Old 05-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
SR76

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default 8520 went into coma overnight

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

2 nights ago I turned my 8520 to the quiet profile, and put it by my bedside. Didn't wake up the next morning. I'd charged it the previous day.

I've tried the usual tricks like pulling out the battery and waiting. When I put the battery back in, I get the LED showing red for 20-30 seconds and then it goes off. No response to key press. I've taken out and put back the sim card and the memory card. Same deal.

I read on one of these forums that there could be a moisture problem and to try leaving it for a few days in a sealed container with rice to draw out the moisture. Trying that now. The little white square moisture indicator still looked white before I started, but I thought it was worth a shot.

Most devices have a hardware reset button but I've not found one on this device and there is no reference to one in the manual.

Any advice?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Is there a reason you suspect moisture?

I think you next step is to try wiping and then reinstall the device software.

See http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...ng_Jl_Cmder%3F

And http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...nnect_and_wipe.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
SR76

I left it in on the bench in the bathroom while showering (something I don't usually do) maybe 2 days before that. Wouldn't think moisture is a delayed thing but at this stage I'm trying anything.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

My guess is you would have seen symptoms such as flakey key or button response, not sudden and complete failure days later. See what others say.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
unclefester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR76 View Post
I left it in on the bench in the bathroom while showering (something I don't usually do) maybe 2 days before that. Wouldn't think moisture is a delayed thing but at this stage I'm trying anything.
That might have been it. Even the moisture in the air caused by a hot shower has harmed blackberrys before. I suggest you follow the blackberry moisture recovery sticky floating around here.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
channelcat33

Carrier: AT&T

You might want to try plugging it in and charging it even if you think it has a full battery. Mine is completely flaking out like that. I will completely charge it in the evening, unplug it before I go to bed and turn it off. When I get up, it is totally dead, absolutely no response. It has happened three or four times now. I am trying to get it resolved at the store level since it is still under warranty.

Tammy
Old 05-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
johnnyrichter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
PIN: <Status<Options
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelcat33 View Post
You might want to try plugging it in and charging it even if you think it has a full battery. Mine is completely flaking out like that. I will completely charge it in the evening, unplug it before I go to bed and turn it off. When I get up, it is totally dead, absolutely no response. It has happened three or four times now. I am trying to get it resolved at the store level since it is still under warranty.

Tammy
I just had this problem and posted a thread about it, and it sounds like the OP may have the same issue. Battery completely drained from 100% to 0% overnight with the phone completely shut off. I suppose this does seem like something that warrants a call to Verizon for a replacement.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
SR76

Thanks to everyone for your help.

It's awake now and behaving as though there was never a problem.

It woke up when I plugged it into the computer - took maybe 2-3 minutes to get past the first white screen but then booted up as normal. Battery indicator showed close to zero charge so I let it feed for a while. Puzzling as I'm sure I charged the battery the afternoon before.

Anyway the first thing I did was back up all of the files, and then to delete most of the photos, videos, music, old messages etc. I've heard that excessive memory use leads to rapid battery depletion though I don't know if this is strictly true?

I did, as a precaution, leave if in a container of rice for two days just in case it was a moisture thing but this might have been a complete red herring.

Cheers all
Closed Thread