BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
rollotomnasi

Model: 8703e
Carrier: vzw
Default VZW 8703e - Hold & Call wait issues

Please Login to Remove!

On previous phones when I received a call during a call I had options to a) drop current call & take new call or b) put current call on hold (call waiting) and take new call or c) ignore

My options now are only a) hold current (call waiting) or b) ignore.

Additionally, the functionality seems to be a bit fishy. I've been dropped automatically into the new call (this seems to happen most often). I've ignored the new call only to find that I'm now on with the new call anyway.

WTF? I guess wait for a software update to tighten things up or does noone else have these issues?

Options were same with Sprint btw., now on VZW.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

I've never really had a problem with mistakenly picking up an incoming call when I've been on another call.... Perhaps you have auto-answer on??

While you are only presented with the option to a) hold current & answer new or b) ignore, my 'workaround' to end the current call and answer the new incoming call is to hang up on my current call, the new call rings thru and I answer that. Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
rollotomnasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb@etree
I've never really had a problem with mistakenly picking up an incoming call when I've been on another call.... Perhaps you have auto-answer on??

While you are only presented with the option to a) hold current & answer new or b) ignore, my 'workaround' to end the current call and answer the new incoming call is to hang up on my current call, the new call rings thru and I answer that. Hope this helps.
That does help (regarding 'b') - thanks. It's really annoying. I guess I should say if I were asked these questions by a user I'd say RTFM but maybe it's just coming from nextel to vzw or older bb software, I don't know. I say 'hold current' and take new call & constantly lose ability to go back to original call. wtf..

Regarding a), no auto-answer but it hasn't happened in a week now so fingers crossed.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

rollo,

Have been having the EXACT same issues. I'm in the twin cities, MN area. Also check out this thread I started about some of the weaknesses of the CDMA system.

I am actually switching back to my trusty and true Nextel 7520 tomorrow as I have had enough of it and can no longer stand using the device as heavily as I do each day.

Link -
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Is CDMA really this bad with call handling?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
rollotomnasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTaX
rollo,

Have been having the EXACT same issues. I'm in the twin cities, MN area. Also check out this thread I started about some of the weaknesses of the CDMA system.

I am actually switching back to my trusty and true Nextel 7520 tomorrow as I have had enough of it and can no longer stand using the device as heavily as I do each day.

Link -
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Is CDMA really this bad with call handling?
Thanks HaTaX - thought I was going nuts. ;)

Actually, I came from the 7520 as well. Tried Sprint first but had quite possibly the worst experience possible (no service, hobble customer service, etc etc) and switched to Vzw. Service is fantastic now.. but for $200/mo it had better be.

Read your post on Howard Forums - I loved the 7520, kept buying them on eBay & breaking them (through overuse). I had a couple issues with Nextel though - after 5 years they wanted me to sign a 2 year agreement to change plans (from incoming 400 to incoming 800 or something) - what I was paying for *my* plan was actually the same price as the new plan since Sprint merger so I didn't really appreciate that. Eventually, through many many phone calls, I was able to get them to a 1 year term. Too much hassle, I had enough. Also you cannot tether the 7520 as Nextel doesn't have the network to support it anyway.

One more thing - I was using over 6000 minutes a month with Nextel (400 out/400 bonus + free incoming/IN network/nights) and because my plan was short I would run over constantly. I was able (every single month I went over) to negotiate every single overage off the account - I never paid more than the monthly and they can go back 2-3 months. 3rd week with Verizon. I am on the phone constantly for work. I got the 4000 plan & you know what, 3 weeks I'm under 300 minutes peak. I haven't looked into how Vzw charges (1 minute for connect and ?/second increments) but I would bet good money the increments are smaller & their billing system is more accurate.

Tethering via vzw is phenomenal. It's fast, I connect every time. I tried an 'aircard' from Sprint as well as the 8703e and had mixed results with both when connecting. Vzw connects every time on first click & connects to our vpn without a hitch without fail.

I've never been a fan of Verizon but aside from what I loved about my 7520 the simple fact that this phone is on the Verizon network makes it a much (*MUCH*) more powerful tool than the 7520 could ever be.

Oh - and don't you love dealing with SMS on the 7520? I never knew who sent me messages & couldn't reply anyway.

The lack of swap/drop & connect/ignore is really frustrating but you know my girlfriend switched from Nextel at the same time & I think it may have more to do with us & how well Nextel's network handled it vs. Vzw/Sprint? Maybe I need to be trained to handle call waiting? Good god... At least that is my only complaint.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Yeah, tethering is not really a viable option on the 7520, the 7100i if it was in a WiDen coverage area may be tolerable, but not enjoyable.

I was/am on the Unlimited plan, so for $127 a month after corp discount, I get unlimited airtime, period. No overages, ever.. It was a pretty sweet plan and I wish I could keep it with me when I move to the 8800.

I hated that SMS issue, but when the 7100 launched, they launched MMS messaging for the 7520 as well and I paid the $5 a month for it, and that let me send and recieve SMS/MMS messages with no fuss and then I could tell who they were coming from.

Verizon definatly has the better network, I think the fact they're in the lower spectrucm helps them out. (850 vs 1900). I actually bought a repeater for the house for the 1900mhz band (T-Mobile user in the house as well) and it worked VERY well to get the Sprint service useable in the house. Not 5 bars everywhere in the house, but places where I would drop calls, I could now hold 1-2 bars.. Not bad for under $200.

Long story short, I'm going back to my 7520 right now based just on the call handling abilities, I'll keep putzing along on a slow blackberry and then deal with my EVDO wireless card for the laptop (Easier anyways and then I can talk and surf)

You'll really love the 8703e when 4.2 drops for it and you'll have bluetooth tethering. =)
Closed Thread