PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular
Default Hands on review: "The Best Skins Ever"

Please Login to Remove!

Best Skins Ever

Hands on review by lgreenberg.
February 25th, 2006

Price as reviewed: $5.95

I was recently asked by the President of Best Skins Ever if I'd be interested in reviewing their product. I happily agreed. I'm always willing to give anything a try.

Today I received my sample of the Best Skins Ever product made specifically for the Blackberry 8700c.

The Best Skin Ever product is almost identical to the product we all know as the "Invisible Shield." (I was told that they are cut from the same material.) Now normally I'm a little turned off by products that are an exact copy but if they are done as well and cheaper I can't complain. The Best Skin Ever seems to fit this build. If someone else can make the product the same way and offer it for considerably less I'm all for it.

The Best Skins Ever come on a single sheet of white backing with three distinct sections. A screen piece, top piece and bottom piece. The screen piece does have a removable section for the ear piece.

Please note. I was sent two sets for reviewing purposes. Only one set comes in an order.

Application of the Best Skins Ever are exactly like that of the Invisible Shield and instructions are provided on a printed sheet.

For those of you unfamiliar this involves getting the back of the protector wet with a soapy solution and applying it to the device. Then removing the water trapped underneath with a credit card.

Now I must admit, applying this type of screen protector always makes me a little nervous. Water and electronic devices just don't mix. It was for this reason I struggled with the Invisible Shield. I never got the one I ordered on right and ended up having to throw it away. Most likely because I was to hesitant and didn't use enough water.

Not the case with the Best Skins Ever. I held nothing back. I removed the battery and set to work. I fully submerged the protector in the soapy water, as suggested in the instructions and than slid it on the screen. I removed the bubbles and wiped it dry. Beautiful. I applied the top and bottom protectors as well. The top piece was a bit of a fight. The rounded top makes it a little difficult to get the skin properly situated. After a few attempts I got it centered though.

Skins installed, device off.

Close Up

Top Piece

Bottom Piece

I can't yet comment on practical use over long term as I just installed the product today. But by all appearances my screen appears crystal clear. The average person would be hard pressed to notice anything installed on the screen at all. I did allow one screen piece to dry and then removed it. There was no adhesive left behind. This might be a concern for some but you need not worry.

I give my personal thumbs up to the Best Skins Ever. The product simply works. I believe it'll become my screen protector of choice from now on.

Pros: Crystal Clear Protection, three-piece protection, in-expensive.

Cons: No application solution included, water used for application offers some risk.

For more information on the Best Skins Ever check out their web site www.bestskinsever.com

Last edited by lgreenberg; 02-25-2006 at 02:42 PM..
Old 02-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
DocGo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: ask me via PM
Carrier: Rogers

Great review! I will probably buy a set to try out. I am presently using the invisibleshield full body cover but once it starts to peel of, I will try out this product.

It looks like there is no cover for the battery cover nor the sides, right?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGo
It looks like there is no cover for the battery cover nor the sides, right?
Correct.

This isn't a "full" skin. Just the front part of the device is covered.

Works good for me as I keep Egrips on the battery door of my device anyway.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
DocGo

I think it has the same material as the invisibleshield (it says so in their website). I believe the reason why they are cheaper is, they don't offer to replace it for free if you ever need that in the future (unlike the invisibleshield). Still, it is a worthy product to try. I will probably get one for my 60gb ipod as well.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
lgreenberg

Correct.

They told me it's cut from the same product that the Invisible Shield is cut from.

They also don't include the application solution, which must lower the cost a bit.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
DocGo

Great! I ordered 3 items from them...one for BB, another for Ipod Nano and my 60gb video ipod. Got free shipping because of this. Thanks for pointing out this great product (very reasonable price, I must say)
Old 03-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #7
lgreenberg

Just an update.

I heard today from "The Best Skins Ever." They have decided to release a "full" protection skin.

"This tough screen protector covers every bit of viewing real estate of your BlackBerry 8700c and includes 5 more pieces to cover the body above the screen and below the keys and the entire back side. Precision Cut for a perfect fit the first time, every time. Keep the scratch in your wallet... and off your stuff."

The best part? Only $6.99

You can have a look at it here
Old 03-01-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
saitoh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Anyone else have experience with this? I was thinking of getting a full-body invisibleshield skin for my 8700... but the price is very high.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:47 PM   #9
saitoh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

nvmd... just ordered it along with one for the PSP. Couldn't resist the price
Old 03-01-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
jisaacs
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Anybody actually using them, How do they work?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:59 PM   #11
casmer

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT

I can back up everything lgreenberg. I got a 3 piece review set as well and they are great. If the full set turns out as well as this 3 peice set, then they are well worth it, especially at that cost.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
lgreenberg

Just an update.

I received the newly updated skin today including the back piece and installed it.

I added an Egrip on top of the battery door skin for even more protection.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #13
jisaacs

I know this sounds stupid, but how easy are these things to put on. They do pose some risk with the water or is that just a common phobe. Someone please let me know got one on the way just a little scared of the whole water with the application.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #14
lgreenberg

I was a little aprehensive about installing them at first too. Once I got over it the install went very smooth.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #15
jisaacs

How did you get over it? Just do the non sensitive parts first. ie battery cover and such.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #16
lgreenberg

I guess I started with less of the soapy water mixture than needed. The skin wouldn't move around. So I kept wetting the skin more until I reached the point that it would slide around easilly. This way I knew I hadn't used too much water.

I also made sure the pushed the water away from any vital parts with a card.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:10 AM   #17
casmer

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT

And as the directions suggest, turn your phone completely off while you are applying the skins. It does seem a little scarry, but you are not submerging your phone so there really isn't that much water you are dealing with. The only way I really felt comfortable with it is that so many other people had already done it. Also, these same type of skins are used to cover tons of other electronic devices (ipods being a big one) and there haven't been any problems that I have seen reported on any of the devices. I'm sure problems can happen, but I have applied the various skins to 3 different phones now without any issues.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:35 AM   #18
oyster rsx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ?

i have recieved some from bestskins.com for my 7100i and they are like stickers, does this sound right? do these stickers need to be soaked as well?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:09 AM   #19
xkon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700R

I got mine today and they're great. The 8700 screen doesnt even look like its there! Cut very well. I did the nano first, and there are a few bubbles but by the time i did the 8700 i had it down. Compared to the PPC ones I usually cut to fit, this is great!
Old 03-09-2006, 06:01 AM   #20
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster rsx
i have recieved some from bestskins.com for my 7100i and they are like stickers, does this sound right? do these stickers need to be soaked as well?
Didn't they come with instructions?