Old 02-04-2005, 06:00 AM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default BlackBerry IM Chat Apps/FAQ - MSN/AIM/ICQ/Yahoo/Google [UPDATED]

Please Login to Remove!

BlackBerry Instant Messaging FAQ

What Instant Messaging Software Is Available For BlackBerry?

BeeJive's JiveTalk (Multi Network) (One-Time Fee) (see review)
IM+ (Multi Network) (One-Time Fee)
RIM's Google Talk (Google Talk) (Free)
RIM's Yahoo Messenger (Yahoo) (Free)
RIM's Windows Messenger (MSN) (Free, only on some carriers)
RIM's AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) (Free, only on some carriers)
RIM's BlackBerry Messenger (PIN) (Free)
Yak-On (Multi Network) (One-Time Fee)
WebMessenger (Multi Network) (Annual Subscription)
Causerie Messenger (Multi Network) (Annual Subscription)
BerryVine Messenger (MSN Direct Connect) (One-Time Fee)
QuickIM Messenger (MSN Direct Connect) (One-Time Fee)
Ramble (AIM Direct Connect) (Freeware)
BlackChat ICQ (ICQ Direct Connect) (Free Open Source)
(Updated List: Click Here.)

How Do I Configure My BlackBerry To Work With Instant Messaging Software?

It's now automatic with the better software, such as JiveTalk - no further configuration needed. In fact, with a minimal amount of extra configuring, most BlackBerry instant messaging software now work even without a BlackBerry plan (See article on using BlackBerry on a Cheap Data Plan, just configure the APN setting). Many software programs can be configured to automatically work over the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS), which is always included with all BlackBerries and are usually not blocked. In other cases, you can just configure the APN. For common carriers that do not work automatically with instant messaging software on BlackBerry, please see a list of common APN's.

What about Instant Messaging Built Into T-Mobile BlackBerry?

It is perfectly adequate for light usage. If you are not a heavy IM user, then this client works very well. However there are disadvantages to the Instant Messenger built into T-Mobile BlackBerry (Oz Instant Messaging):
- It uses SMS messages, instead of data.
- It is slow. Messages are delayed by a few seconds, sometimes worse.
- In older versions, you cannot hit Enter to transmit messages.
- You cannot be logged onto multiple chat networks at the same time.
- You cannot conduct multiple chat conversations simultaneously as easily
- It cannot run in the background reliably in a 24/7 always-on mode.
- Alerting is not as configurable as the best BlackBerry IM clients.

Heavy IM users prefer a full-fledged client, such as JiveTalk for BlackBerry, which overcomes many of these problems.

What Is Instant Messaging?

If you don't know what instant messaging is, then you are probably not interested in using instant messaging on BlackBerry. However, this FAQ will explain instant messaging anyway for completeness.

Instant Messaging (IM) is a form of Internet chat. It is called "IM" for short. Essentially, IM is a text version of a telephone call that is more realtime than email or SMS. An IM conversation typically looks like the following:
Quote:
Mark: Hello!
Smith: hey back
Mark: Did you hear from Sherrie?
Smith: Not yet - trying to reach her by phone, no answer
Mark: When you reach her, tell her about the dinner at dad's.
Mark: And say hi to her for me!
Smith: Definitely will! Do you want me to bring the cookies we just baked?
Mark: Yep
Smith: Great. They're REALLY delcious
Smith: You'll love them!
Mark: Look forward to it! I'll ping you back at 4pm.
There are several different instant messaging networks:
MSN - Microsoft MSN Messenger, Windows Messenger
AIM - AOL Instant Messenger
ICQ - ICQ Instant Messaging Service
Y! - Yahoo! Messenger
GTALK - Google Talk

Most installations of Windows XP usually include an application called "Windows Messenger", which connects to the MSN Messenger network. This program can easily be used as a trial, to see if you like instant messaging. IM was only a niche market for business, but is becoming much more popular with businesses, especially with the introduction of Jabber-based protocols and enterprise messaging. It is popular among consumers, especially young people, as well as among deaf people including Mark Rejhon, the writer of this FAQ.

IM includes a contact list called a "Buddy List". Usually, only people who are inside your Buddy List are authorized to contact you. That allows you to prevent strangers from even attempting to reach you by IM, and it is also very easy to block someone from reaching you by IM, simply by removing their name from your Buddy list, or using a blocking feature.

Why Use Instant Messaging?

Extra communications choice for your BlackBerry.
Some people check their email faster -- Use your BlackBerry email.
Some people prefer phone -- Call them via your BlackBerry phone
Some people prefer IM chat -- Ping them via JiveTalk

This can be true, especially if you know people who tend to hang out all the time on at least one of the IM networks. There are many times it can be more discreet than a phone call, and internationally. It can actually be cheaper to chat via IM, than making a roaming phone call.

IM is good for realtime chatting. It is typically treated as a text equivalent of a telephone call. Email is almost fast enough to be realtime, but you can't read and write at the same time -- while you can with IM! You can read incoming messages scrolling in simultaneously while you're writing a reply in IM. At the beginning of 2004, there was only 2 chat programs available for BlackBerry. By the end of 2004, there was over 15 chat programs available, including several instant messenger software programs! Now in 2007, there are many more, so only a small list is mentioned. Of these, most people tend to prefer JiveTalk, IM+, or RIM's own chat clients. In a year from now, something better could even come out.

What Are The Advantages Of Instant Messaging?

There are some advantages of IM:
  • Realtime conversation.
  • Split screen chat.
  • Read & Write simultaneously.
  • Color coded text: Red versus Blue.
  • Chat to more than 1 person at the same time.
  • Some IM software supports multiple people in the same "chat room".
  • Can be a substitute for telephone conversations, if phone is turned off.
  • Sometimes, some people prefer IM over phone or email -- especially younger people, deaf and hearing impaired persons, etc.

Advantages of Using Instant Messaging Over SMS

Some people have asked what are the advantages of using a dedicated instant messaging client instead of using plain old SMS. Most BlackBerry IM clients such as JiveTalk use data instead of SMS text messages.

Advantages Of Using IM Instead Of SMS:
  • Some BlackBerry plans have unlimited data, but not unlimited SMS
  • True 2-way chat, you can type while they are messaging you;
  • Chat faster, quicker messaging, messages arrive in just 1-2 seconds;
  • Multitask multiple conversations more easily;
  • Group conversations are possible in some IM software;
  • Just hit Enter to send message, and you're immediately ready to type the next message;
  • You can easily chat to someone sitting at a computer too, not just another phone;
  • Cheaper than a long distance call;
Disadvantages of Using IM Instead Of SMS:
  • Cost of software such as annual subscription fee, although this may be still be cheaper than the cost of an "Unlimited" SMS add-on.
  • Not good if you do not have an unlimited data plan;
  • Overkill, if you only do very infrequent SMS or IM;
  • Other people need to run IM software too, or log onto an IM system over SMS. (People can log onto AIM using SMS, so you that SMS users can send messages to your IM client that way!)

I Don't Have Instant Messaging Accounts. How Do I Sign Up?

Here are the signup links for each Instant Messaging Network. All are free:
MSN: MSN Messenger
AIM: AOL Instant Messenger
Y!: Yahoo Messenger
GTALK: Google Talk

Some of the IM software programs support all networks simultaneously. If you have never used instant messaging, you do not need to sign up for all the networks. The most popular networks are MSN and AIM respectively. If you wished, you could just use MSN, just because it is included with Windows XP. Also, did you know that if you have a Hotmail account, you can just use your Hotmail username and password to logon to the MSN Messenger system? So that means you've already got an account on MSN if you are a Hotmail user!

Software such as JiveTalk do not require you to have accounts on all systems. Just keep the username and password blank for the IM networks that you do not use, and disable the login checkbox for those IM accounts. You can just use 1 or 2 accounts, rather than all 4 networks, if you wish.

Too Many People Contacting Me! What Do I Do Now?

This can sometimes happen if you imported your whole massive desktop buddy list into your BlackBerry.

To solve this problem, the easiest solution is to simply signup for separate IM accounts for your BlackBerry, separate from your desktop. That way, you can only add only the most important contacts ("buddies") to your IM buddy lists. That means people who you don't want contacting you on your BlackBerry, won't be able to ring you on your BlackBerry via IM.

Quote:
This is a "Mark Rejhon BlackBerry FAQ" article.
Copyright (C) 2005, 2007 by Mark Rejhon, All Rights Reserved. Some portions may be Copyright (C) by respective forum members.
Mark Rejhon grants permission to use this article only for private use. For all other uses, please ask Mark Rejhon at Mark Rejhon - aka Marky - Home Page of Mark D. Rejhon to ask for permission to use this article. If any content of this article also contains content by other forum members, please ask them for permission too as well. This includes commercial use, public use, reposting in full/part anywhere on the Internet, publication in magazine/book or any other media, or any other use than private use. This copyright notice may not be edited or removed in any manner. Mark Rejhon reserves exclusive right to edit, remove, or restore this article, and this article may not be edited, removed, or restored by any other individual or organizations.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 10-17-2007 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Modernization of FAQ for Year 2007
Old 02-04-2005, 06:03 AM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

For more information about Mark Rejhon's favourite IM client for BlackBerry, see:
Verichat 1.78 Download Thread (With New Features List)

Or alternatively, enter this web address in your BlackBerry Browser for an Over-The-Air download:
http://www.verichat.com/ota/VeriChat.jad (Version 1.91)

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 03-14-2005 at 07:53 PM..
Old 02-08-2005, 06:34 PM   #3
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

This FAQ has now been updated again (February 8th, 2005).

If you have any common questions about instant messaging, please post in this thread, and I will do my best to integrate it in this FAQ.

Quote:
Too Many People Contacting Me! What Do I Do Now?

This can sometimes happen if you imported your whole massive desktop buddy list into your BlackBerry.

To solve this problem, the easiest solution is to simply signup for separate IM accounts for your BlackBerry, separate from your desktop. That way, you can only add only the most important contacts ("buddies") to your IM buddy lists. That means people who you don't want contacting you on your BlackBerry, won't be able to ring you on your BlackBerry via IM.

The author of this FAQ, Mark Rejhon, uses this method. He keeps eight separate IM accounts -- two each on all four networks, four for desktop use and four for BlackBerry use. He keeps a subset of only the most important IM contacts on the BlackBerry.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 03-14-2005 at 07:53 PM..
Old 02-14-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Diceman

Mark (or anyone) does the IM client use actual minutes on the phone or is it part of the web portion. I am assuming the web portion, but want to make sure. Any help would be great.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

That would be part of your data plan (web portion)
Old 02-15-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye
That would be part of your data plan (web portion)
Do all the IM clients ( WeMessenger, Verichat, BerryVine Messenger etc.) use the same amount of data when conducting a conversation? Since these programs have different fee structures, are some better value than others, strictly on an "data efficiency" standpoint?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #7
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

If I actually paid for my service I could tell you, but unfortunately I'm not sure :(
Old 02-15-2005, 06:38 PM   #8
RMS

Default T-Mobile help

Can anyone tell me if i've missed a step?

I downloaded the t-mobile version of verichat, I have myAPN at wap.voicestream.com, I have tried with force MDS on and Off and I still get an error "Failed to transmit"

I have full GPRS, I have 4.0 on the phone and desktop.

In the options/applications there are 2 versions of verichat listed, 1.78B and then indented right below is 1.51b

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

I was under the impression that t-mobile has re-openned ports in the wap gateway. Are there any confirmations for Los Angeles?

Thank you

Rony
Old 02-15-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

At this stage, I believe you now have to telephone T-Mobile to make sure that the wap.voicestream.com is properly added to your account. Sometimes you have to do this.

Make sure you contact a BlackBerry tech support representative and ask for this quote "I am calling about my phone. I need to have something added to my account. I need the wap dot voicestream dot com Internet Access Point Name added to my account." (or say something similiar).
Old 02-15-2005, 11:29 PM   #10
RMS

Already did that. I have everything in place. my account is in order and I have the correct service. They were even trying to troubleshoot it with me! I guess they changed their policy about 3rd party support. Anyhow, they couldn't figure it out either :(
Old 02-16-2005, 12:18 AM   #11
RMS

got it to work!
I decided to just reinstall the 4.0 software and it whiped my phone clean and now it works after a fresh install.
Thank you everyone for your help
Old 02-16-2005, 01:54 AM   #12
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Excellent. If they're currently answering the phone quickly, you might want to call T-Mobile back and let them know how you fixed the problem! So that they can improve tech support procedures. At least if you're calling T-Mobile back for other reasons, make it a point to mention how you fixed it, out of matter of courtesy!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:12 PM   #13
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

You can download Verichat 1.91 Over-The-Air by entering this web address into your BlackBerry browser:
http://www.verichat.com/ota/VeriChat.jad

Handango did not allow PDAapps to post a version that had all 4 networks, because of some kind of deal they have with AOL.

Please note, if you last installed Verichat via BlackBerry Desktop, you must uninstall that version before you download Over-The-Air. Yes, your same registration code will work.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:08 PM   #14
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

PDAapps used to post every upgrade on their download webpage. Now for whatever reason they just offer periodic upgrades.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:47 PM   #15
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

That's because they are working hard on the new single-socket version. All four networks are multiplexed over one single connection, to solve several problems. It's a vastly major architectural change, which is why it is taking so long.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:29 PM   #16
pdxchick
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Hi Mark Rejhon,

This is a dumb question but I know Mark you prefer public questions rather than PM, so here goes:

If two people have Blackberries that both have Verichat and you are primarily interested in chatting with each other at times that you cannot talk on the phone, is Verichat and IM in general the way to go or should we just use SMS?

Basically I am not IMing with anyone else, but I like to use it for real-time or non-real time quick messages. I know SMS is not two-way real time, however it seems like IM might be overkill if you don't have other buddies you want to chat with and both people have Blackberries.

Also not using IM from the computer, just the handheld.

Thoughts or pros/cons?

Thanks...
- pdxchick
Old 02-24-2005, 04:45 AM   #17
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

pdxchick:

Yes, you can do Verichat from BlackBerry to BlackBerry if you wish. It can be an excellent way to conduct a conversation. Not a dumb question, but an excellent question that other people no doubt want to know more about. There are advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages Of Using Verichat Instead Of SMS
  • Some BlackBerry plans have unlimited data (good for Verichat) but not unlimited SMS
  • True 2-way chat, you can type while they are messaging you.
  • Chat faster, quicker messaging, messages arrive in just 1-2 seconds.
  • Multitask multiple conversations
  • Group conversations will be possible in an upcoming version of Verichat
  • The other end doesn't necessarily require Verichat; it can just be anything that can access the same IM networks that Verichat can. (i.e. AIM, etc)
  • Just hit Enter to send message, and you're immediately ready to type the next message
  • You can easily chat to someone sitting at a computer too, if you decide to do this later.
  • Cheaper than a long distance call
Disadvantages of Using Verichat Instead Of SMS
  • Annual subscription of ~$35 per year, but this may be cheaper than an "Unlimited" SMS add-on
  • Not good if you do not have an unlimited data plan
  • Overkill, if you only do infrequent SMS
  • Other people need to run Verichat or other instant messaging software too (However, there's a workaround! The other end can setup to send SMS over AIM, if they wish, so they can send an SMS message to your Verichat that way!)
Old 02-25-2005, 01:55 AM   #18
pdxchick
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the info, Mark. Based on your excellent breakdown, I think we'll try the SMS route first. Reason being we use messaging infrequently and that Verichat when open seems to access data more often which affects my ability to get phone calls and also the battery life.

It is an excellent application and for me, if I had more IM buddies I'd be all over it. For now, I tend to call them if we both can talk at the same time and I was just looking for something to send messages to my husband.

I'll keep playing to see if my usage model with change.

- pdxchick
Old 02-25-2005, 02:49 AM   #19
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

While you're at it, did you know Windows XP already comes with Windows Messenger?

1. Click Start
2. Select "All Programs"
3. Select "Windows Messenger"
4. Login using your MSN account.

This is free and already pre-installed on your computer, so it is good for testing things out too. You can create two MSN accounts (using the links in my FAQ above), one for your computer, one for your BlackBerry. And do some tests sending messages back and fourth between the BlackBerry and the desktop computer -- at least while you're still within your 2 week VeriChat trial period.

You probably do not need IM anyway, but if you are going to play with it anyway -- you might as well do the simple 1-2-3-4 steps above too
Old 02-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #20
MobileRC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300

Hey Mark,

I downloaded it and it works great right off the bat. My only question is... How does it affect my phone? Will people be able to call me while I am chatting or if I have VeriChat running in the background? Since theoretically you can only do one at a time either voice GSM or GPRS
Closed Thread