Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #204
Flo_ACC
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 4990
PIN: N/A
Carrier: F SFR

HI all,

i have a question regarding licenses ...... we actually have a BES 4.1.X and we installed a BES 5.0 + BBR 5.0 (DMZ), actually all our users are in the BES 4.1.X and we installed an evaluation version of the BES 5.0 to do our upgrade.

my question is this one: actually my BES5.0 evaluation version have a 20 licenses, i would like to know if i can add CAL on it to have more users in order to start my test phase with users and after 5 days use my migration kit to change the Evaluation BES 5.0 server license with the final one and to my migration.

regards,
FLo
Old 03-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #205
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

IIRC the eval only works with 20 CALs.

With migration kit you can add your CALs and your old SRP will be inactive after 90 days.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #206
Flo_ACC

Model: 4990
Carrier: F SFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
IIRC the eval only works with 20 CALs.

With migration kit you can add your CALs and your old SRP will be inactive after 90 days.

Thanks for the answer ....
Old 11-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #207
BesJr

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I'm real new here and to the admin end of this too, I read above on how to clear/remove CAL's from the 4.x.xx BES, but after removed how do you add to 5.0.xx BES talking about 1900 +, and what does SRP have to do or how do assure it's done right?

Last edited by BesJr; 11-06-2010 at 11:18 AM..
Old 11-20-2010, 02:06 AM   #208
DataPeople

Model: no
Carrier: n/a
Default Re: BES Licensing Thread

BES means for BlackBerry Enterprise Server. It provides someones BlackBerry access to a commercial intranet.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #209
bbrobman99

Model: 8920
Carrier: att

what does a 20 user cal cost? i have seen a wide range online of prices for 10pak - is it better to add 2 x 10's or 1 x 20?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #210
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

cheaper for 1 - 20 pack.
It doesn't even matter

Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 AM   #211
stellas

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

I have two Blackberry servers. One is BPS 4.1.4 with 20 CALs. One is BES 5.0.2 (full version, not express) with 75 CALs.

If I retire the BPS server, can I reuse the CALs on my BES 5.0.2 server? They're listed as "Small Business Edition". Just not sure if that's legal/possible.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #212
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellas View Post
I have two Blackberry servers. One is BPS 4.1.4 with 20 CALs. One is BES 5.0.2 (full version, not express) with 75 CALs.

If I retire the BPS server, can I reuse the CALs on my BES 5.0.2 server? They're listed as "Small Business Edition". Just not sure if that's legal/possible.
If they were free CALs, there will be issues since you are only allowed one.

SBE CALs might require a call to support as you are supposed to inplace upgrade your BPS to full BES 4.x and then upgrade to BES 5.

Try them first and see which fails, then make a call to support if needed.
It doesn't even matter

Old 05-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #213
stellas

Thanks knotty - there are a few (actually a ten, two fives and a single license) so I'll give each of them a try and see which ones work and which ones don't! Am I OK to run them in parallel for a couple of days until I can move the users over, do you think?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #214
stellas

Well, no error messages when I tried them. Woo-hoo.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #215
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

The CALs are on the honor system, that could change someday.
It doesn't even matter

Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #216
smoothadmin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BesJr View Post
I'm real new here and to the admin end of this too, I read above on how to clear/remove CAL's from the 4.x.xx BES, but after removed how do you add to 5.0.xx BES talking about 1900 +, and what does SRP have to do or how do assure it's done right?
Depends on what version of BES your using, there is BES Express 5.0.x and BES 5.0.x, you have to pay for licensing when you use BES 5.0.x were as with BES Express its pretty much unlimited; 75 users if installed on Exchange and 2000 if you install it on its own box. BES Express can't do everything that BES can, so Express doesn't support clustering.

The sticky message to this thread needs to be updated.

A.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #217
ja9sexc

Model: 8520
Carrier: vodacom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin View Post
There does seem to be the odd bit of confusion now and again to do with how BES licensing is designed, so I have created this thread to clarify how it works - which hopefully should help out with some peoples questions. Please post if you believe I have missed something off that should be covered and I'll add it to the first post. If this thread proves useful I may stickie it.

BES license components

Your BES server will contain three separate 'keys' at point of installation:
  • SRP
  • SRP Authentication Key
  • CAL (Client Access License)
These will always remain unchanged, although you may add additional CAL's as you require additional users on the BES server.

BES Versions

There are five separate versions of BES:

Enterprise Edition

The Enterprise Edition of BES ships with a 20 user CAL and has no legal license limit. You will find there are guidelines as to the best practices on having high levels of users and of course you will be limited by the hardware specifications of your BES server computer.

SBE (Small Business Edition)

The SBE version ships with a 5 user CAL and can be expanded up to a maximum of 15 users through the addition of extra CAL's.

Express Edition

The Express Edition of BES is a free download from the BlackBerry website. This versions ships with a 1 user CAL. BES Express is basically identical to the SBE Edition as it can only be expanded to a maximum 15 user threshold.

BlackBerry Professional Software

BPS is intended to be the replacement platform for Express Edition. It is (currently) a free download from the BlackBerry website and you get a copy of the software, a licence and a one user CAL all free. BPS is graphically slightly different in terms of the UI from the other versions of BES. Most tasks are wizard based, making it simple for admins who are not familiar with the BlackBerry server platform. One of the key advantages of BPS is that it's the first version of BES which offers full RIM support when installed on the same server as Exchange or Lotus Domino (there is currently no version for GroupWise mail environments). This is a big cost saving in hardware and Windows licencing. The downsides with this are that some companies will have strict guidelines on running several mission critical applications on the same server, and secondly, BPS does not have a full BES feature set. To elaborate on this final point - users have full email and PIM reconciliation as you would get with a normal BES, but there is no MDS (Studio, not Service) which means it's not possible to build custom applications, but existing java apps can be pushed through the BPS software.

BPS can take a maximum user threshold of 30 users, and Small Business CAL's are the ones you should purchase if you need additional users.

BlackBerry Enterprise Server for MDS Applications

The MDS Applications version of BES is a version of the server which has no wireless email facility. While this may sound odd, it is designed for organisations who do not require wireless email but do require the ability to access applications remotely from a low cost handheld device.

Note: There is no difference in the feature set, functionality or GUI of the BES editions with the exception of 'BlackBerry Enterprise Server for MDS Applications' as this has no wireless email features

BES Update Key

BES Update Keys were designed for companies who purchased SBE Edition BlackBerry servers. One of the problems with BlackBerry adoption is that some companies believe they will only have a small device fleet (usually high level management) and it's not until after implementation that they realise they need to expand beyond the user base they predicted during their planning. Originally to overcome the 15 user hurdle companies would have to re-invest in the solution from scratch, casting aside any additional CAL's and purcasing a new Enterprise Edition BES which of course proved costly.

With this in mind RIM introduced the BES Update Key. This is effectively just a 5 user CAL, but when entered in to your BES License Manager it alters your BES version from SBE to Enterprise. Therefore, if you have a 15 user BES which is at its license threshold and you add a BES Update Key, you will now have a 20 user Enterprise Edition BES.

The update key is not a cheap option and will cost significantly more than a standard 5 user CAL, but it is still a cheaper option than discarding any SBE Edition BES you may already have in place and purchasing a new Enterprise Edition.

Purchasing CAL's

Purchasing the right type of CAL's can be confusing as they are not all the same and come in a variety of denominations. CAL's can be purchased in the following numbers, but availbility depends on your supplier:
  • 5 user
  • 10 user
  • 50 user
  • 100 user
  • 500 user
  • 1000 user
You must also purchase the correct type of CAL. If you have an SBE or Express Edition BES you will need SBE CAL's, and if you have an Enterprise Edtion BES you will of course need Enterprise CAL's - there should be a minimal difference in the cost of a (for example) 5 user SBE CAL and a 5 user Enterprise CAL (if at all).

Remember, if you had an SBE BES and have installed an Update Key you will now need to purchase Enterprise Edition CAL's.

Managing CAL's

If you have multiple BES servers in place and want to move licenses around for any reason this is possible. How you remove a license depends on your BES server version number, but in versions 4.0 and above you can simpley right-click the license in the License Manager and 'remove' or 'clear'. You can then add that license to another BES server. The key message to take from this is that a CAL, once entered, is not tied to your SRP in any way and can be moved in the futue if required.

I hope this helps!

BBAdmin
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #218
jonathanmarquez

Model: 9810
Carrier: Movistar

Friends

I have BES licensed for 20 users.

I would add more users, I have the serial but do not add as much license where I could help?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #219
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

if you have access to the database you can export them.

Click on BlackBerry Domain on the left pane.
Then in the right pane, select the 'Global' tab, expand 'Account', and choose 'License Management'.
You should see:
License Total:
Used:
Free:

or

From command-line, you can do the following:

bcp "select LicenseKey from BESMgmt.dbo.LicenseKeys where type = 0" queryout c:\licensekeys.txt -c -T -R -E -Sdbservername

That will export all installed license keys to the text file specified in the command. Just be sure to change dbservername to your SQL/MSDE server. This needs to be run from a server/machine that has bcp.exe installed, though (installed by default with SQL and MSDE installations).
It doesn't even matter

Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #220
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

BlackBerry Enterprise Server License Trade Up

RIM will be offering customers who purchase BlackBerry 10 smartphones the ability to trade up their existing BlackBerry Enterprise Server licenses on a one for one basis for free, until December 31, 2013.

more info here

BlackBerry Enterprise Server License Trade Up - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
It doesn't even matter