BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Anyone else having problems using the Priv with Bluetooth Keyboards?

Please Login to Remove!

I've loved my Priv since the day I bought it... until this summer.

Last fall, I bought a Logitech K780 Multi-Device Bluetooth Keyboard. One keyboard, equipped with both Bluetooth and Logitech's Unifying Receiver technology, that can be paired with up to 3 devices, and switch between them at the press of a button.

I paired said keyboard with my Priv, my Samsung tablet, and its own Unifying Receiver for those times when I want to use it with a PC. And it worked beautifully for about 6 months... and then, all of a sudden, my Priv decided it no longer wanted to establish a working connection with it.

I've tried so many times that I can't count them to have the Priv forget the K780, and then re-paired it with the keyboard. I tried it on all 3 buttons or "frequencies" on the keyboard. Every time, the result was the same... pairing failed and the phone couldn't establish a connection after saying pairing was complete.

So, I put in a warranty claim on the keyboard. After a couple weeks of back and forth emails with Logitech Customer Support, they FINALLY sent me a warranty replacement for a keyboard that has always worked flawlessly with every device EXCEPT the Priv, which has always worked flawlessly with every BT device EXCEPT the K780 keyboard. Today, I opened the new keyboard, put the new batteries in it, put it in pairing mode... and the same thing is happening all over again. Regardless of which of the 3 device buttons I try to pair it to, the Priv fails to complete pairing.

Months before I bought the Logitech K780, I had bought a much cheaper, Chinese made equivalent. I pulled that back out, recharged it (it uses a built-in rechargeable battery, rather than the standard AAA batteries the Logitech uses) and turned it on. The Priv STILL works flawlessly with it, while refusing to work with the much higher quality Logitech model.

At this point, it's clear the fault is with the Priv, not my keyboard, but I'm at a loss as to what, exactly, could be causing it to refuse to work with the Logitech keyboard, when literally every other Bluetooth accessory I use works flawlessly with my Priv.

So, have any of you had any similar problems with Bluetooth keyboards or accessories? If so, how did you resolve the issue?

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 08-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Anyone else having problems using the Priv with Bluetooth Keyboards?

The only thought is the paring security may be stopping the completion. Did you try totally deleting the connection profile in the PRIV? Also make sure the security is correct and your Priv password if one is used is not blocking the connection.
The weird issue is the cheap BT keyboard works well so regardless of the thought it's the Priv does not seem right, I would suggest re-doing the connection including the other devices.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Exclamation Re: Anyone else having problems using the Priv with Bluetooth Keyboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
The only thought is the paring security may be stopping the completion. Did you try totally deleting the connection profile in the PRIV? Also make sure the security is correct and your Priv password if one is used is not blocking the connection.
The weird issue is the cheap BT keyboard works well so regardless of the thought it's the Priv does not seem right, I would suggest re-doing the connection including the other devices.
Over the last month or 2, I've completely deleted (told the Priv to "forget") the Logitech K780 device, then attempted to re-pair the 2, more times than I can even remember. Whether with my original K780, or the replacement that just arrived a few days ago, the result has been the same, no matter how many times I try again. After unpairing, I've rebooted the Priv, both via soft, and hard, reboot methods. I also regularly clear my temp cache data on the Priv, to maximize the phone's performance.

I went digging through my phone, looking for any and all Bluetooth settings that I could change, to see if there was a way to more thoroughly delete its memory of that pairing. I haven't found any security settings or anything else that I could change that would help. So if you have specific advice for specific settings I should go to and look at, please post detailed instructions here.

This whole thing began because one day, when I turned the K780 on, it wouldn't connect to my Priv, whereas it always had before. So, I tried deleting it and then re-pairing it, a process which has failed ever since, regardless of which of the 3 device buttons I try to pair it with. So, at this point, I'm unwilling to even unpair and then re-pair any of my other Bluetooth devices, for fear that the same thing might happen again.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Default Re: Anyone else having problems using the Priv with Bluetooth Keyboards?

Ok, Have you updated either the keyboard or Priv software? It may be a problem caused by the new OS in either. Also any new apps added? It is very common for interference when the app developers don't test properly. Seems "get it to market" has become a standard.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Ok, Have you updated either the keyboard or Priv software? It may be a problem caused by the new OS in either. Also any new apps added? It is very common for interference when the app developers don't test properly. Seems "get it to market" has become a standard.
On the keyboard, the only software updates that I've ever gotten for it are on the software package for Windows that allows you to customize its settings. There's no equivalent software for Android that I'm aware of.

As for the Priv, naturally, I download and install OS updates, as well as Play Store App updates, whenever they become available. But given that this has been going on for roughly 2 months, there's no telling which update may have borked something.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Sadly the updates on todays software cause all kind of issues and the vendors normally point the finger to the other guy. Recent Windows 10 updates killed a lot of apps until Microsoft put out another update.
At this point all you can do is hope future updates on either the keyboard or PC fix the issue...at least for a while.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #7
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Thumbs down Re: Anyone else having problems using the Priv with Bluetooth Keyboards?

Quote:
At this point all you can do is hope future updates on either the keyboard or PC fix the issue...at least for a while.
Since the most likely culprit seems to be the BlackBerry Priv, it would have to be an update for that. But after a month or 2 of trying in vain to get it successfully re-paired, unless someone here can give me a setting in the Priv that I can check, and change if necessary, I don't know when or even IF I'll bother wasting my time to try again. I spent $60 for an excellent external Bluetooth keyboard, and now I can't even use it with my BlackBerry Priv like I wanted to. Totally bogus.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

I will look around a few other support sites and see if I can find anything. If I do I will post it.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok , Making a few calls to people who like BT keyboards, I asked about the Logitech keyboard and they pointed me to the support site. Apparently they found some issues with the phone being too close and a few other issues. You may have already seen this site.

K780 keyboard does not work or loses connection frequently
Old 08-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #10
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Exclamation Re: Anyone else having problems using the Priv with Bluetooth Keyboards?

Quote:
Ok , Making a few calls to people who like BT keyboards, I asked about the Logitech keyboard and they pointed me to the support site. Apparently they found some issues with the phone being too close and a few other issues. You may have already seen this site.

K780 keyboard does not work or loses connection frequently
I might try again with the replacement keyboard they sent. But the most likely culprit still seems to be an update the PRIV received, because it was working fine with the K780 from the time I bought it, until a couple months ago. This week I ran across a reference to some newer versions of Android having some Bluetooth issues and that only made it seem more likely to be something caused by an update.

The worst part is that I've had this phone since January 2016, so I'm no longer within BlackBerry's 12 months of free tech support.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
tsac
BlackBerry God

Hope you get it working. Sadly developers are not testing and the result is all kinds of interaction failures.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #12
indakitai

Model: 7100T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: no

I do not want to turn on bluetooth. What kind of trouble?
Old 08-30-2017, 09:24 PM   #13
tsac
BlackBerry God

None if you don't need it. I have mine turned off.
It can be turned on anytime you do need it.
Closed Thread