mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
What do we evolve into next? John Clark?
Natural selection will get us there Lunk!
Old 01-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #22
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post
since this has nothing to do with the president any more then i'm going to put this out there.

it baffles me that people discredit ancient greek stories of mount olympus as myth and then take something like genesis as fact. the bible is as much fairy tale as is the tales of the roman gods and godesses or the lord of the rings stuff. there its out there.

thank zeus i live in a country that allows me free thought.
exactly, Christianity / Judaism / Islam comes 100% from written history and traditions. Ancient Greek religions and myths are based on 100% written / oral history, yet they are viewed as fairy tales & myths only.

Although, I do hear from many non-westerners that the main religions do sound like fairy tales.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #23
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I have nver said that anient greek or roam texts are false I think they all blend together to prove the truth.

Same as science it documented history but they cant connect the past The Bible does in deed connect the past.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #24
test54
BlackBerry Master

I agree the Bible does connect the past, it mentions rulers and cities that did indeed exist. I think the point dmead and I were stating was that both Greek & Roman religions have the same such connections with the past.
Most of the world's religions talk of a flood that covered the world, often these are religions that are older than Christianity or Judaism as well. the connection to the past is something that does not by itself prove anything, faith is required. although faith is required for everything and every belief.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #25
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint

the bible connects the past "if" you buy into it. I personally don't. the same is true of ancient greek and roman texts.

I buy into some of the names and places mentioned in the old testament because science has found them or their final resting spots. Let's take King Herod for example. the man was real. this is well documented outside of the bible. he built tons of infrascructure in Israel. Howver the only documentation of him giving orders to kill all the infants under 2 is in the book of Matthew. None of the other testaments of Jesus (Mark, Luke John) make mention of this. There are no records outside of the bible that give any evidence to back this claim. Based on this I make my mind up that this is false or misinterpreted information. Perhaps the real story is lost in time and the many translations that have been done since those books were writen 100 - 200 years after the death of Christ.

just my .025 worth.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #26
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Dmead I went to a class one time that the instructor told the first person in the row a secret he was to inturn pass it around the room from one person to the next. By the time it passed through 30 men the story has completely changed. The main frame of the story was the same but the details changed. Each part of the four books tell a different perspective.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #27
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Ok, we've gotten a little off topic. So what is everyone's opinion on teaching creationism or it's identical twin, intelligent design in public schools? Should it be taught in science class?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #28
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Certainly.

If not, you are ignoring major truths.

I love it how the left loves to censor and ban teaching of certain ideas in our schools, just because they don't understand or even agree with them.

So naughty of you.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #29
dmead

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint

look, i don't think creationism should be taught in public school. if you want creationism or it's red-headed stepchild intellegent design taught to your children then you can send them to a christian school.

oops. you can't afford to send them to private school? i'm sorry then take them to church then. it doesn't belong in public school.

evolution however has scientific backing. just look at the Dodo bird. it evolved into extinction because it was too slow and dumb to outrun or outsmart it's predator.

please keep your hyprocricy out of my schools. and that is aimed at the entire christian right, not anyone here at this board.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #30
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
Ok, we've gotten a little off topic. So what is everyone's opinion on teaching creationism or it's identical twin, intelligent design in public schools? Should it be taught in science class?
Should it be taught in schools? Yes
Should it be taught in science class? No, humanities

Should it be optional or required? Optional
Old 01-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #31
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
I think the bigger issue, when you get right down to it - is whether evolution should be taught as fact, or as THE theory, to the exclusion of any other possibilities. I think the biggest reason for the ongoing fight is because the way evolution is generally taught, part of what's taught is "your religious beliefs are wrong and false."
Old 01-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #32
test54
BlackBerry Master

I'm for all ideas to be discussed and let kids and parents decide what they should believe. Same for all aspects of education such as sex ed. (not to thread jack).
Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #33
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
look, i don't think creationism should be taught in public school. if you want creationism or it's red-headed stepchild intellegent design taught to your children then you can send them to a christian school.

oops. you can't afford to send them to private school? i'm sorry then take them to church then. it doesn't belong in public school.

evolution however has scientific backing. just look at the Dodo bird. it evolved into extinction because it was too slow and dumb to outrun or outsmart it's predator.

please keep your hyprocricy out of my schools. and that is aimed at the entire christian right, not anyone here at this board.

Well I dont want my children taught evolution but its forced down their throats every year. Keep your hyprocricy out of schools as well. That way I dont have to tell my sons that their science teacher is an idiot.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #34
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
I think the bigger issue, when you get right down to it - is whether evolution should be taught as fact, or as THE theory, to the exclusion of any other possibilities. I think the biggest reason for the ongoing fight is because the way evolution is generally taught, part of what's taught is "your religious beliefs are wrong and false."
I think that's exactly how it's taught now. As THE theory. And were talking about how forms evolve, not if they evolve. I think everyone agrees that evolution occurs. I don't know how it's being taught. I think those proponants (think Ben Stein) of ID like to say that the idea of how forms evolve is being shoved down kids throat, but I don't think that's the case. If there are alternative theories (and I'm talking about ideas that are advanced to a scientific theory) then by all means teach them. But there are no other explanations that can stand up to the scrutiny that the theory of evolution has withstood. If there are, enlighten me.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #35
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

Fascinating
Old 01-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #36
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
I'm for all ideas to be discussed and let kids and parents decide what they should believe. Same for all aspects of education such as sex ed. (not to thread jack).
So if a teacher truly believed that an alien came to earth 10,000 years ago and created life, do you think they should be allowed to teach that to their students? What is this 'teach all ideas' stuff? I just don't understand it. Why shouldn't we teach what is supported by science in the science classroom?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #37
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Wirelessly posted

Fascinating
It is isn't it?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #38
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Certainly.

If not, you are ignoring major truths.
Ok, what major thruths are being ignored?
Old 01-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #39
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
So if a teacher truly believed that an alien came to earth 10,000 years ago and created life, do you think they should be allowed to teach that to their students? What is this 'teach all ideas' stuff? I just don't understand it. Why shouldn't we teach what is supported by science in the science classroom?
well ok, accepted ideas. i guess I meant the big three described here. I do think evolution science should be taught as just that, it has evidence to back it up so teach about the evidence and the theory that fills in the gaps. The other two should be taught as alternatives. Thats what I mean by teach all ideas. Exposing people to all viewpoints and ideas generally pays off in my opinion.

so were you talking of a scientologist creation story? if so then no it should not be taught.

Last edited by test54; 01-23-2009 at 11:03 PM..
Old 01-24-2009, 12:23 AM   #40
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
ahhhh, tolerance at its best.

The fact that those you are who are so closed-minded and unenlightened wish also to control what is taught is really disgusting.
Closed Thread