shear virtue of features, functionality, and versatility. The Sidekick has MANY restrictions/limitations that would cause BB users to look for a fast horse and a short noose if they had to use a Sidekick, the least of which being the Sidekick will ONLY operate domestically.

WOW ok nough said - my apologies for being so long winded and getting off topic. <making appointment with doctor now to obtain adderall prescription>

Last edited by nicomachan; 04-10-2007 at 08:29 AM..
Old 04-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #25
clyde_turkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800r
Carrier: Robbers Wireless

Quote:

Care to comment?

CarBob
As far as Rogers is concerned, the 8800 is the last BlackBerry to be released running EDGE. I have been told on several occasions from my Rogers reps(not the mall guys) that the 8800 would be the last BlackBerry device until Q3/Q4 this year when HSDPA models would be available. So unless the 8300 is an HSDPA device you will not see Rogers offering it.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #26
shona67
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Good Bye Sidekick, Hello Blackberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomachan
I just wanted to weigh in here on the 8300. I will preface my statements by saying the following is LOOSELY based in fact, but like the rest of us, the comments to follow are from the limited speculative knowledge of "leaks."

8300 release - it appears TMO will see the first of the 8300 wave, approximately on or around 07 May 2007

8800 vs 8300 - these releases are two completely different target demographics. Staying true to the core competencies of RIM the 8800 will be more business/corporate oriented. The 8300 will be more consumer oriented (inclusive of camera, media functionality ect). The 8300, much like the pearl, is more in line with TMO's consumer oriented subscriber base, its a younger demographic and a family mix.

Market Share - there were two competing devices mentioned in this thread. iPhone - while it appears the iPhone, like previously released Apple products, is targeting a younger more vibrant demographic, the impact on RIM core user base (again, business/corporate) will be deminimous. Keep in mind for the moment, AT&T has the "exclusive" on the iPhone and what that would take for users to acquire. You may see a surge of upgrades at AT&T, from previous smart phone users. However, it does not seem AT&T will see an influx or migration of "new" subscribers breaking contracts, at $200+ a clip, to come to AT&T. I think the industry already recognizes they are nearing market saturation. The trend now is usage. How much can they get the subscriber to use the carriers' services. You'll see this directive come June, TMO launching a couple of programs (Take Control Accounts and a WiFi service, free calls off of WiFi networks), Sprint is coming out with a hybrid pre-paid reoccurring billing plan for unlimited calling in restricted coverage areas. This is an industry initiative, to start chipping away at the market share of the land line industry. Like any newly anticipate device the buzz surrounding the iPhone has been enormous (Apple has always done a great job at creating buzz). But the restricted release will have marginal effect on the overall market (by definition). That being said as a consumer, this seems like a GREAT device. I have seen a couple of "release" versions for this device, a complete touch screen and one more like a slider with a keypad. Apple being true to form, the colours ar vibrant and is everything you'd expect coming from Apple. But this is a consumer driven product and will have little impact on AT&T's business/corporate clients.

The second device mentioned was the Sidekick. For TMO the Sidekick could be impacted with an 8300 release. However, the big comparison here for TMO is data service pricing. TMO and the Sidekick are the preferred carrier and device for the hearing impaired community. That's because the data only service charge for the Sidekick is only $29.99 per month (without phone). Danger, manufacturer of the Sidekick, is expected to release a Sidekick 4 in the near future. I can see the 8300 impacting this Sidekick sales by shear virtue of features, functionality, and versatility. The Sidekick has MANY restrictions/limitations that would cause BB users to look for a fast horse and a short noose if they had to use a Sidekick, the least of which being the Sidekick will ONLY operate domestically.

WOW ok nough said - my apologies for being so long winded and getting off topic. <making appointment with doctor now to obtain adderall prescription>
I have seen a large number of hearing impaired and deaf students at Rochester Institute of Technology give up their Sidekick and switch to BlackBerry device lately.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #27
Demon

Model: 9530
PIN: 304fcd63
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I have seen a large number of hearing impaired and deaf students at Rochester Institute of Technology give up their Sidekick and switch to BlackBerry device lately.
I have seen the same at Gallaudet University and Illinois School of the Deaf.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #28
jpar247

Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt

You are assuming that the 8830 is going to be in direct competition with the 8800. They both will sell. Do you not think that a company like RIM maybe knows something that you don't and that there is plenty of room for another phone out there? I trust that RIM knows what they are doing. Long ago I bought alot of RIM stock for $47 a share. Check out what it is selling for today. What they are doing has some sound thinking behind it. Not only will they bring out several versions of the 8800 and 8300 but I have sure they have more to come. Choices for Blacberry users have never been so good and they are attracting ALOT of new users to Blackberry.

I am sure the RIM knows all to well about the iPhone but it will not do much top hurt BB sales, SideKick sales maybe but no Blackberry. Apple has not even got the iPhone out yet, Blackberry has introduced the 8800 and has the 8300 on the way, not tot even count the different versions of each to follow.
everytime someone brings up the iphone u talk about how much u have made off rim stock...lol...i just think its stupid that blackberry cant put all these opitions that ppl want into a phone...what r they scared that they wont have anything else to work with after they release 3g, wifi, etc...i love blackberrys and wish i bought rim stocks back in the day, maybe then with the money i made off of the stocks i wouldnt complain so much about payin $60/month for crappy internet...
Old 04-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #29
BMWLotAttendant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Sounds like you are just getting upset because you can't get one! It is the 8300 and not the 2300. Just give it some time. These leaks about devices come months before it will be delivered. The same with the 8800, we heard and saw a few images just like the 8300 you see now but it took a few months later before it was delivered

You will have to wait like the rest of us unless you are given one for beta testing and no, I do not know how you could get on the list for beta testing!

Be calm and read and wait
Well Greg, I just want to be honest with you about my feelings about the 8300. I mean everybody seems to look to you for help and comfort, so I just wanted to let you know that I am getting upset (inside) because I can't have a 8300. I mean, I've been waiting, and waiting....I even did a T-Mobile survey that NOBODY else did or saw! Every time I look and use my cell phone it just makes it even more frustrating. I mean, last night I was on the phone with my gf and all of a sudden my phone wouldn't send or recieve ANY calls for 10 minutes. With the new 8300/8320 my phone calls would be crystal clear and no interuptions. I'm dissapointed that some people don't even think the 8300 exists. I believe in the 8300/8320 Greg, and you are right, I will soon have it as soon as it's released.

But Greg, I'll do as you say and continue to be patient, and I'll calm down, and continue reading and waiting.

Thanks Greg!
BMWLotAttendant
Old 04-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #30
nike30
Thumbs Must Hurt

With this new rumor concerning the 8300's release for CING next month, I am beginning to believe TM won't get this thing before Thanksgiving.
Desktop Manager 4.5
PIN 205CC25C
Old 04-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #31
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Meh. Buy and unlock. That's the beauty of GSM. It's the CDMA guys that should be upset as they're still waiting on the Pearl and can't do much about it...
Old 04-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #32
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Here's my predictions:
TMo gets the 8300 first (if it exists ;) ), followed in only 1 month by Cingular.
Cingular gets an updated version of the 8800.
CDMA users continue to play the waiting game.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #33
coldconfession13
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9550
PIN: 30fd8208

Ive seen it and its pretty nice in hand.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #34
Malkier

Model: 8310
Carrier: ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldconfession13
Ive seen it and its pretty nice in hand.
Ya, same here. After playing with the 8300 (yes it does exist) its going to be the one I'm holding out for, mind you, its going to be a long time before we see it in Australia....
Old 04-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #35
nike30
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
Meh. Buy and unlock. That's the beauty of GSM. It's the CDMA guys that should be upset as they're still waiting on the Pearl and can't do much about it...
Tak, I shall! As I did with the 87XX, I shall do with the next generation BB that isn't released on TMO (first!)
Desktop Manager 4.5
PIN 205CC25C
Old 04-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #36
CarBob
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLotAttendant View Post
Well Greg, I just want to be honest with you about my feelings about the 8300. I mean everybody seems to look to you for help and comfort, so I just wanted to let you know that I am getting upset (inside) because I can't have a 8300. I mean, I've been waiting, and waiting....I even did a T-Mobile survey that NOBODY else did or saw! Every time I look and use my cell phone it just makes it even more frustrating. I mean, last night I was on the phone with my gf and all of a sudden my phone wouldn't send or recieve ANY calls for 10 minutes. With the new 8300/8320 my phone calls would be crystal clear and no interuptions. I'm dissapointed that some people don't even think the 8300 exists. I believe in the 8300/8320 Greg, and you are right, I will soon have it as soon as it's released.

But Greg, I'll do as you say and continue to be patient, and I'll calm down, and continue reading and waiting.

Thanks Greg!
BMWLotAttendant
For the record, I thought it might be interesting to hear what people had to say about the BB 8300. That was the main reason I started this post.

It certainly generated alot of interesting, and sometimes sarcastic, replies. But that's what makes this forum a place where we can all express our comments; good, bad, or indifferent.

CarBob
Old 05-03-2007, 01:47 AM   #37
CarBob
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thumbs up BB 8300/Curve

Lets hear it for RIM and the BB 8300/Curve!!

It exists, it really exists.

CarBob
Old 05-03-2007, 02:38 AM   #38
The Grinch

Model: 8800r
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBob View Post
Lets hear it for RIM and the BB 8300/Curve!!

It exists, it really exists.

CarBob
Correct.

By the time the iPhone is released, it will be outdated, just look at the LG Prada, Nokia N91 with 4GB storage, and Sony Ericsson's W950i with 4GB storage.

As for BlackBerry users switching to the iPhone, i highly doubt it, because no mobile phone can compete with the BlackBerry, in regards in the business World.

A lot of people said the BlackBerry Curve 8300 would have Wi-Fi, and these people were wrong, so apologies would be appreciated for misinforming members.

I know 200 associates with BlackBerrys that will not switch to the iPhone.

As for 12-18 year olds purchasing the iPhone, not sure what you were thinking when you said this, but you are wrong...very.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #39
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I'm a little disappointed. No built-in GPS. If they have it on the 8800, why delete it from a more recent model? It's a great feature that's missing. I was also hoping for WiFi, but it's less of a loss than the GPS. Would have been nice, but I can live without it. If and when BB's support full html email it might be more significant, but for now it's no biggie to me. Another thing that disappoints me is the camera. Kudos for a full 2 MP cam, but no video capabilities kinda stinks. Color me unimpressed. I'm waiting to see what future revisions bring to the table.
Closed Thread