BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
johnnyrichter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
PIN: <Status<Options
Carrier: Verizon
Default You fooled us all, Verizon. Nicely done.

Please Login to Remove!

Went in to my local Alltel store today to use the only upgrade currently available on my Alltel plan to get a newer phone...instantly noticed the Alltel store is now a Verizon store. No biggie, it was expected.

Me - "I'd like to redeem my available upgrade and get a new phone, really liking that Pearl Flip."

Alltel Customer Rep - "If you use this upgrade, you will have to pay 1200 in cancellation fees and be forced to make the switch to Verizon right now."

Me - "Huh? You're telling me I can't use MY upgrade unless I pay you over a grand???"

Him - "Yes, if you use it you automatically void your Alltel contract and have to pay us the cancellation fees for each line on that contract, and then you would have to switch to Verizon. Also, everyone on your plan will have to buy new Verizon phones, including you. Everyone on your plan will have to be here in person to get those phones, you won't be able to get them for anyone else on your plan."

Me - "Wow...keep the upgrade, I'm switching to another provider."

Does the above actually apply or was this guy just trying to take my money? The Verizon/Alltel merger promised a no-hassle merge, that we can keep our phones and our contracts and etc...now this? If this merger is forcing everyone on Alltel to switch and buy new phones, they're making a FORTUNE off of this shady business tactic.

So yeah...any other providers in the southwest missouri area that offer unlimited data so I can continue to tether to get online? No way I'm giving Verizon large sums of money just to pay a higher tethering cost than Alltel with monthly download caps. Screw that.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Are you sure you were in a Verizon CORPORATE store, and not some fly-by-night Verizon reseller?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrichter View Post
Went in to my local Alltel store today to use the only upgrade currently available on my Alltel plan to get a newer phone...instantly noticed the Alltel store is now a Verizon store. No biggie, it was expected.

Me - "I'd like to redeem my available upgrade and get a new phone, really liking that Pearl Flip."

Alltel Customer Rep - "If you use this upgrade, you will have to pay 1200 in cancellation fees and be forced to make the switch to Verizon right now."

Me - "Huh? You're telling me I can't use MY upgrade unless I pay you over a grand???"

Him - "Yes, if you use it you automatically void your Alltel contract and have to pay us the cancellation fees for each line on that contract, and then you would have to switch to Verizon. Also, everyone on your plan will have to buy new Verizon phones, including you. Everyone on your plan will have to be here in person to get those phones, you won't be able to get them for anyone else on your plan."

Me - "Wow...keep the upgrade, I'm switching to another provider."

Does the above actually apply or was this guy just trying to take my money? The Verizon/Alltel merger promised a no-hassle merge, that we can keep our phones and our contracts and etc...now this? If this merger is forcing everyone on Alltel to switch and buy new phones, they're making a FORTUNE off of this shady business tactic.

So yeah...any other providers in the southwest missouri area that offer unlimited data so I can continue to tether to get online? No way I'm giving Verizon large sums of money just to pay a higher tethering cost than Alltel with monthly download caps. Screw that.
Yup - seems to be the way it is. I did the same thing. I am just going to let the contract die and find another carrier. The only really good thing right now about being on Alltel is that their unlimited data seems to be really unlimited.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
johnnyrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
Yup - seems to be the way it is. I did the same thing. I am just going to let the contract die and find another carrier. The only really good thing right now about being on Alltel is that their unlimited data seems to be really unlimited.
Yup, it is actually unlimited. Verizon has a 5GB monthly cap, and I believe the tethering fee is more. The service being better or worse is a moot point because of this. One that tethers can easily reach that cap in a matter of days or less. I use my net mostly for gaming, e-mail and browsing...but there are times I need to download a HUGE game patch or something. Those months I will be seeing my internet cut-off until the next billing period, meaning no net during that time. What a waste considering how much I'd be paying for it.

The fact I like in a "black hole for internet" is really hurting me getting online. My only options are dial-up or tethering. I live 1-mile too far from city limits for DSL or Cable, the terrain botches the signal from a local wireless broadband provider, and satellite is out of the question because the latency completely ruins any chance of gaming. Tethering/cellular data has some latency, but it's not enough to cause any headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Are you sure you were in a Verizon CORPORATE store, and not some fly-by-night Verizon reseller?
Yes, it was an official Alltel store that is now an official Verizon store. Not one of those "Jim n' Bobs Cellular Solutions(an authorized Alltel/Verizon retailer)" stores.

Last edited by johnnyrichter; 09-12-2009 at 05:55 PM..
Old 09-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

That doesn't sound right to me. I would try another store or another rep. That just doesn't sound accurate to me
Old 09-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
johnnyrichter

He basically explained to me that I can not do anything that would normally cause my contract to be extended, because it's still an Alltel contract and they've made the switchover here already and want everyone with Alltel to either switch now, or switch upon their contract expiring.

By using that upgrade, I'm agreeing to switch my contract to verizon and have to buy all new phones since "alltell phones may not work on Verizon." If I did this, I'm basically voiding my Alltel contract and have to pay them a cancellation fee for each line on the plan. It's weird that they'll punish you and charge you so much for doing something they want you to do.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

We have a dozen or so Alltel lines that have switched to the Verizon billing system on a new Verizon account/invoice. I cannot move them to our main corporate Verizon account (for simplified billing purposes!) unless we buy all new phones and change all of their plans.

Sorry, but Verizon fail.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Flight714
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A

I'd get a second opinion. I haven't read up much on the Alltel merger, but here in the Northwest we're finishing up the Qwest transfer. Early Termination Fees are waived for the Qwest customers switching over. As far as I know, they could potentially move one line over and keep the other lines on the Qwest account until Qwest Wireless finishes the merger completely.
It may be trickier with Alltel since they're not completely merging with VZW, and a portion of them are going to stay on Alltel (due to monopoly laws). I'd check VZW's website, there should be a place where you can check to see if your phone number is listed as part of the merger or not.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
johnnyrichter

I had questioned several different reps in person and over the phone about the early termination fees being waived, they said "Absolutely not, you void your alltel contract you pay the price" which is absurd.

They're making this merger overly complicated, but for good reason...they're making a frickin' killing taking people's money for those early termination fees and new phones. They lost me as a customer.

EDIT: Found this on alltel's website...

"Can I switch to Verizon Wireless now instead of waiting until the transition period is over?
Alltel customers who switch to Verizon Wireless before the transition is complete will make a standard application for Verizon Wireless service and be subject to any Alltel terms and conditions applicable to terminations, which may include early termination fees. By switching, you will gain access to Verizon Wireless plans and the companyxxx8217;s full suite of services such as VZ Navigator, V CAST Music with Rhapsody and the robust Verizon Wireless device lineup."

"Will I need to purchase a new wireless device after the conversion?
In most cases, no. Most Alltel customers' wireless devices will work on the Verizon Wireless network after conversion. Based on wireless device testing to date, a small percentage of Alltel customers (less than 1 percent) may need to replace their wireless devices for use on the Verizon Wireless network after the conversion. These are older wireless devices that do not contain the chipset required to receive over-the-air software changes to enable the wireless device to work on the Verizon Wireless network. Customers who want to take advantage of Verizon Wireless data services, such as VZ Navigator, V CAST and others, or choose to migrate early to Verizon Wireless will need to purchase a Verizon Wireless device."

Summed up - "We're going to take over your service, shaft you like there's no tomorrow every which way we can, make this transition the most difficult thing you've ever had to endure in your life, and then re-assure you that our service rocks but is actually worse and more expensive than what you were/are getting with Alltel."

So in order to cancel my alltel contract for a verizon contract which is what Verizon wants me to do, I have to pay Verizon $200 per line because Alltel IS Verizon. Oh, don't forget that my phones will work with Verizon...BUT not with Verizon's data and extra services, so I'm going to need to buy new phones as well in order to see the full service that Verizon has to offer their customers. So $200 per line to cancel my Alltel contract which is technically a Verizon contract, X amount for new phone(s)...only to to be provided less service for more money than I had with Alltel. Wonder why they didn't just say this to begin with, it sounds so promising!

Last edited by johnnyrichter; 09-12-2009 at 08:45 PM..
Old 09-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
dumbnative

Model: 8330m
PIN: 3093D414
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (8830 thru Sprint)

Sprint is the way to go!!! Have u seen there new offer? They are the way to go... Good luck!
Old 09-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #11
johnnyrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbnative View Post

Sprint is the way to go!!! Have u seen there new offer? They are the way to go... Good luck!
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check them out.

EDIT: No go on Sprint.

1. Under a normal plan that includes unlimited data, the fine print says absolutely NO phone-as-modem usage.

2. To use phone-as-modem, I would need a mobile broadband plan...which has a 5gb/month cap.

Great, once my Alltel contract runs out I'm screwed out of a net connection. :(

Last edited by johnnyrichter; 09-13-2009 at 12:20 AM..
Old 09-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
craig3010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000, answers to HAL)

Wow. Didn't think anyone was more evil than ATT.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Which is why I have no words to describe my hate for Verizon. I hate their TOS, I hate their stupid commercials and I hate their phones. Any fool that falls for their "it the network" crap deserves what they get.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #14
OrangeBDS

Model: Alis2

For me I figured it all came down to service in your area + price you were willing to pay, this really turns me away from Verizon as it really shows their corporate dark side. I don't think AT&T would do much better if they were in the same shoes, but that could be my biased opinion as I work for them. Sprint is looking better and better each time I look their way, unfortunately I'm stuck in a contract through Verizon at the moment.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Which is why I have no words to describe my hate for Verizon. I hate their TOS, I hate their stupid commercials and I hate their phones. Any fool that falls for their "it the network" crap deserves what they get.
and att is better? or sprint? or t mobile? all cell carriers are the same evil.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #16
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
and att is better? or sprint? or t mobile? all cell carriers are the same evil.
Yes, but some are more evil then others. Verizon will always be king in my book.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #17
OrangeBDS

Model: Alis2

Mine would be AT&T, just a personal grudge from working for them I suppose.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #18
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Funny, I've seen people say the same thing about ATT. And I've never had any crap from Verizon.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #19
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

My issue right now is with Sprint and their 5GB cap on the new MiFi device. This is a device intended to be used by multiple computers/people (up to 5) and they have a cap at 5GB for a moth? Seriously?

They have an unlimited plan (for a bit more per month), but it's only unlimited if you're in a 4G speed area, which is like....where? Baltimore and Boise? C'mon, that's just bad business.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #20
dumbnative

Model: 8330m
PIN: 3093D414
Carrier: Sprint

That does suck, but u do gotta admit that their phone plans r pretty good. And now they have this new "any mobile any network" with a data plan, so for my family plan, I'm set with that.

Last edited by dumbnative; 09-13-2009 at 10:35 PM..
Closed Thread