BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
psychicreader80

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint (horrible Provider)
Question 8703e upgarde to OS v4.5 - help me if u can :)

Please Login to Remove!

I absolutely hate how crappy my Blackberry performs with 4.2. Although there is not a official OS system above 4.2 .

Has anyone done an upgrade to 4.5 to their 8703e before? Can u give any hints?

Hopefully it will work and if it does I will post the information on how I did it.

Here is what I did learn if u have Vista on your PC.

If you have an Operating System version that is not designed for your phone specifically (like a beta OS) than MAKE SURE TO DELETE the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Very important!

then:Follow this

The problem lies in the new Desktop Manager's automatic "Check for Updates" feature. This feature uses your internet connection to look for OS updates for your device from your carrier. When it does this it loads a second virtual vendor.xml file in the temp folder on your computer (Vista users look in C:\Users\Username\appdata\virtualstore.) So, even after you delete the normal one that is installed with the OS and Desktop Manager, the automatic "check for updates" feature loads another one based on the brand of device you've got plugged into the PC.

To prevent this from happening this you need to install Desktop Manager WITHOUT this Automatic Update service. Below are the steps to remove this service.

1. Go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.
2. Click on "BlackBerry Desktop Software" and select "Change/Remove."
3. When prompted, hit "Next" and then you should get options for Modify, Repair, or Remove. Choose "Modify."
4. On DM 4.7 and higher, in the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update." If you are using DM 4.6 or lower and don't see this option in this list then just continue with the install and the installation will ask you a few screens later. A screen will be shown where you will be asked to check the boxes for:

A) "Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically each time the computer starts."
B) "Create a shortcut for BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the Windows Desktop."
C) "Check for software updates."

Be sure number 3, "Check for software updates," is NOT checked.

5. Finish the installation.

(Note: If you're doing a fresh install of Desktop Manager, be sure and choose the "Custom" install button so that you get the prompt for what features you want installed. Otherwise all the features will be installed as normal and you'll likely run into this issue.)

I decided to go with the closest phone to mine. I chose the OS 4.5 from the 8700 Smart phone series.

Worse case senerio, it may not work, I will just format or downgrade. LOL

Hope that helps!!!! I will keep you all posted.

-------------------------------Update-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------12/28/08

Well my post above did not work for an upgrade so now I am waiting for my device to completetly reboot after using JL_Cmder. I currently have the white screen with an error. Hopefully this will allow me to load the new OS 4.5. I am determined to get this to work on my phone even though Sprint does not offer it yet. I will continue to keep you all posted as I will be attempting the CDMA version used by Verizon for the 8330. Cant hurt. I can always restore it back to my crappy 4.2 version......

Once again I will keep you posted.

By the way: Has anyone had any luck upgrading the 8703 series to 4.5?

Is there any company that has released the 4.5 OS for that phone? Anywhere i the world?

Help a girl out!

http://freebbstuff.ning.com/
Old 12-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
psychicreader80

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint (horrible Provider)

Well it didnt work.....

http://freebbstuff.ning.com/
Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Yea, unfortunitly you can only an OS from a particular model on that model it was made for, doesn't look like their has been an official release for the 8703 yet, you may want to search for beta as your best bet. If one is out there.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

4.2.201 is the latest OS availible for the 8703. You can upgrade your OS from any carrier, but it has to be specific to your model of Blackberry. I would also be very suspicious of any beta claiming to be 4.5 for the 8703, as it didn't come from RIM.

Sorry, wish the news were better.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
jonnn21
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Us Cellular

Doesnt make sense why it exists for the 8700 and not the 8703e besides the CDMA thing
Old 02-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
dpeters11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnn21 View Post
Doesnt make sense why it exists for the 8700 and not the 8703e besides the CDMA thing
There are more differences than radio. For example, the CPU is completely different (not Intel and slower.) This could be part of the reason for no 4.5.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
coffee-turtle
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 8675309 - hi Jenny
Carrier: VZW

any word of any updates? Notoriously, VZW Blackberries are the last to get any updates for anything!! Grr!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

Yup. Tell me about it ...... VZW is always last but their phone's build qualities are superior to most other carriers, not to mention the network.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
hcheun
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Unless Sprint or Verizon releases an official OS, or some other carrier out there has it, trying to cram those different OS (i.e. 8330/8700) is NOT going to work at all, and shouldn't even be considered. As one of you said , the hardware is the main issue here why you can't just try swapping OS's from one model line to another. You're pretty much stuck with whatever OS you have, that or just simply upgrade to a new device like the 8830's and 8330's , which are coming down in price.
Closed Thread