BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
rbellrbell
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Can a locked Blackberry 8310 be restored....

Please Login to Remove!

I ordered my son a replacement Blackberry through AT&T on 3/13/08. I still have the packing slip. For whatever reason and all of a sudden, it is now displaying above the signal meter in blue 'SOS'. 'Initialization Failed' is also displayed. When I check the carrier through connection manager, T-Mobile, not AT&T, is shown as being the servie carrier. Every thing else works - it displays the 'emergency only 911' readout. I have attempt a full systems reset - nothing!

I still have the packing slip as proof that this is a legally purchased phone. I have dealt directly with AT&T, but because it is a refurb, it is beyond aits 90-day warranty and there is nothing they can do. I only wish to know if there are any options to reset what appears to be an otherwise decent phone?

Thank you!

ReBell
Old 02-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

you got it from the ATT site and the carrier is t-mo?? because the "8310" is att exclusive in the USA. t-mo has the "8320"

first lets confirm which it is...

on your connections manager, see if there is an option for "Wi-Fi". also, look on the body of the device itself. it should have a carrier branding on the body.

if it has Wi-fi, its tmo's 8320. if not, its more than likely the 8310. if you bought it from att, there is no way it can be the 8320 though. so im really confused... post back ur findings
Old 02-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

And just what name is branded to the faceplate a the bottom front?

dankarlinski is correct on all that.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

A few things. Could just be a tower issue where you are.

Also go to Options and Mobile Network. Make sure it is set to Automatic and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbellrbell View Post
I ordered my son a replacement Blackberry through AT&T on 3/13/08. I still have the packing slip. For whatever reason and all of a sudden, it is now displaying above the signal meter in blue 'SOS'. 'Initialization Failed' is also displayed. When I check the carrier through connection manager, T-Mobile, not AT&T, is shown as being the servie carrier. Every thing else works - it displays the 'emergency only 911' readout. I have attempt a full systems reset - nothing!

I still have the packing slip as proof that this is a legally purchased phone. I have dealt directly with AT&T, but because it is a refurb, it is beyond aits 90-day warranty and there is nothing they can do. I only wish to know if there are any options to reset what appears to be an otherwise decent phone?

Thank you!

ReBell
Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
rbellrbell

Default It is branded AT&T....

it is tagged inside the battery compartment by the serial # as 'Blackberry 8310' above the bar code. Also, 'Wi-Fi' does not appear anywhere within manage connections. Thanks for your replay! ReBell
Old 02-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
rbellrbell

Default Ps....

it worked within AT&T's network. Only after it locked up, i.e., 'Initialization Failed' and 'SOS' did I discover the T-Mobiler within 'Manage Connections'. On two occasions while performing the 'full systems reset'; it did reset to AT&T - but would then switch later to T-Mobile.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I don't think that really matters -- as TroyDBrown said it could be a tower issue.

Does it exhibit this behavior regardless of location? I mean, is this only happening in one location? Do you have any other at&t devices in the same location?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

It is an ATT device. I would recommend that you swap SIM cards at a local ATT store, they will do for free. That might help you out.

Do that first... and then if the issues continue, I will recommend an OS upgrade.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

it looks to me like a tower issue as well. it would make sense, because if the phone loses connection to the primary network, itl "roam" per-say on to the next network, which happens to me tmobile. its happened to me as well.

this makes more sense now
Old 02-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
rbellrbell

Default I will return to the AT&T store....

and inquire about a new sim card and report back! Thanks for everyone's support! ReBell
Closed Thread