BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Does anybody care about the Storm?

Please Login to Remove!

Leading up to the (still impending in the US) launch of the Bold, the forums were absolutely buzzing about the phone. Back in July, there was a palpable buzz about when the phone would be released, the features it would have, speculation about the quality of the keyboard, etc.

I was excited about the Bold, but after reading about all of its problems and holding it in my hand, I've lost my enthusiasm and am now going to stick with my curve and wait for the Storm or Javelin (or...gulp...get an HTC Touch Pro or something).

One thing I've noticed, though, is there just doesn't seem to be much buzz on these forums about the Storm. I mean, I check back daily, and there are very few posts and the excitement level seems to be pretty low. The reviews have been mostly positive, but I sense a lot of apathy from the Blackberry community about this phone.

Maybe it's the touchscreen with no physical keyboard. Maybe it's because it's only Verizon in the US and Vodaphone in the UK. Maybe it's the lack of WiFi. I don't know.

John Clark... Jibi... JSanders... ArgonNJ... Stinsondog... Do you guys know someting that we don't???

I'm just curious as to why nobody seems to care about the Storm.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Huge interest at work....
More than the Bold right now because of the touchscreen.

I'll be skipping it.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Why? Just curious.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

I have a touchscreen device that I don't use; it's the iPhone.

I am *personally* not a Verizon customer, and we get excellent international roaming deal with T-Mobile (Verizon sometimes forgets their is a world outside of North America).

Maybe I will try it - but I am waiting for the Javelin.

We offer every BlackBerry on every carrier (except Sprint and Nextel) to our customers. Inevitably someone on my team will end up with the Storm. If just doesn't really interest me. I played with one two weeks ago.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

I got a Bold a week and a half ago and i would never trade it for my Curve back. Never. The screen is incredibly better and very snappy OS.

And there has been lots of jawing about the Storm around here, lots on the BBNew site. Every other day, there is fresh news posted.

BlackBerryNews.com
Old 11-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

I think anything a bit different is going to have a novelty factor

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Wirelessly posted (BB 8330)

I personally can't wait to try it. If its new I want it. I have been sitting on an upgrade for a few months now waiting.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I got a Bold a week and a half ago and i would never trade it for my Curve back. Never. The screen is incredibly better and very snappy OS.

And there has been lots of jawing about the Storm around here, lots on the BBNew site. Every other day, there is fresh news posted.

BlackBerryNews.com
I'm not saying that BBNews and the BBForums have been lacking in coverage of the Storm. You guys do a great job as always.

I'm just saying that I don't sense that the excitement level on the forums by the general members is anywhere near the level last summer for the Bold. The Bold boards were buzzing last summer. The Storm boards don't seem as active or as fervent.

As for the Bold v Curve, there is no question that the Bold is a much more robust device than the Curve. I just thought it was too big, I didn't like the keyboard, the flat front kind of bugged me, and the faux leather back looked cheap. Add to that the problems reported here with the OS, and I was just a little underwhelmed with the whole package.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

I also can't wait to try it. Video reviews look impressive so far. I think the seemingly lower levels of interest out there might be due to the fact that it is a Verizon exclusive in the US. If you look at how many gsm users there are, it's easy to see why a breakthrough device like the Bold would garner more chatter.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: PM and Ask

Maybe I'm not thinking too much into this, like about the whole there are more gsm users and stuff like that,.....but maybe the reason there is not as much as hype for the storm compared to the bold is probably because the Bold has been out in other countrys before US, and its been reviewed by thousands of people, and everyday, something new about it comes up on the forums, good and bad.
The storm on the other hand, hasn't came out anywhere at all, and any reviews we get are early production demos and stuff, and we can't have any say on what its doing wrong or right.

It looks like it'll be coming out on Vodafone first then in vzw, and I believe once it comes out there, more of a buzz will come out on the forums.

As far as BlackberryNews.....man!!! They've done a great job at covering, blackberry news, lol. Seriously, as far as being in the know, they have done a great job at posting updates and stuff to keep us on our toes and hoping.....just as they did and do with the Bold.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
PopeXXIII

Model: 9530

I am looking forward to the Storm. I really want to test out the touchscreen though. The big display is a huge plus. I love using my Curve for watching the Homestarrunner video podcasts and listening to internet radio. The Storm was built to have multimedia in mind!
Old 11-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
matrix2004
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 304AB5FC
Carrier: Verizon '4G COMING LATE 2009'

I've know about the Storm since February and so have many others. We have all the info we need. We've talked all we can about it. We're just waiting for it to be released.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix2004 View Post
I've know about the Storm since February and so have many others. We have all the info we need. We've talked all we can about it. We're just waiting for it to be released.
That's right!!! Your right man, we are all just waiting on its release. It'll be sweet too when it comes.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
dwood721
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A

The only thing that really keeps me from being excited is the size. I have always been a phone in the pocket guy, I don't really like clips or things hanging on my belt.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood721 View Post
The only thing that really keeps me from being excited is the size. I have always been a phone in the pocket guy, I don't really like clips or things hanging on my belt.
I hear ya dwood. But its not much thicker than the iphone, unless the iphone is to thick already for you. Not much thicker than the Bold either. I haven't handled the Storm yet myself, but there's loads of comparison photos of other phones that are out to our reach,....here at blackberry forums and crackberry.com,.....that you can go out and check the phones thickness and stuff, unless you've already done that of course.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

If the Storm is solid I might get one to replace my 8830 as I am up for replacment in January. What I will be watching for:

1. Is is solid from a software standpoint? I figure any issues will be reported in the first month of use.
2. Is the touchscreen usable? At this point the LG phones are not and some of the iPhones have problems that is being explained as a software issue.
3. Battery life.
4. How much of the phone actually works on Verizon such as the GPS, video etc?
5. What is the price for upgrade?
Old 11-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #17
annonymous1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix2004 View Post

Agreed. Theres not much a lot of us need to know about it anymore.. everyones just waiting for the high anticipated release date and price.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #18
thunderstorm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: Private
Carrier: Optus

Well I'm really looking forward to getting the Storm. I was very impressed with the iPhone's touch screen and NOW it looks like RIM have come up with a winner. No doubt RIM don't want to loose their share of the consumer market to the likes of Apple, HTC and others who are coming out with new touch handhelds. The world is going touch mad!!!

WASHINGTON POST:

Wednesday, October 29, 2008; 7:29 PM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - More and more shoppers are willing to spend on gadgets with a touchscreen -- even if it means they lose on extra features and better quality.
Touchscreen technology has been sweeping consumer electronics, leaving few devices untouched, and even digital cameras are affected.
Commonly found in monitors in airports, banks and other public places, the technology is now a staple in consumer products, thanks to Apple Inc's popular iPhone and phones by companies such as Palm Inc.
Joining them are computer desktops, calculators, MP3 players and watches that let users control functions by tapping, sliding or dragging a finger.
Earlier this year, Hewlett-Packard Co, the world's biggest computer maker, launched touchscreen PCs, signaling the trend was spreading to computers. Swiss watchmaker Tissot even has a "T-Touch" line of touchscreen watches.
Customers want touchscreen devices because they are well designed, are "cool" and have no buttons.
"Touch, being one of the five human senses, is a very intuitive way of how you interact with devices," said Francis Lee, chief executive of Synaptics, whose touchscreen technology is used in devices from Research In Motion's new BlackBerry Storm to Apple's iPhone.
In New York, taxis have touchscreen television sets that come with the message: "Touch, don't press."
Global touch-screen module revenue is forecast to grow to $6.4 billion by 2013, rising at a compound annual growth rate of 13.7 percent from 2008, according to market researcher iSuppli.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #19
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

I'm interested. I was excited about the Bold but I cant get 3g and ATT kind of stinks in AZ a lot of places. Vzn is excellent however. javelin I like too.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #20
David.Burke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 3GS
Carrier: Rogers

I'm curious to the point where I'll go check one out, but I don't have any desire to own one.
Closed Thread