Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 12:34 AM   #1
TDM

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Koodo
Default Z10: Password (may have) reset itself + can not use keyboard

Please Login to Remove!

I have had a Z10 for the past year, and it has - so far - been great. For the last few weeks, I've had a short number-only password. A few hours ago, I went to unlock my phone and I got the wrong keyboard (alphanumeric instead of numeric). Also, instead of a message containing a password request, I have the line 'Enter "blackberry".'

To make this more difficult, my screen is partially shattered, so I can not press any of the keys on the right side of the keyboard - which includes keys that I need to type my original password or the string "blackberry".

I have had the same password for several weeks, now. As far as I know, no one else knows my password and would have changed it on me.

So far, I have downloaded blackberry link and blackberry connect to try and save all of my information before resetting my phone - but when I type in my password, it loads for a few minutes then asks me for my password again.

Is there any way to save it? I have a lot of contacts and media on my phone which are (unfortunately) not saved anywhere else.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Z10: Password (may have) reset itself + can not use keyboard

download Blackberry LINK from blackberry.com ( free) and do a backup of the phone. DO NOT try to enter anything on the screen. Once the data is downloaded to a backup file on your computer you will be able to restore the data once the phone is fixed or replaced.

The security on the blackberry allows multiple password attempts and once you get to the request for the name blackberry you only have one more try in most cases. The phone will be completely wiped of all data including your contacts.
If you have already passed the last step then nothing remains on the phone.

this is the link.

BlackBerry Link - BlackBerry 10 Smartphone to Computer Sync - Global
Old 04-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
TDM

I have downloaded blackberry link & am trying to back up my phone, but it asks me to enter my password and then leaves me with a loading message (it's been like that for a while, now).

Is the waiting period waiting for my phone to backup or is it an issue with my phone? It's been like that for about ten minutes.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Link should allow you to enter the password on the computer screen. Make sure the various fields and options are set and you see the phone. If this is a company phone the security options set by the admin may prevent you from accessing the BB via link without entering the password on the phone.

If the phone wont load try using the "backup device " button.

Failing that you may be out of luck.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

I verified the LINK software will allow you to enter the password from the computer screen and do a backup. Try a different USB port if your still not connecting.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #6
TDM

So link let me enter my password on the loading screen. I left it alone and came back 30 minutes later so I think that I was probably not waiting long enough.

But I got the message 'Try reconnecting your device to your computer. If the device doesn't respond, click Restore Device. Blackberry Link will restore your device to its factory settings by reinstalling the device software.' I tried disconnecting and reconnecting (I'm on my 3rd try now - I've tried twice with my password and once with 'blackberry').
Old 04-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

I also had a '"Try reconnecting your device to your computer. If the device doesn't respond, click Restore Device. Blackberry Link will restore your device to its factory settings by reinstalling the device software." message. I unplugged the BB then reconnected it. do not do a restore because it will wipe the BB data.
Try different USB ports and make sure Link is loaded and nothing else is running like a browser.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #8
TDM

I tried both USB ports (I'm working with a macbook air for this, so I only have two). I'll try again tonight with no other processes running, and if that doesn't work then I'll try a desktop mac and then windows.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

I do not have a MAC computer to test on and some have had problems with both desktop manager and Link using MAC's. If you have a windows computer to use I would try it next.
Closed Thread