Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
grwalker

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Etisalat
Default Google Sync, Google Calandar, the BB and recurring appointments

Please Login to Remove!

My work BB (9700) sync's OTA with my work email (exchange) account. I have added Google Sync to my BB so that the BB calandar/contacts synch with my gmail account so i can then synch my Google info with my WM6.1 device OTA, and then sync outlook at home with Google. (Why? I'm just an info freak plus i wanted to see if it could be done. Seems to work fine with a few glitches, one of them is below.)

Anyway to the point. I create recurring all day events (birthdays, etc) on the BB (or exchange) and they end up in my google calandar across two days, the first day of the event being the real date. Eg a bithday on 3 September shows up as a 24 hour event on 3 and 4 September. The event always starts at 4am.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Old 01-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Carrier: Telus
Default Re: Google Sync, Google Calandar, the BB and recurring appointments

And that's why there are many paid offerings out there which work...and when they don't, a human being is there to help...

How many calendar items are you trying to sync? In general, syncing an Exchange account calendar with personal calendars at home is prone to errors. Even though the calendar on Exchange looks the same, the back end data is vastly different. 9/10 it works, but 1/10 it's a straight out no-no, but without looking at the logs, there's no way to help unfortunately.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
grwalker

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Etisalat

The problem occurs when i sync the BB/Exchange with Google Calandar using with Google Sync. I have tested the sync by creating single recurring event (5 instances) on the BB and the problem as described occurs. BTW, the synch from Google Calandar to outlook at home works fine.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
SumTingWong
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Hi grwalker. I've experienced the same shifted recurring events on my BB also. This is what I found out.
  • For any recurring event, there is a start date.
  • For a recurring birth day event, the start date is usually the individual's birth date.
  • If a person was born before 1970 (for example, birth date/start date=Mar.1.1969), that person's recurring birth day event will have a start date before the year of 1970.
  • For a recurring event with a start date before the year of 1970, when synced from Google Calendar to the BB Calendar, its date will be shifted (probably according to some formulas)
  • You can prevent the shifting by altering the start date of the recurring birth day event so that the start date is on or after the year 1970 (for example, birth date/start date=Mar.1.1969 should be changed to Mar.1.1970)
  • It's a clumsy fix but it WILL fix the shifting problem.

Google wireless sync of calendar and contact via BIS is a mess. Don't get me started with the contact wireless syncing problem. Address fields got lumped together. First name and Last name fields are NOT mapped correctly, etc...
Closed Thread