Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
AllHostOne

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Turning off voice control

Please Login to Remove!

Evening.

Just got the Z10, and have to say, very impressed =) One thing thats bugging me is that when I have my headphones in and music playing, the voice control seems to go on randomly, I have a feeling it's something when the headphones but I have no idea, its really annoying cycling along listoning to music and then all of a sudden it starts beeping at me and telling me it cant understand....

Simply, anyway to disable the voice control?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default Re: Turning off voice control

It's probably not the headphones, rather you are pressing a button on the handset or you still have "screen gestures on while locked" enabled.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
WalkingToaster
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Bad answer- vague and even wrong at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
It's probably not the headphones.
It's definitely not the headphones. No "probably" about it.

Quote:
...rather you are pressing a button on the handset
Which button? Be specific. There are only 4 physical buttons, you should work out which for the benefit of all the hundreds of people who will come here looking for an answer to this problem- instead of firing off a weak answer because you don't want to do 30 seconds of research first.

It is the MIDDLE BUTTON (between the volume +/- buttons) on the right hand side of the phone. A lot of people are going to come here looking for answers to that question- might as well write the best answer possible, not just vaguely point them in the right direction. People KNOW they are pressing "a button" already. You are stating the obvious.

Anyone can give vague, useless advice. My gran could do that, and she thinks I'm talking about food when I talk about BlackBerrys.

I notice you've racked up on average over 5 posts a day since 2005. A big fan of quantity over quality, aren't you? In a post I have regarding an IMAP connection problem, you told me to change carrier! That's like telling someone with a flat tire to buy a new car, because you don't know how to change the tire. There is so much wrong with that sort of lazy advice.

The OP is most likely pressing this button with the movement of his leg as he cycles.

Here's why:

1) By default there is no password, and many users are not locking their Z10's with passwords because they find this harder to do without physical keyboards. I suspect the OP is also not using a password- or he is, but the phone is not set to lock quickly enough- so the voice control button gets pressed within 30 minutes (default lock time) of him putting it back in his pocket.

2) Secondly: the voice control shortcut cannot be disabled. This sucks big time. I'm sure less than 50% of people use this feature (maybe less than 10% or even 5%) -but 100% of us have it enabled and can't turn it off yet. Unless the phone is locked with a password, pressing this will open voice control. The only way the OP can make it impossible for voice control to start by itself (apart from putting the phone in a different pocked where the middle button can't get pressed by accident) is to set a password. It's not enough for the screen to have powered off, that shortcut key will still be active. It's mental.

Quote:
...or you still have "screen gestures on while locked" enabled.
I love this one. It's so completely wrong.

The "screen gestures on while locked" option just disables gestures while the phone is "locked"- meaning you need to use the power button to wake it, instead of a swipe gesture. This has nothing to do with the OP's problem. As the screenshot above shows- this takes zero research to discover, as there is a label next to that option saying exactly what it does.

Last edited by WalkingToaster; 04-20-2013 at 11:06 PM..
Old 04-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Thanks for that enlightening post - I'm pretty sure you've never heard of the word "etiquette" - am I correct?

Don't know who pissed in your Corn Flakes today, but you probably deserved it - and you need to learn how to get along with others if you're going to post in an open forum, instead of blatantly displaying your arrogance while trying to teach us a lesson.

No brownie points for that around here - in fact, most will become more dismissive of you and your posts over time.

DC/DC was not wrong; he might have missed one or two things, but what he said was helpful, because it points the OP in the right direction, and he wasn't rude, unlike you...

...this is where you go and sift through all of my previous posts here and try to come up with some brilliant retort(s) to try and discredit me...I'm waiting...and maybe you'll make it to 32 posts with that too! Wow.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
AllHostOne

This thread gets interesting ;)

Thanks WalkingToaster, your right, I dont have a password set because it would be really annoying every time to unlock my phone, and I look at my phone alot and would be highly annoying entering a password to unlock it constantly. Hopefully in 10.1 there is this option as it really is a pain..... It must be when im moving my legs on my bike, it touchs my jacket or whatever and suddenly activates it....

It's a bit annoying there is not a 'convenience keys' option unlike in BB7. I had the same issue with my 9380, found the setting for it and turnt off the convenience key for it.

Last edited by AllHostOne; 04-22-2013 at 02:40 AM..
Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Koodo Mobile

I don't see it in 10.1.0.429. It could show up in a general release, but for now, password is the only way to achieve this.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 04-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
AllHostOne

Bit annoying, it did when i was walking to, and im sure it has something to do with my headphones. I have my phone in my hand (fingers away from buttons) , and was moving the headphone jack around and it went off, moved it more and it went off, did it few times, so unless the button is extremely sensitive to the wind....
Closed Thread