Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 8300 and iPhone - iPhone, meh!

Please Login to Remove!

Now that the reviews have been flowing in, I don't feel so bad. Take away all the really awesome looking OS, and screen animations, I see it like this:

iPhone beats 8300:

Internet Browser -- but, so what? On an EDGE network only, I think the full layout stuff of the iPhone browser, is not gonna be that peppy. The BB browser is better suited for EDGE, and, with the new Opera mini 4, that gives the iPhone browser a LITTLE run for its money.

Maybe battery life - but, the BB has pretty good life, overall.

Wi-Fi (for now)

8300 beats iPhone:

Has stereo A2DP bluetooth streaming (can't believe the iPhone doesn't)
All kinds of e-mail and sync transports
Keyboard
You can cut and paste text (iPhone, no!)
Even has more 3rd party apps! (for now)
Camera seems to work better (or, they say the iPhone camera is tough in low light)
Voice dialing
I am VERY impressed with the 8300 of handling handoffs between multimedia, and incoming and outgoing calls, even on bluetooth. Maybe that will be the same on iPhone.

Any other thoughts?

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com

Last edited by jeffharris; 06-26-2007 at 08:35 PM..
Old 06-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
jdny516
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

i love my 8300 so far. And all this hype about the IPhone coming out i think is overrated. I feel that the Iphone is going to get so dirty/smuchy with all the fingerprints. And i for one hate having my S*%$ dirty, i guess you can say i am pretty anal about keeping this clean.

Also presentation wise, i think the 8300 looks better. I just think there is too much going on within the Iphone. They tried to cram everything into it.

Also if you get the Iphone, that is your life ultimately. I mean if you lose that thing, you lose your 300+ phone, your Ipod (runs for like 200+ for a regular one)

I guess you can say i am a little bias since i love blackberry, but my 2 cents
Old 06-26-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

This is all major speculation! We won't know anything until the iphone is actually released to the public. Reviews will flow in Friday night, and that's when we'll know just how Good or Bad the performance is and how it compares to other devices. I have to admit the thing really does look amazing, The more I see the commercial the more I like it. To compare the 8300 to the iphone is like comparing a Mercedes to a BMW! While both are great, each one caters to a different type of person. We'll just have to wait till Friday to see if Apple really did it's job, or is pushing really expensive paper weights out the door!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
ut james
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310

I NEVER thought I'd give up my Curve or Pearl. Nevertheless, on Friday, I'll be making the jump to an iPhone.

I will miss my:
MMS, Password keeper, voice dialing, speed dialing, shortcut keys and cut/paste. Which are all reasons why Blackberry will stay strong.

However, I'm young and attracted to shiny objects:
Large, hi-res touch screen looks cool.
The iphone browser looks fun.
Will sync with protected iTunes content (I only use iTunes anyway).
I'm used to <3G speeds without video, wi-fi and youtube will be a bonus.
I'm also used the small media features on BB's.
Who cares about video recording.
I didn't enjoy IM as much as I thought I would... I can do without.
If I NEED email pushed, I'll use Yahoo. Otherwise it updates every 15 min.
As long as I can SEND email instantly, I'll be fine.
I don't even use the 2gb microSD to capacity... 4-8gb is plenty for daily use.
I'll still have the rest of my library on my laptop and 60gb iPod.
Cheap data plans compared to BB on at&t!

And who knows, I'll probably be back with a Blackberry in the future. I don't use mine for work so it's not a big deal. Plus, I don't have unrealistic expectations, which helps. There were a lot of shortcomings with the Curve, but I can deal.

I'm really just praying for a good forum/resource like this one.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:43 PM   #5
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut james View Post
Cheap data plans compared to BB on at&t!

\.
Well, THAT statement is only true for domestic users. For international travellers, such as myself, BB e-mail and internet surfing is FREE, with the plan! If I used the iPhone overseas like I do my BB, I'd be paying $200-$500 a day for data...

And, @sean76 - the reviews ARE out -- the people who have had them, were allowed to voice their opinions, starting today, so, the blogs all have the reviews I worked my initial post off of .... as well, of COURSE you can compare a BMW to Mercedes. I have both, and others -- I can easily compare (Mercedes wins)!

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com

Last edited by jeffharris; 06-26-2007 at 11:58 PM..
Old 06-27-2007, 04:11 AM   #6
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post
Well, THAT statement is only true for domestic users. For international travellers, such as myself, BB e-mail and internet surfing is FREE, with the plan! If I used the iPhone overseas like I do my BB, I'd be paying $200-$500 a day for data...

And, @sean76 - the reviews ARE out -- the people who have had them, were allowed to voice their opinions, starting today, so, the blogs all have the reviews I worked my initial post off of .... as well, of COURSE you can compare a BMW to Mercedes. I have both, and others -- I can easily compare (Mercedes wins)!

Uhh Jeff, GENERAL PUBLIC!!!!
Not people Steve Jobs decided to give an iphone out to, everyday people! Anotherwords, the General population bud! Until Friday we all have no idea what this thing is capable of in everyday use, period! As for the Mercedes, BMW debate! Come on, I was merely using a German car feel to compare! Benz is plush (had an S class) and the Beemer is a little more sport friendly (had an M5). Just depends on what your taste is, and of course what model your comparing to each other! The point- The BB 8300 is a different taste with different features then the iphone, depends on what your looking for. While both look great, each one caters to a different person! The Porsche Panarama will put the German car debate to bed, 2009! That'll be like talking about the BB 9xxx series, another level my friend!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 AM   #7
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sean, understood. But, I was just posting feature to feature, usage opinions weren't included. It was just that the previewers gave us some more insight into more of the concrete features (or lack of them). And my post was conveying MY opinion, on the new insight to lack of certain, what I feel are, key features (like no copy and paste of text?!?) My point is not so much whether we are comparing apples to apples, or apples to oranges. I am just picking some general features we all like, or hope for, in a smartphone, and seeing how all this hype fares.

Sure, who wouldn't like a smartphone with all the features, and beautifully presented? Hands down, the HTC TyTN, or more recently, the upcoming HTC Kaiser does and will have it all as far as concrete features (WiFi, GPS, WM6, push everything, BB connect, all multimedia), and well presented. But, THERE is an example of usability -- it does it all, just not well.

The BB does everything it does, solidly, and without fluff. However, I am just surprised the BB, or the 8300 in particular, has multimedia features the much hyped iPhone doesn't (like A2DP support). IF I am looking for similar features in both phones, they both are capable of practically the same things, in terms of their barebones multimedia features (barring storage capacity), but, the BB has by far better phone features, and, I feel, stripped down to the bare features, the BB is more solid.

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com

Last edited by jeffharris; 06-27-2007 at 05:47 AM..
Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Sean, understood. But, I was just posting feature to feature, usage opinions weren't included. It was just that the previewers gave us some more insight into more of the concrete features (or lack of them). And my post was conveying MY opinion, on the new insight to lack of certain, what I feel are, key features (like no copy and paste of text?!?) My point is not so much whether we are comparing apples to apples, or apples to oranges. I am just picking some general features we all like, or hope for, in a smartphone, and seeing how all this hype fares.

Sure, who wouldn't like a smartphone with all the features, and beautifully presented? Hands down, the HTC TyTN, or more recently, the upcoming HTC Kaiser does and will have it all as far as concrete features (WiFi, GPS, WM6, push everything, BB connect, all multimedia), and well presented. But, THERE is an example of usability -- it does it all, just not well.

The BB does everything it does, solidly, and without fluff. However, I am just surprised the BB, or the 8300 in particular, has multimedia features the much hyped iPhone doesn't (like A2DP support). IF I am looking for similar features in both phones, they both are capable of practically the same things, in terms of their barebones multimedia features (barring storage capacity), but, the BB has by far better phone features, and, I feel, stripped down to the bare features, the BB is more solid.

I agree on that note!
The BB platform is most likely more stable, and can do most things the iphone can do
(to an extant) aside from touch and flip and the other bells and whistles. The iphone will just be one of those revolutionary products that come along every once is a while and blows the general consumer away. Most people that are looking at it don't even know what the Curve is, and how good the BB platform is as a whole. The Tytn, and upcoming Kaiser are loaded with features, and are real sexy looking devices, but the windows OS both 5 and 6 is what would steer me away and towards a BB. My 8830 on VZW will be my BB of choice for Business for now, and the iphone will merely be a toy and personal gadget,and it will get use in the gym with the ipod and all. But I will always agree with someone on the fact the BB does what it does, and it does it real good with hardly any headaches! You'll always find a BB attached and clipped to my belt.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
aeitingon

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t

Wall Street Journal has an in-depth review today
Old 06-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
Mandizzle
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9800
PIN: 2322E11D
Carrier: Rogers

I live in Canada so unfortunately the iPhone isn't even available to me here. But even if it was, I don't really think i'd be jumping to it.

Although it looks great and seems to come with all the bells and whistles it's not something I really NEED. I rarely use the camera/mp3/video on my Curve so I highly doubt I need a phone with all the multimedia capabilities of the iPhone.

I've been more satisfied with the Curve than any other handheld i've had to date so until the next BB comes out I think i'll just sit tight...

Oh and btw Sean I think you meant the Porsche Panamera not Panarama..
Old 06-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #11
mac443
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A

and you can load a mp3 on the 8300 and use it as a ringtone, heh
Old 06-27-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

To me it's simple...

If your #1 use for a device is phone and email, and you want added multimedia capability, the blackberries are the phone for you.

If your #1 use for the device is music, video, internet, photos, camera, etc., and also want it to handle phone calls and emails, the iphone is for you.

Business use = Blackberry
Consumer use = iphone

Regardless of your needs and desires, however, there is no denying that the iphone is revolutionary, groundbreaking and really cool looking. It has taken smartphones to the next level and everyone will benefit as the other manufacturers introduce new models and features to keep up.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #13
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6

I thought i saw that the data plans were the same as Blackberry, aren't they?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #14
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

I8Ub4, I agree with your assessment. But, this thread really is about me (and some of you), that may look at a phone as an overall tool, and weigh out the features, and, the quality of each feature. My main point was, if the iPhone was a boring OS, like the BB, the barebones features aren't that great.

And sean76, you might want to reassess your gym device of choice ... wouldn't be a lot nicer to be at the gym with a bluetooth stereo headset, such as this or this, rather than a wired one? The BB 8300 can do that, the iPhone cannot.

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com

Last edited by jeffharris; 06-27-2007 at 01:34 PM..
Old 06-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #15
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

iphone rate plans Apple - iPhone - Rate Plans for iPhone

iphone and ms exchange server » The iPhone will be compatible with Microsoft Exchange, after all | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com

iphone stereo bluetooth headset support - unknown Does the iPhone support A2DP (Stereo Bluetooth Audio) at iPhone FAQ - Information on the Apple iPhone but it supports the same Bluetooth 2.0+EDR as their computers.

I8UB4 - especially with 8300 users there is very little difference in potential users. between 88xx users and iphone alittle more but as the 8300 offers -stereo bluetooth, enhanced media options and camera i do not see the big difference in users. IF apple does indeed license the ms exchange server tech and continues to work with others to push email then the line will be blurred even more.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #16
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I8Ub4, I agree with your assessment. But, this thread really is about me (and some of you), that may look at a phone as an overall tool, and weigh out the features, and, the quality of each feature. My main point was, if the iPhone was a boring OS, like the BB, the barebones features aren't that great.

And sean76, you might want to reassess your gym device of choice ... wouldn't be a lot nicer to be at the gym with a bluetooth stereo headset, such as this or this, rather than a wired one? The BB 8300 can do that, the iPhone cannot.
Nope, luv using my ipod for workouts, and i'd say about 90% of the members of my gym use ipods as well! The wires don't bother me at all, I use the Bose headphones and there the best i've ever used. And now that I can have one device that does the music, and receive phonecalls just makes it that much easier for me! My 8830 will be safely sleeping on my desk, waiting for me to return after a workout.

Last edited by sean76; 06-27-2007 at 04:54 PM..
Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #17
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

-----
Quote:

I8UB4 - especially with 8300 users there is very little difference in potential users. between 88xx users and iphone alittle more but as the 8300 offers -stereo bluetooth, enhanced media options and camera i do not see the big difference in users. IF apple does indeed license the ms exchange server tech and continues to work with others to push email then the line will be blurred even more.[/QUOTE]

------

Personally, I don't really understand how the 8800 is much more of a business device than the 8300. OK, it doesn't have a camera, but they could make a camera-less 8300 which would do the same thing (and the 8300's form factor is better IMHO). And GPS? That's not a compelling business function, unless my company wants to keep tabs on where I am at all tiimes.

I am on a blackberry for one reason, and one reason only - email. My job requires me to be available at all times, and I need reliable, instantaneous email. Waiting 5 minutes to poll a IMAP or POP account, or waiting while the device re-boots after crashing is not an option. That is the "killer app" that the iphone has to prove it can handle.

That being said, I also REFUSE to carry around more than one device. I want to be able to have phone, music, video (which I use for work), camera (which has come in handy many times) and internet (which I use frequently to look up important information) in the same device I get my email.

Right now, the iphone's email/keyboard issue is the dealbreaker for me. My company won't support the email now even if it is exchange compatible. Besides, I need to know that the iphone email is RELIABLE and INSTANTANEOUS. Until I know that, I am sticking with a blackberry.

However, if it becomes apparent that the keyboard works fine, the push email solutions are reliable and my company will support the iphone, I would seriously consider switching. The iphone's form factor, UI, and OS are just too damn cool.

I don't see why other people who don't care so much about email would possibly choose a Blackberry over an iphone.

I love my 8300, but Blackberry better not get complacent and better start seriously upgrading their OS. I mean, I'm still not getting calendar reminders on my 8300 and I've had it for three weeks now. That should have been working out of the box, and certainly should have been fixed by now.

Last edited by I8UB4; 06-27-2007 at 09:43 PM..
Old 06-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #18
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I am not a "power-user" or a corporate warrior...and my company (where I am a sales manager) would never think about buying me a device. Hell...they used to give me a hard time about switching phones every month or two... . So, I am not a corporate user...but I am also not into the music/media thing either. I feel like that if you have time to play lots of games or watch a movie on your phone...you have too much time on your hands, and need to get a real job.

I came to BlackBerry by way of the Treo 680...which I really liked. However it was fatter and clunkier than I would have liked...and I realized after a while that I would never use all the stuff that it had a capability of doing. I am a very basic person, so I have two real needs in a handheld device...mobile communication as a mobile phone (must have great RF, loud enough earpiece volume & good incoming/outgoing sound quality) and as an email transfer source (must be able to sync at least every 15-minutes to all three of my accounts). Oh...and it has to be stable enough not to freeze or do something stupid on a regular basis. To me...the BlackBerry does what is important to me. It is not a whiz-bang techno-wonder...and I could give a rip about all that anyway. It takes care of what is important to me...and gives me absolutely no trouble at all. I started on my first BB (the Curve), and have since bought an 8800 as my backup/"work" device. Both perform flawlessly and I learn something new about them every day. And, every day I am amazed at how reliable and user-nice they are...even for a admitted non-techie like me.

The iPhone is beautiful...and very cool, there is no doubt (c'mon...admit it, it's very sexy). And I am sure they will sell millions...but for someone like me that just wants a fun phone (yeah...I don't think the BlackBerry is boring...) that takes care of everything I need to take care of on a daily basis...the only choice is BlackBerry.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:55 AM   #19
stac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110
Carrier: at&t
Wink

Quote:
Now that the reviews have been flowing in, I don't feel so bad. Take away all the really awesome looking OS, and screen animations, I see it like this:

iPhone beats 8300:

Internet Browser -- but, so what? On an EDGE network only, I think the full layout stuff of the iPhone browser, is not gonna be that peppy. The BB browser is better suited for EDGE, and, with the new Opera mini 4, that gives the iPhone browser a LITTLE run for its money.

Maybe battery life - but, the BB has pretty good life, overall.

Wi-Fi (for now)

8300 beats iPhone:

Has stereo A2DP bluetooth streaming (can't believe the iPhone doesn't)
All kinds of e-mail and sync transports
Keyboard
You can cut and paste text (iPhone, no!)
Even has more 3rd party apps! (for now)
Camera seems to work better (or, they say the iPhone camera is tough in low light)
Voice dialing
I am VERY impressed with the 8300 of handling handoffs between multimedia, and incoming and outgoing calls, even on bluetooth. Maybe that will be the same on iPhone.

Any other thoughts?

Ok, ok... I know I don't have a looking glass into Jobs' head or anything... but much of what you point out as deficiencies in the iPhone (other than the EDGE radio) are 'correctable' by software. We all know what Apple can do with software - and the phone runs the core of their OS, so the sky is the limit on what this device is capable of. Yes, first and foremost, it's a phone... but as a mobile computing platform, it's really got great potential.

I was the first person to balk at the lack of an SDK for developers to do great things with the phone. I was really looking forward to a terminal application that would allow me to hack around in the OS... it's just a matter of time before things like that appear. Web based apps have already hit the web... Google apps are said to be compatible with the Safari platform on the phone... that gives the iPhone a real leg up on Blackberry right there! A nice word processor and spreadsheet program with a screen to make it look right.

I, for one, am looking forward to the iPhone journey... the product hasn't even hit the stores yet, and there are more promising apps being developed for it (admittedly web based) than there are for my killer 8300 that I have on my belt today. Today being the operative word, of course. By 6PM tomorrow, I'll be fingering my new phone.

Peace,
Stac

'This one goes to eleven...'
Old 06-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #20
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stac View Post
By 6PM tomorrow, I'll be fingering my new phone.

Peace,
Stac
Very funny, and good perspective on the iphone, im not sure i will buy one but im interested to test it out myself.