BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #21
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Please Login to Remove!

One great feature I think many people overlook is that you can go to your viigo account online from a pc and add any web feed you want. You aren't restricted to the feeds listed on your bb app. Most if not all of my feeds are not from the viigo list in the app itself. I've removed all services on the bb except news& rss, weather, feedback and options. Now all my feeds are in one service.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #22
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

same here. I deleted all thge stuff I never use
Old 04-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #23
flashthunder
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Is there any idea of when the audio and podcast channel will be available?

Also, in regards to my main point regarding the football (soccer) channel updating..........yesterday during the Man City v Fulham match I checked on Viigo at after about 35 minutes of the game to see if the score was correct and it just stated the kick off time.

Perhaps reviewing the sources the scores come through from because they certainly aren't being updated or indeed 'Live' here in England.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #24
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

i tried it out on my phone too, just to see why it was rated so highly.

it's nothing special and i didn't like it much either. some features did not seem to work, like the flight status option, nothing appears in that channel and i can't do anything with it.

i also noticed that it's limited to the displayed content, for example, i put a bbf rrs on viigo, then i see the listing of recent posts, however clicking on one of them brings up only the first post. trying to get it to display more than that resulted in waiting around an age or so, yet nothing comes up.

it's not a bad app, but it's not very refined either. for me, the software i already have on the phone gives me access to everything i need....and when im not in a hurry, i use the browser
Old 04-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #25
DacyJ

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Just wish the podcast option would work so I could see what that is all about. Other then that I also use it about every hour to check weather, news, and other BB related articles.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #26
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

strange. i haven't had any problems with viigo. maybe a couple of times due to server upgrades the feeds haven't updated.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:37 AM   #27
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr View Post
Correct. I've had the same article come up 4 or 5 times. Some of them never show up again once I delete them, and some of them just will... not... die...

For example, one of my feeds is a blog in the Wall Street Journal. Yesterday, when I refreshed, I got every blog entry that I hadn't yet deleted from the last 2 weeks. So say there were 14 articles, and I kept 4... it pulled the other 10 that I had already deleted down again.

Also, in one of my tech feeds, there's an article about the new version of MS Office that was posted weeks ago that keeps showing up every time I refresh. Only that specific article. NO clue why, unless MS is paying them to refresh it. Bad idea if so b/c all it's doing is making me sick of it before I even get to use it.
I have seen it pull the same articles repeatedly also. I think that happens when there are no new articles on the feed and Viigo pulls down the 14 (or whatever number depending on your settings) most recent posts on the rss feed.

Try and notice if that is the case or not. I have some feeds on mine that aren't updated very often and those are the ones I get repeats on.

I like Viigo, but I honestly don't use it that much. I have some of my favorite news sites and blogs bookmarked in my BB browser and it's faster just to use those bookmarks. I use the keyboard shortcut for the browser, have the browser set to open to the bookmarks page, then I click the desired link. Two key presses and I have the content, no waiting for Viigo to refresh.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:51 AM   #28
kjjb0204

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I have seen it pull the same articles repeatedly also. I think that happens when there are no new articles on the feed and Viigo pulls down the 14 (or whatever number depending on your settings) most recent posts on the rss feed.

Try and notice if that is the case or not. I have some feeds on mine that aren't updated very often and those are the ones I get repeats on.

I like Viigo, but I honestly don't use it that much. I have some of my favorite news sites and blogs bookmarked in my BB browser and it's faster just to use those bookmarks. I use the keyboard shortcut for the browser, have the browser set to open to the bookmarks page, then I click the desired link. Two key presses and I have the content, no waiting for Viigo to refresh.
In many cases, the same headlined article will appear multiple times if it's an ongoing news story that the website updates. As an example, on my NY times RSS page feed, there are two listings with the same headline. If I click on each of them, the short summaries are different. That means that the NY times changed the summary on their RSS feed, so the feed reader saw it as a different article and pulled it again. If you look at the story on the website, it actually says at the top (updated 1:07am), so they added something to the article, causing RSS readers to think it's new.

This can happen with many RSS feeds, especially news feeds that cover ongoing stories, breaking news, etc. Often times, a news site will update a story instead of creating a new article, and that triggers a new RSS feed.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:53 AM   #29
kjjb0204

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
i also noticed that it's limited to the displayed content, for example, i put a bbf rrs on viigo, then i see the listing of recent posts, however clicking on one of them brings up only the first post. trying to get it to display more than that resulted in waiting around an age or so, yet nothing comes up.
It's not limited to displayed content. You can manage your feeds on myviigo.com and add or remove any RSS feed that's available online. The ones you see in each pre-set Viigo channel/service are just recommended favorites, not the full list of available feeds. I'm a huge fan of Viigo, can you tell?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #30
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

overall, i saw it bogging down my phone OS...when it updates it brings the OS down to snail's pace. i think this app is better suited to Bold users because the hardware is faster.

don't get me wrong, i'm not condemning it, i just found it a little limited for my uses and i feel that if i have software already on the phone that gives me things like flight status & weather, then adding more software that gives the same features isn't my thing. for whatever else it does that i don't have software for, i can use the browser.

just my take, that's all....

also, i use my storm unlocked and on tmob's network, so i'm limited to 2G speeds....
Old 04-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #31
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

I intensely dislike it too. Its so bloated. Takes up almost a gig on install and that cache. And how they have added those futuristic --> slide effects to navigate between things.

The google account inclusion is nice, but the memory it takes while running has caused me to uninstall it numerous times. I uninstall all the services except the rss. Reminds me of World Travel Mate and the like. It seems to me these apps try to be a all-in-1 solution rather than a 1 problem -> 1 solution. Maybe I'm fickle I prefer light way apps that solve a need. Like bb weather or berry411 rather than something that integrates weather new, sports, stock exchange etc. As in reality I use very few of those bonus and mainly use for singular purposes.

Still looking for a decent rss readers.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #32
strike2tamu

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Its def. my most used app, no problems here.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #33
DacyJ

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Wirelessly posted (Hey I'm cool…)

Still love the term "bloody rubbish"
Old 04-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #34
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DacyJ View Post
Wirelessly posted (Hey I'm cool…)

Still love the term "bloody rubbish"
Think about the mental image haha!

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #35
rjw3000

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

Used to be my favorite app by far and has now been removed from the BB for a couple months. The recent "feature" of retrieving already read articles over and over like a few people mentioned above was the last annoyance for me. I was already not thrilled with the continued added size and memory use of the program and all the add-ons. I really liked it as a simple feed reader and it reached it's peak of being good to me when it added the ability to pull in your Google Reader feeds. Then they did the usual mistake and instead of sticking to a simple app that just works, had to add everything for everyone.
Closed Thread