BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
CoolGadget

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default How to sync my contacts om my private pc to my company BB?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

I recently received my first BB from the company I work for.
So I'm new to the BB World.

I would like to sync my private contacts from my outlook on my private pc at home to my BB.

I set up desktopmanager, and when I tried to sync the contacts, it says its not possible cause contacts are configered for wireless synchronisation.

Does this means I need to input all my private contacts manual without changing or deleting any settings that my company put on my BB?

Tnx for the help

Regards

CoolGadget
Old 08-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I assume that you are on the company BES and they have an IT Policy in place which really limits what can be done with THEIR device. Not real smart to try to circumvent company policies, particularly if you value your job. It is their device and they pay the freight so they can do what they feel is necessary.

My suggestion is to talk to the BES Admin and see if it is allowed and how to do it or as you said, enter them manually. But then your personal stuff is no longer personal if you put it on a company device.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

If you want to sync via Desktop Manager, then you need to disable Wireless Sync on your device. (This will stop your device from syncing your contacts with your address book on your work PC)
Address Book > Options > Wireless Synchronization = Off

You should check with your BES admin. They may frown upon doing this.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Ricky-Ray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

In outlook, go to file and click on import/export. Choose Export to a file and select Personal File Folder (.pst). Select your contacts folder and click on export. Once it's done, copy the file to a usb thumb drive and then take it to work and plug it into the work computer.

On your work computer's outlook, click on File, import/export and then select import from another program or file. Select personal folder file (.pst) and then direct the computer to the file on the thumb drive.

Done you now have your home contacts on your work outlook. Once it's in outlook it will automatically sync the new info to your blackberry.

You do not want to email the pst file to your office. Outlook will automatically block the pst file.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Ross0
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: SPCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
If you want to sync via Desktop Manager, then you need to disable Wireless Sync on your device. (This will stop your device from syncing your contacts with your address book on your work PC)
Address Book > Options > Wireless Synchronization = Off

You should check with your BES admin. They may frown upon doing this.
Any easy way to temporarily disable all wireless synchronization (Calendar, todo, contacts etc) all at once, as opposed to individually? i too would like to come home and sync my BB with my home computer.

on a side note, its my personal BB that I bought and hooked up to the network, bc I did not want the 8700g or the tmobile service that my firm was providing.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross0 View Post
Any easy way to temporarily disable all wireless synchronization (Calendar, todo, contacts etc) all at once, as opposed to individually?
Nope.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
In outlook, go to file and click on import/export. Choose Export to a file and select Personal File Folder (.pst). Select your contacts folder and click on export. Once it's done, copy the file to a usb thumb drive and then take it to work and plug it into the work computer.

On your work computer's outlook, click on File, import/export and then select import from another program or file. Select personal folder file (.pst) and then direct the computer to the file on the thumb drive.

Done you now have your home contacts on your work outlook. Once it's in outlook it will automatically sync the new info to your blackberry.

You do not want to email the pst file to your office. Outlook will automatically block the pst file.
That's what I would do...
Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW
Default Wireless Settings

Actually on the BES you can disable all wireless synch. I do it at least once a day for various support calls (corrupt item, duplicates etc)

Call you Help Desk and see if they can get it touch with the BES admin. It takes 2 seconds and when your done they can just re-enable to restore wireless sync.

This is really helpful for users with 2000+ contacts. Enterprise Activation chokes.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross0 View Post
on a side note, its my personal BB that I bought and hooked up to the network, bc I did not want the 8700g or the tmobile service that my firm was providing.
Doesn't really matter. The important part is who owns the BES. It's effectively their device as long as you're on their BES.

I'd also recommend the PST route.

Also, before you do anything more -- did you install Desktop Manager at home with the BES option? If so, you'll need to uninstall and then reinstall with the BIS/internet option. Otherwise you'll definitely break BES connectivity each time you sync at home.

Last edited by takeshi; 10-16-2008 at 11:04 AM..
Closed Thread