BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #241
Dirky
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Please Login to Remove!

Where or how are the cell site locations read? Are the lat/long transmitted within the info the cell site sends out? Or is a lookup done from the cell id over the net?

It's very interesting to see the location of the nearby sites around me! One of them shows smack bang on the roof of a nearby school, which I am surprised about.

Thanks again
Mike
Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #242
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGalgano View Post
RemJ, I have been using your app on my Bold for a while and have noticed a bug (I think). It often takes me several attempts to start/stop the application before the long/lat of the cell site will come up even though I may be sitting in the same location. Also along the same issue, if I can get the long/late to come up, when I am driving, if I see the phone change to a new cell site, the long/late does not update to the new tower, it seems to be the same as the last tower. If you would like for me to do any logging, debugging, etc (you will need to tell me how), I am happy to get you more info.
A couple of things could be going on... First, for GSM sites, the cell site location is retrieved from Google based on the cell id. This requires a network connection which may be a little unstable during a handover. In Options, try setting "Cell site loc timeout" to 10 seconds or so.

Second, there are cases where the cell id will change but show the same location. Either the carrier is broadcasting 2 different cell ids from the same physical location, or Google doesn't have the correct location. If it happens all the time, then there's another problem.

Give the timeout a try and see what happens. If it doesn't help, let me know and we'll do more troubleshooting.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #243
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post
Does it only give you current locations when you open googlemaps? Or can you set it to give you realtime turn by turn location? The only way it works for me is to get my exact location by going into the program and clicking to show my location on the map. If I just try to use googlemaps normally, it will still only give a location radius of 1100 or so meters
I'm not quite sure what you're asking.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #244
CarlGalgano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyJ View Post
A couple of things could be going on... First, for GSM sites, the cell site location is retrieved from Google based on the cell id. This requires a network connection which may be a little unstable during a handover. In Options, try setting "Cell site loc timeout" to 10 seconds or so.

Second, there are cases where the cell id will change but show the same location. Either the carrier is broadcasting 2 different cell ids from the same physical location, or Google doesn't have the correct location. If it happens all the time, then there's another problem.

Give the timeout a try and see what happens. If it doesn't help, let me know and we'll do more troubleshooting.
Will do, its still a great application.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #245
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirky View Post
Where or how are the cell site locations read? Are the lat/long transmitted within the info the cell site sends out? Or is a lookup done from the cell id over the net?

It's very interesting to see the location of the nearby sites around me! One of them shows smack bang on the roof of a nearby school, which I am surprised about.

Thanks again
Mike
For CDMA networks (which isn't going to help you ) the cell site location is broadcast as part of the signal. For GSM networks, I call google with the cell site id and it returns the lat/lon of the site. How they maintain their database is a mystery.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #246
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoan View Post
Thanks for the reply. I had worked out the manual location save (hadn't had chance to repost yet).

So can view multiple locations on BBMaps; ok.

I am using a Bold (OS:4.6.0.190)

I did try the open multiple, but because I don't have BBMaps installed (using Google), it obviously won't be able to open it.

I'm loving the functionality. One question, the "write debug messages..." option, what is that used for?

I'm hoping to be able to track where I'm having call dropout issues on my carrier's network. Will it log this type of info?
Oops, sorry for the late reply. The debug option writes info to the system error log. Since it slows things down a bit, you should only turn it on if I ask.

My original intent was to help diagnose and report signal problems.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #247
Tim Jung

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nextel

I'm using the new 8350i Curve on the Nextel network. Will this utility work on this phone?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #248
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Unfortunately, this program doesn't support the Nextel network. I don't have any device to test with and the simulators aren't that great with iDEN support. Sorry.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #249
zerog6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: 30547339
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you're asking.
For example:
I open the signal-loc program, and let it read my location.
Then I go to "show current loc on map" (which I have set in the options to use googlemaps)
Googlemaps opens, and shows my current location

So my question was if googlemaps is suppose to continuously use the signal-loc program to constantly update and show your location while you're moving? Or is it only supposed to show you that one specific location when you choose the "show current loc on map"?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #250
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Ah. Now I understand.

When SignalLoc opens GoogleMaps, it's just passing in a single set of coordinates and asking GoogleMaps to view that location. While GoogleMaps is showing that location, it's also doing what it would do if you opened it from the homescreen...finding your location using the GPS and database lookups directly. It does not use SignalLoc for anything.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #251
CarlGalgano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:

Your suggestion worked perfectly. I set the timeout for 15 sec and it automatically logged about a dozen unique cell site for me this morning.

Thank you again for such a great application.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #252
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Glad to hear!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #253
x_zacherz_x

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

just a quick question... I have the blackberry storm, and your app works pretty good considering that its not made for it, but the thing that i dont get is why it wont tell me the lat and lon of ANY of my towers...
any ideas?
ps my carrier is Verizon...

ps2 haha
everything else shows up fine.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #254
clectcar

Model: 8820
Default Sending TXT or email with Lat/Lon data?

Want to be able to easily send a quick TXT or email with my Lat/Lon data. This data would be posted to a web page like location.clectar.com or clectcar.com/location
This feature will be used when running late to save a voice call.
I know this is a feature of the new Palm is there a Blackberry App?
Also the raw GPS data my 8820 from AT&T does not show altitude? Is there an altimeter application?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #255
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_zacherz_x View Post
just a quick question... I have the blackberry storm, and your app works pretty good considering that its not made for it, but the thing that i dont get is why it wont tell me the lat and lon of ANY of my towers...
any ideas?
ps my carrier is Verizon...

ps2 haha
everything else shows up fine.
Yeah, I just can't do anything with Verizon right now. Maybe someday.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #256
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clectcar View Post
Want to be able to easily send a quick TXT or email with my Lat/Lon data. This data would be posted to a web page like location.clectar.com or clectcar.com/location
This feature will be used when running late to save a voice call.
I know this is a feature of the new Palm is there a Blackberry App?
Also the raw GPS data my 8820 from AT&T does not show altitude? Is there an altimeter application?
Interesting idea. I could probably add something like this in the future.

I don't have a problem getting altitude on my 8820. Is it missing on both the main screen and the GPS Details?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #257
Andyn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T / Verizon

I keep gettiing error code on the OTA download. Can you repost correct one? Thanks!

www.twitter.com/SgtAndyNorris
Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #258
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

I just re-uploaded the file but it looks like it's still not working. I'm still checking.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #259
ninety5teg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

so guys..u need GPS to use this app right?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #260
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninety5teg View Post
so guys..u need GPS to use this app right?
Not necessarily. You can still get radio information and possibly cell site location without a gps.
Closed Thread