corybarwick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Smile VZW Unlocked GPS for BB Maps

Please Login to Remove!

Just thought that I would share this with everyone:

Verizon Wireless has unlocked the GPS on the 8330 Curve and the 8130 Pearl? : Boy Genius Report (this is a hyperlink to the article btw...)

It does work without VZ Navigator (yes, I tried it). The only problem is that it doesn't give you voice activated navigation (from what I can tell... someone please correct me if I am wrong). Anyway, at least it's a step in the right direction for VZW.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

This was announced in several forums several days ago.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by corybarwick View Post
The only problem is that it doesn't give you voice activated navigation (from what I can tell... someone please correct me if I am wrong).
Um, there's no way VZW can add features to software. BB Maps doesn't have voice prompts.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
greeneink
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: TOUR

It was new to me also, quite sure alot of people have lives and don't live on these boards

Guess i'll just keep my mouth shut and stay off this board
Old 12-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

You don't have to keep your mouth shut just search the forums once and a while.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
obeythelaw
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

for those of us that like (or need) turn by turn directions, does this news do anything for us?? can i download a bb app with turn by turn directions and stop paying verizon 10 dollars a month?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Carrier: VZW Bold

Nope, no turn by turn.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
corybarwick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
for those of us that like (or need) turn by turn directions, does this news do anything for us?? can i download a bb app with turn by turn directions and stop paying verizon 10 dollars a month?
Yeah, if you want turn by turn on VZW, it looks like you will have to stay with VZ Navigator. Unfortunate...
Old 12-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
joe allen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by corybarwick View Post
Yeah, if you want turn by turn on VZW, it looks like you will have to stay with VZ Navigator. Unfortunate...
i always read the bashing of vz navigator. i have it and it has never failed me. i did a type of scavenger hunt a couple months ago with some friends. it was one of those events where each clue tells you where the location of the next clue. they had a garmin in the car. my blackberry using vz navigator was faster and more accurate than their device. my friend said that he needed to buy the updates for the maps but they were kind of expensive. i didn't ask how much.

is it just the fact that there is a monthly fee that makes people believe that it is an inferior product or are there other reasons?

"Blackberryland is a much happier place than Palmville"
Old 12-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
arieltf

Model: Z10

I have VZ Navigator and I like it. It accurately gets me to where I need to go.

It has failed me a couple of times with "new" roads. I don't know how often Verizon updates their maps, but these "new" roads have been open for a couple of months. I find it funny when I am on one of these roads and VZ Navigator says "You are not on a legal road."

--Ariel
Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
corybarwick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe allen View Post
i always read the bashing of vz navigator. i have it and it has never failed me. i did a type of scavenger hunt a couple months ago with some friends. it was one of those events where each clue tells you where the location of the next clue. they had a garmin in the car. my blackberry using vz navigator was faster and more accurate than their device. my friend said that he needed to buy the updates for the maps but they were kind of expensive. i didn't ask how much.

is it just the fact that there is a monthly fee that makes people believe that it is an inferior product or are there other reasons?
I think that's it really, that you have to pay for it. I would agree with you on the VZ Nav front as well. I like the software and have had very good luck with it, so I am not complaining about that at all. Just wish that I didn't have to pay $10 for it every month (although it's such a nominal fee but still, on principle).
Old 12-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe allen View Post

If you aren't in an area that has data, VZW navigator will be useless. It has to have a data connection to pull the maps. Worse...if you manage to get your route and get lost along it and are out of data connection, it can't reroute you.

I've tried to use it several times and I'm was not impressed at all. When I needed it most it seemed to lose connection or give bad direction. I think it's gotten better with time but at this point I'm so ticked about this whole GPS thing I wouldn't give them my $10 just because.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #13
arieltf

Model: Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
If you aren't in an area that has data, VZW navigator will be useless. It has to have a data connection to pull the maps. Worse...if you manage to get your route and get lost along it and are out of data connection, it can't reroute you.

I've tried to use it several times and I'm was not impressed at all. When I needed it most it seemed to lose connection or give bad direction. I think it's gotten better with time but at this point I'm so ticked about this whole GPS thing I wouldn't give them my $10 just because.
Isn't this true for any GPS navigation program for the Blackberry?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #14
keisur
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneink View Post
It was new to me also, quite sure alot of people have lives and don't live on these boards

Guess i'll just keep my mouth shut and stay off this board
Don't worry about it, just get thicker skin. there's always some dildo that has to act like they already knew everything. its sort of a keyboard ego issue because in real life if they disrespted people to their face they wouldn't have many friends and probably get popped in the mouth by somebody. Just don't worry about it.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:41 AM   #15
pirahna
Thumbs Must Hurt

I can't get it to work on mine, it just says: searching for satellites. no matter how long I leave it on it never finds them.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #16
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Make sure your device is on For GPS.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9

Quote:
Originally Posted by keisur View Post
Don't worry about it, just get thicker skin. there's always some dildo that has to act like they already knew everything. its sort of a keyboard ego issue because in real life if they disrespted people to their face they wouldn't have many friends and probably get popped in the mouth by somebody. Just don't worry about it.

Not really thicker skin just need to search 98 times out of a hundred if its a major carrier doing something its been posted already. Most active people here are very much in the know.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #18
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (Curve)

I personally appreciate additional post announcements, particularly when there is no sticky about it. I used to be able to check the boards daily, even several times a day. Well, life got in the way and now I get to catch up about once a week. I don't necessarily have any particular topic in mind; I just want to find out what's new or changed in general. I try to read as many posts as far back as I can and unless I am looking for a very specific topic, usually help, I don't search. So having a post announce again something that happened a few days ago is a big help to me.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #19
pirahna
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Make sure your device is on For GPS.

Yep, it is turned on. I left it on my dashboard for 6 hours the other day and when I came back it was still searching.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #20
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9

Quote:
Originally Posted by newberry52 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Curve)

I personally appreciate additional post announcements, particularly when there is no sticky about it. I used to be able to check the boards daily, even several times a day. Well, life got in the way and now I get to catch up about once a week. I don't necessarily have any particular topic in mind; I just want to find out what's new or changed in general. I try to read as many posts as far back as I can and unless I am looking for a very specific topic, usually help, I don't search. So having a post announce again something that happened a few days ago is a big help to me.
have you ever tried new posts button it works great and puts up all the latest posts since your last visit. If its a hot topic there wont be a need for a sticky it will always be at the top of the list.
Closed Thread