BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
crystalx04

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default A Few Issues with My Curve.....

Please Login to Remove!

I just got my Curve last night and am generally really happy with it. However, in the midst of exploring its capabilities, I noticed a few things:

1. EVERYTHING lags - when I click on an icon, it takes several seconds for it to register and open up the application; the trackball movement sometimes doesn't register at all (not nearly as responsive as my clickwheel); when on a website, it won't scroll down as I move the trackball and then suddenly I am all the way at the bottom of the page.

2. Website Errors - I can't view websites the same way I did on my 8700c: Text runs all around the outside of the pictures and in certain cases, I can't see or even open websites.

My question is: Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me? How can I fix this? I'm just trying to determine if I should go back to AT&T to exchange my phone.....

TIA!
Old 06-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
futballer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t

Hopefully these aren't problems with every Curve. Although its nice to see some posts raising some issues about this device. Almost everyone has said its near perfect.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
bjablonka

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

Well, I picked my 8300 up last night from the local ATT store and returned it 2 hours ago. I like the form factor and keys but I must have had a bad apple. The trackball gave up working vertically, the same applications asked for 3-5 time to be downloaded and installed, keys such as the # key did not work, streaming Xm music was the opposite of streaming and sound quality in voice mail was terrible. In addition, the attitude of Cingular customer service (when I tried to set up international email) was a joke - very arrogant! So, I am back at T-mobile with my old Pearl and waiting for something new on the BB side.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

here are my gripes as well....

1. Sluggish - the trackball is NOT as responsive as the Pearl's - need to press harder.
2. Earpiece volume is NOT as loud as Pearl's - I compared side by side and I heard the person much better on the Pearl
3. Web browsing is slow
4. Memory is low - even without apps installed, I have 15mbs available
5. Screen brightness to me doesn't seem as good as Pearl's - colors seem deeper on the Pearl
6. Today Plus theme doesn't work :(

I hope Cingular didn't rush this unit and I hope I just got a bum one
Old 06-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: "The New" AT&T\Old Cingular (previously had T-Mobile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalx04 View Post
I just got my Curve last night and am generally really happy with it. However, in the midst of exploring its capabilities, I noticed a few things:

1. EVERYTHING lags - when I click on an icon, it takes several seconds for it to register and open up the application; the trackball movement sometimes doesn't register at all (not nearly as responsive as my clickwheel); when on a website, it won't scroll down as I move the trackball and then suddenly I am all the way at the bottom of the page.

2. Website Errors - I can't view websites the same way I did on my 8700c: Text runs all around the outside of the pictures and in certain cases, I can't see or even open websites.

My question is: Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me? How can I fix this? I'm just trying to determine if I should go back to AT&T to exchange my phone.....

TIA!
1) Lag - This is a common issue with all blackberries when you first set them up... think of how when you first run windows your computer is sooooo slow until all of the applications perform their startup junk... I was concerned but once all the BES sync'd and the apps each ran things sped up. It's funny how everyone complains about the same thing every time...

2) Web Page errors - sounds like a provisioning issue... try having it reprovisioned... try changing the browser type (ie. IE Emulator, etc)...
Old 06-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: "The New" AT&T\Old Cingular (previously had T-Mobile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
here are my gripes as well....

1. Sluggish - the trackball is NOT as responsive as the Pearl's - need to press harder.
2. Earpiece volume is NOT as loud as Pearl's - I compared side by side and I heard the person much better on the Pearl
3. Web browsing is slow
4. Memory is low - even without apps installed, I have 15mbs available
5. Screen brightness to me doesn't seem as good as Pearl's - colors seem deeper on the Pearl
6. Today Plus theme doesn't work :(

I hope Cingular didn't rush this unit and I hope I just got a bum one
The unit performs EXACTLY like the Pearl does. Why do people complain about the same thing every time. Get a pocket PC then... but you won't be happy.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

I have no lag. The ball is harder to push but the keyboard is just what I wanted. The camera takes good images, surprised how good. Call volume and speaker phone work great.

I love the ability to set up a folder to put all the "shop" crap in. I even named it shop!
Old 06-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Default I always call mine shi*

I always call mine shi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
I have no lag. The ball is harder to push but the keyboard is just what I wanted. The camera takes good images, surprised how good. Call volume and speaker phone work great.

I love the ability to set up a folder to put all the "shop" crap in. I even named it shop!
Old 06-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I always call mine shi*
Consider it renamed! Thanks! <vbg>
Old 06-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #10
bmw1986
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Does anyone have the curve and personally had the 8800? What are the differences? What is worse and what is better about the curve?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:48 PM   #11
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold

I have the 8800 too. The curve is a little smaller, lighter, and more ergonomic. It has a standard headphone jack which I have been waiting years for. 2mp cam is nice if you are in the sunny outdoors. Only thing it looses is the GPS which I liked to play with but never realy use. It still supports an external GPS puck if needed.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
SUFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

I have a Pearl, the 8800, and the Curve. The Curve form factor blows the 8800 away. I also thought the 8800 had the worst keyboard ever. The Curve is a great in between device of the Pearl and the 8800. The build quality is great but its compact and light. I do miss the GPS on the 8800 however.

I don't want to be quick to judge but the form factor alone with full keyboard is what I like. It just feels so much better than the 8800. I always did like the Pearl but now have a full keyboard with the 8300.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #13
RydeWitM3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

I had the pearl then the 8800 and now the 8300, so far the best is the 8300, it has no lag, and works great, i just have had one problem, in the middle of a phone call today it restarted itself (its two days old). The 8300 has a great form factor, and I have adjusted to keyboard. Its incredibly light too.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #14
lskolnik

Curve may be the greatest blackberry ever! This keyboard rules. I'm not getting any lag and the trackball works well. form factor is excellent. What a great job!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #15
brmcguire
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I had mine for a few hours and returned it for a new one. I was having trackball issues. The trackball felt very sluggish. The replacement is a lot better. I must of gotten a lemon. I also notice the sluggish performance as well. I am very happy with my replacement. I love the form factor.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #16
ehadden

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I did some comparison shopping to with the curve. I went to my local Verizon store which is who I have service with. They have a version of the 8830, it is the 8800 but in silver. No camera, really did not like the feel of the thing, was not impressed. Then I went down to the Cingular store. They had the curve in stock and I checked it out. I did like the feel of it, the keys are a bit small, but I did not like the build of it. I have a 8700 series and I am going to stay with old faithful untile the 9xxx series. I think RIM really pushed this device out way to soon to compete with the iphone. I know all you crackberry users out their as myself woulf jump to a rock if it had a keybord and was a new product from Blackberry, but I am gonna wait. The ultimate would be a 4.2 OS for CDMA which Verizon is lagging on bigtime!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #17
BB4Life
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

everyone has their gripes and complaints of any new blackberry...i respect that, but overall i think this is a great device and a job well done by RIM..people have to understand that RIM will be releasing 10x more than their competitors on different carriers, so there will be many BlackBerry devices coming out...Carriers often set a deadline for cellular companies, and they'll often take what the newest and recent available device is to meet their deadline...I still have my pearl so i'll be going back and forth...but for now, I'm going to convert myself back to QWERTY again
Old 06-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #18
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

So here we all are with our new Curves! Some happy, some not, here's my take! Great build quality, Great Form Factor, Great call quality
(It is a phone afterall) Great keyboard, Just an overall sexy device! Ok , here's my only two downsides, the phone does have some Lag, especially on the web, and when switching applications. My other is that the screen is a little duller then my 8800, colors just seen a little bit more crisp on the 8800. I won't get into the camera because it's not really labeled as a camera device and I most likely won't use it that often. Plus I have a Nokia N95 (nuff said). Otherwise cool so far, we'll see how the weekend goes.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #19
ARHYTHMATIK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: T-Mobile

Yep-- I got the lagging between switching apps, and the web browsing is unbelievably slow. I mean like 20 minutes just to load eBay.com.

Also-- there is no option to switch between brower emulator modes! Only mode available is Blackberry! Is anyone else getting this?

Yeah- I LOVE the keyboard and form factor, but this device seems to be functioning worse than my 8800. I might try and return it and switch to another one and see if that makes a difference.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #20
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

In reference to the lag while on the web! I just took my battery out for the first time and restarted it, and it seems to be working much better as far as speed goes.
Closed Thread