Old 08-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Droid
Default Bes 5.0 - user stats/reporting?

Please Login to Remove!

Where are the user stats that used to be in the columns on BES 4.0?

I need to run a report of how many emails each handheld has sent out, last check in time, etc for all my users.

I looked at http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/...nge-5.0-US.pdf

and did not find it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

This functionality doesn't really exist in BAS.
You'd probably need to do some custom SQL reporting or look into using the BRK for BES 5.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Oh, man. That's a bummer. I'll talk to my SQL DBA then about custom reporting. What is BRK?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

BRK = BlackBerry Resource Kit
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support...esourcekit.jsp
Old 08-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
DavidAdams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: NotYe
Carrier: O2

I know i am on BES 4.1 and so things may be different but I have an Excel spreadsheet querying the SQL to extract the details i need for this sort of thing.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
MarshBklyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: crApT&T

have you tried the reporting from the monitoring service?
should be something like: https://YOURBESSERVER:8443/webconsole/app
Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshBklyn View Post
have you tried the reporting from the monitoring service?
should be something like: https://YOURBESSERVER:8443/webconsole/app
That's how i get into the BAS now but it doesn't have the quick view of all the users that I can sort a column by.

I need to do MR1 for 5.0 before the software from the 2nd reply will install. going to try and do it at noon.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
MarshBklyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

[QUOTE=usererror;1454292]That's how i get into the BAS now but it doesn't have the quick view of all the users that I can sort a column by.

no no. I guess that's a easy mistake. The BAS and Monitoring service are two different addresses. note the :8443 after YOURSERVERNAME.
This is assuming you installed the Monitoring service on the same server (or at all)
In the Monitoring service there is a reporting section which is pretty decent for just stanard reports. you can export to csv files as well.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
no no. I guess that's a easy mistake. The BAS and Monitoring service are two different addresses. note the :8443 after YOURSERVERNAME.
This is assuming you installed the Monitoring service on the same server (or at all)
In the Monitoring service there is a reporting section which is pretty decent for just stanard reports. you can export to csv files as well.
Whoa. My mistake. Apparently that 'feature' is not installed. I can't change the BES install options via add/remove programs either, only remove shows up. Looking for how to install that service. that looks like what I need. Was it an option during the BES install that I missed or over looked?

The BRK absolutely sucks, IMO. its all command line based.

EDIT: I've installed SNMP, but all BES docs i can find assume you've already got this darn monitoring service installed. I am waiting to hear back about why my RIM support was cancelled this year. I tried calling them only to find out the bad news. they cant talk to me until I renew.

Last edited by usererror; 08-19-2009 at 01:26 PM..
Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
MarshBklyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

You have to launch the installation (setup.exe) of BES5.0 and select the Monitoring service under additional components. You will want to make sure SNMP service is installed and setup to receive traps too.
I'm pretty sure Monitoring service can also be setup on a remote server with SNMP service already configured as well but have only done it on local BES myself.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Marsh,

That's what I was afraid of. I started the setup.exe but it started asking all the questions as if I was starting from ground zero. I better wait until after business hours, to try to get to that screen, and take a snapshot of the VM first.

I did install SNMP service on my BES server. I only plan on having the monitoring service run on the primary BES. I've only got the one server.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

I re-ran the bes 5.0 setup, chose the option for blackberry monitoring service. it indeed was not checked. Of course after that I had to re-run the two maintenance updates. I now have the page to create reports, I'll mess around with that tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
MarshBklyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

awesome. glad to help. hope after all this you can actually get a useful report out of it.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #14
ZeroKool

Model: 8330
PIN: nope
Carrier: verizon

haha...this was a good read... perfect username
Old 08-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
awesome. glad to help. hope after all this you can actually get a useful report out of it.
Me too. So I've finally sat down and tried setting this up. I am having difficulty getting SNMP to work correctly.

I've installed the service. I created a community name, and set the Trap Destination to be my BES Server's IP address.

My BES and BMS are both on the same server. The SNMP Service is started, but when I try to start the monitor via the BMS admin URL, it gives an error back stating: "The SNMP agent is not responding. Please make sure that it is started and that the host computer is alive."

I have zero experience with SNMP. This is such a royal PITA. I never thought a boss's request for "how many emails has this person sent out on their BB" (which is what we're really after first and foremost) would result in so much friggen work. I guess I could try just looking at the SQL DB, too...but maybe that would be too easy.

Last edited by usererror; 08-26-2009 at 03:32 PM..
Old 08-27-2009, 02:23 AM   #16
DavidAdams

Querying the SQL direct is very simple to do, as i said above I have an Excel spread sheet querying it which gives me a nice summary of tthe bits i need to report back.

The other option is to use QueryExpress to query the SQL. I went for Excel as it's a one way process, no danger of a wrong SQL statement breaking anything.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #17
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAdams View Post
Querying the SQL direct is very simple to do, as i said above I have an Excel spread sheet querying it which gives me a nice summary of tthe bits i need to report back.

The other option is to use QueryExpress to query the SQL. I went for Excel as it's a one way process, no danger of a wrong SQL statement breaking anything.
I haven't a clue how to write SQL queries, it's not my specialty. What tables would we need to read from, is there a doc somewhere that explains the table structure and what is what?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #18
MarshBklyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

you should still be able to run simple reports from the reporting in monitoring service without snmp service being available. If you create them as csv, then you can open them up in excel and do whatever you like with the data.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:32 AM   #19
DavidAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by usererror View Post
I haven't a clue how to write SQL queries, it's not my specialty. What tables would we need to read from, is there a doc somewhere that explains the table structure and what is what?
It's not mine either.

This assumes you have access to the SQL server remotely.

Setup an Excel spread sheet so that it queries your BES SQL, i look in vUserConfigStats.

In Excel go to Import Data and create a new SQL query connection, connect to your BES SQL, select the BESMgmt database and then the relevant table/view. This will pull all the columns into the spread sheet. All i did then was reorder them and hide those i don't want to see.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #20
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAdams View Post
It's not mine either.

This assumes you have access to the SQL server remotely.

Setup an Excel spread sheet so that it queries your BES SQL, i look in vUserConfigStats.

In Excel go to Import Data and create a new SQL query connection, connect to your BES SQL, select the BESMgmt database and then the relevant table/view. This will pull all the columns into the spread sheet. All i did then was reorder them and hide those i don't want to see.
THANKS! I'll show this to by SQL DBA tomorrow.

In other news on this topic, our RIM support contract is renewed (YEAH!) I called them today and got the low down on the BB Resource Tool Kit. In a nutshell, I find it lame.

We installed the necessary tools on my local PC. Then you copy the log files OFF of the BES server and someone on your local PC then run the command...

for example:

Quote:
MessageFlow.exe -p e -u [email address] -l c:\beslogs
Where "-p e" means I use exchange, vs domino, etc.
"-u xxxxx" is the person's email address who's states you want to get
"-l c:\beslogs" is the folder i copied the log file that this particular tool needs to read.

Do not rename the log files when you copy them, and each resource kit tool command line needs a seperate log file. by default it then creates a .csv in the folder the command line app runs from.

And RIM said there is no util that gives you just the "total # of sent emails" since activation like the web gui does for each user. i feel i should have stayed with 4.1

*sigh.
Closed Thread