Old 11-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Where are the 3rd Party Apps?

Please Login to Remove!

I used the DM to load my 3rd party apps that I made a backup of. It seemed to have worked. I did a battery pull, but they aren't there. Not on the main page or under Applications... but they are listed if I go to Options/Applications.

Anybody have any indea where they might be??

Thanks,
Sandy
Old 11-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
vas729
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Check the downloads folder.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
The Sand

They are there! Thanks so much... I was just going to use the DM to uninstall them and then download from the internet each one, one by one, which would have taken so much longer...

Thanks so much!

Sandy
Old 11-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
The Sand

Actually I can't get a lot of them to execute - they keep freezing it up. Also, I didn't realize until now that the browser is like the Opera Browser. Or like an iPhone. I had no idea.... I thought the Browser would be like the Curve running OS 4.5. I just can't see it. If it is going to be that way you need a much bigger screen - like the iPhone. I realize you can zoom in but I really don't want to have to do that all the time...

This it's going back to the store tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Well there you go then. Did you check out the 9700 before buying or just dive right in? The 9700 is several generations newer than the 8310, and has a very new OS, so there is a lot different from what you are used to.

I suspect many of the applications you had on the 8310 won't be compatible with the 9700 without downloading updated versions of the apps, but I could be wrong about that. But if you simply moved your apps from the 8310 to the 9700 and the apps failed, that would be my guess.

As far as the browser is concerned, you can set a minimum font size so that the text isn't so tiny. It doesn't alway work, but it helps. The browser on the 9700 is terrible, but then so was the browser on the 8310. RIM has some work to do to make the browser better.

You shouldn't give up so fast. Instead, you should read about how to use your phone. But if you do decide to give up, then I hope you enjoy whatever phone you end up with.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
The Sand

I agree with you about the apps and was FULLY aware that could happen. I was also aware that taking the data off the Curve to the Bold could not go well. So, that was to be expected. And I am up for the work. I just did a format and clean install of Windows 7 for the second time. Had a graphics driver issue (cumputer started crashing) and had to start over. And I did it gladly because Windows 7 is so much better than Vista. I will put in the work and fight to get the manufacturer to release the driver to get this OS running on my Dell (so far so good.) When it's better you keep at it.

I can live with stuff I don't like on the Bold. And there were things I didn't like. But who cares and why go into that. It's going back because there is an 8800 and an 8310 in the house and they beat it - and beat it bad. If it was a horse race - they would have lapped it. And I set the settings the same (colums view) etc. At least as best I could considering it's a newer OS. Here's what my technical opinion is. RIM is trying to get these phones to look more like a comptuer - so it's loading more content (even in column view.) You HAVE to use more resources and bandwidth to do that... no way around it. Thus it is slower. That or it's broken. Or there is something wrong with the 3G network in my area.

In the end I may lose this fight with BB... because the OS for the new Tour could have the same browser configurations. It would be a shame if they did this... My mother and sister are both in a panc over this - they have owned BB's since their inception. Me not that long - but I really want to stay with BB. But I also want speed and functionality. It never occurred to me that the Bold wouldn't deliver. I guess that's my fault... and I am very sad over this.

Thanks for the feedack and help...

Sandy

Last edited by The Sand; 11-29-2009 at 02:39 PM..
Old 11-30-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Interesting. Well, RIM is working to re-write the browser to be more capable, and has even purchased Torch Mobile to make a new webkit-based browser for BlackBerries. So RIM hears you (and many, many others).

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
The Sand

Thanks for passing that along.

I have done MASSIVE research on this now... the slower browser has been written about in almost every review. It's all over the internet which is good. RIM needs to hear this so they can make it better.

I did go to the store and return the Bold - while there I saw that every BB with an OS higher than 4.5 has the same browser. So, getting the new Curve/Tour wouldn't change anything...

After searching high and low for another suitable replacement for BB there isn't one. Really... there isn't. You either lose the ability for video -the camera flash - the screen resolution - call quality -it just goes on and on, and you are left with... nothing. No good choice.

I need another phone this year. I really didn't want to buy the same thing - same "older" Curve. I have waited since June for the release of the Bold.

Right now there are 2 new Bolds (long story) in boxes, sitting on the dryer in the laundry room. Just sitting there. I don't know what to do now...

Sandy

p.s. Just to pass along helpful info here - you always get a 30 day trial period for return. But if you purchase from a store you will pay a $35. restocking fee. You pay nothing if you do it online (except shipping - which would be less than $35.)

Still sitting here... undecided...
Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
The Sand

We had 2 left because we all wanted one... I went at it again, and this is the Worst. Browser. Ever.

They all go back - nobody in the home wants this BB.

I hope they fix this - so we can utilize 3G (it was worthless - 2G was faster) and SEE it. You can't see it. I don't care how you pound on the settings... you can't see it like OS 4.5.

I'll have to find something else until they fix this.

Sandy
Old 12-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
The Sand

We just bought 2 of these:

Nokia USA - Nokia N900 - Products

Currently they are having an issue with calendar sync which they are aware of and fixing. It will be released in a software update.

They are out of stock right now so we will have to wait about a week for it to come.

So, if anybody else is upset about where BB is going in regard to their browser - this could be an acceptable alternative. Really, it's the only acceptable alternative I have been able to find...

Sandy
Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
freedom

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mobile

@The Sand - was your biggest complaint the browsing on the BB?
Have you tried Bolt Browser, or Opera?

Join the fun. Great Game: http://sirfreedom.mybrute.com/
Old 12-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #12
The Sand

I don't like Opera and haven't tried Bolt. I liked the BB Browser in Column View - I thought it was perfect - I have no idea why they would make it "smaller."

But clearly that is they way they are going now since 4.6 and 5.0 have it. No need "Raging against the machine." I just have to move on... and hope the new phone I get helps me get over my BB withdrawl.

Thanks for passing along the info!

Sandy
Old 12-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #13
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Well... the BlackBerry definitely isn't for everyone.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Closed Thread