Old 11-08-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
blackberry-baby
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
PIN: 24FD31B1
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Getting a curve....just a few questions

Please Login to Remove!

After becoming utterly frustrated with my 4 year old 8700, I have decided to sell it and have purchased a Curve from Ebay.

When i went to the Vodafone shop to have a mess around with one the man in the shop said certain applications are already loaded on there like Live Messenger and Facebook - is this true? if Not, how easy is it to load applications? does it follow the same procedure as I would for the 8700.

I had such bright hopes for my 8700, all the things I can do on it (apparently) only to be told by my little friend in Vodafone ( he always helps me - iv even boggled the people from vodafone and blackberry!!) that my phone is simply too old to take on the applications.

So yeah any advice or anything would be good - should be here by Tuesday
Old 11-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

First, be assured that while there are many enhancements on the Curve not available on the 8700, the 8700 is a great workhorse and STILL a very viable device. Granted, it does not have a camera, or an SD slot, Wi-Fi or GPS depending on which model, but it can be upgraded to OS 4.5 which makes the common features between it and the 8300 pretty much on par.

That said, the answer to your immediate question is it SHOULD be VERY easy to install Facebook and Live Messenger on a curve - DEPENDING....

Some carriers (most notably AT&T) still refuse to allow some applications. Now I've never heard of this complaint with Vodaphone, but the device you get will have a carrier code associated with it. If, for instance, you purchased an AT&T Curve, you MIGHT not be able to install AIM because it's restricted on the Download Page which MAY see your device as being from AT&T and not allow it to be installed.

I haven't heard of any restrictions on either Facebook or Live Messenger, and both are available to install OTA (Over The Air) by using your BlackBerry's Browser and going to:
Live Messenger: http://www.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=wlm20
Facebook: http://www.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=facebook
If you go to http://www.blackberry.com/instantmessaging/ using your BlackBerry's Browser and click the [Search] button, all the "regular" (not FaceBook) IM clients available for your device will be listed with OTA links.

BTW - this should also work on your current 8700! Frankly, I think your "man at the shop" was more interested in selling you a new BlackBerry than giving you ALL your options. Believe me, if you have the money the Curve is worth while upgrade, but as I said before, there's plenty of life left in your "old" 8700. They wouldn't have made OS 4.5 available for it if it otherwise!

Hope that helps.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
jerry12

Model: 9650
PIN: 32486DBC
Carrier: us cellular
Thumbs up curve

the curve is a good phone with a lot of features i think that you will enjoy it i my self have the curve 8330 and like it.

first cell phone 1994 / join us cellular April 2004
Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry-baby View Post
When i went to the Vodafone shop to have a mess around with one the man in the shop said certain applications are already loaded on there like Live Messenger and Facebook - is this true? if Not, how easy is it to load applications? does it follow the same procedure as I would for the 8700.

I had such bright hopes for my 8700, all the things I can do on it (apparently) only to be told by my little friend in Vodafone ( he always helps me - iv even boggled the people from vodafone and blackberry!!) that my phone is simply too old to take on the applications.
Sounds fishy to me too. I mean, certain apps that utilize a camera/WiFi/GPS/etc won't be of much use on the 8700 but I can't think of an app that runs on the 8310 that won't run on the 8700.

The model of your BB doesn't really affect how you load the app. It's really the app that determines how you install the app. Try to perform OTA loads whenever possible. They're generally much easier.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
bnmcamp

Model: 8830
PIN: 30448ADC
Carrier: Alltel

Wirelessly posted

I had my 8330 for about a month now and I love it. I came from a bb 7250.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
urvec
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I love my curve. I switched from 8100, and there is a huge difference, especialy since i finally got BIS
Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
HooB

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

I have had My bb 8330 for a week And i am absolutely In love with the phone.. Mos def a great buy=]
Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

Great phone. But if you are a fast and familiar BB user, you will find yourself ahead of the Curve (pun intended) as the processor and mem will not be able to keep up .
Old 11-11-2008, 05:02 AM   #9
aapierre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9520

bb/facebook app is brilliant and easy to load/run/use
Old 12-10-2008, 05:04 AM   #10
blackberry-baby

Model: 8700
PIN: 24FD31B1

Yeah well I have had ther Curve now for about a month. I am just upgrading the OS so I can have my themes and youtube etc.

I do love the versatility of it, it just does everything. Its like I have had phones before in the past and its like 'the phones great....shame it doesnt do this....or that' blah blah, but its just perfect.....like....wholly perfect
Closed Thread