Old 04-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
chitowner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZN
Default Battery swap killed my Storm!

Please Login to Remove!

A very strange scenario, according to several Verizon folks I've talked to, began a few days ago when I did a battery swap on my Storm1.

Now, most of us know, and the Verizon folks agree, that doing a battery pull on a Storm1 is a normal procedure. In this instance, I swapped a low battery with a fully charged one, a procedure I've done regularly in the past. The OS sustained some kind of critical fault, with a black screen/white clock alternating with a white screen/black clock several times, then halting and momentarily displaying a tiny box with the message "JVM: fault" or "JVM: Error" (something like that).

Desktop Manager would not recognize the phone, with or without the battery. I spent an hour or so on the phone with tech support at Verizon. At the Verizon store it was the same. Nothing could resurrect the phone.

Unfortunately, I had not been scrupulous with my backups, so I lost a good chunk of contact data that was unrecoverable. Verizon replaced the device with a Storm2, and the original was sent to a Verizon refurbishing center in Texas, where the first thing they do is to destroy any remaining data. No ups, no options.

Anyway, I'm just curious- anybody out there have a similar experience? Were you luckier than me? Does anyone have *REAL* knowledge on dealing with such a thing? [Please no "I think if.." kinda stuff.]

Thanks!
CT
Closed Thread