Old 05-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
ultraspaz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Unhappy 3rd 9700 on the way. UMA this time

Please Login to Remove!

Due to problems with UMA this time, I'm waiting for another new 9700. Downloads, and streaming were so slow I found myself shutting off Wifi and going to 3G (when that works so don't get me started) and more often to EDGE. Downloading over UMA reminded me of downloading games on my Commodore 64 over a 1200 baud modem (ask your grandparents if your too young to remember). Streaming video or audio was filled with buffering and pauses and therefore unbearable.

Based on some forum posts and and TMO support suggestions I tried a new SIM card. All that got me was a permanent Voicemail waiting icon notification (known issue TMO says) I updated to 5.0.0.586. That didn't fix either the UMA issue or the stuck voicemail icon. To check my WiFi router I download identical hi res photos at the same time from my 9700 and my gf's 8120, both on UMA mode. Her little 8120 downloaded the photos first every time with up to 2 min. difference at times.

Sorry if this seemed like a rant. Just wanted to see if others had this problem. I've seen some forum posts complaining of UMA problems but wasn't sure how bad this problem was with other owners.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
jw8725
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Orange

my UMA is slow, I called Orange and they said it was my Router! Some Routers dont work so well with the BB. I use a D-Link.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
ultraspaz

That may be my next step if the replacement Bold 9700 is still having problems. I'm using a Netgear 802.11 N router that worked great with my 8900 and girlfriends 8120 but not with the current Bold. I seem to have a little bit better luck with 802.11 G only mode though its a waste to not use the 802.11 N speed on my laptops. Are you using G, N or auto select on your Dlink?
Old 06-02-2010, 04:11 AM   #4
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: orange

I gave up on UMA after my 3rd handset. The phone randomly does a hard reboot when connected to a wifi network via UMA
Old 06-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
ultraspaz

Received my new Bold and it is blazing fast on UMA. Since I have loaded all the same Apps on the new 9700 that I had on the old Bold I have to assume it may be a hardware problem in my case.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

I used an 8820 before and now the 9700 with wifi at home and all over the place when traveling. I've not had a problem. Well, when I've rarely had a problem at home with slow throughput or dropping connection, rebooting the router was the solution.

I'm not saying there isn't some cases of incompatability, because I really don't know. But, just my experience, if you are having trouble, go back over everything with your setup very carefully with the strong belief that you have messed up somewhere. In my experience I really would tend to think that's the problem and not the device.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
ultraspaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

I used an 8820 before and now the 9700 with wifi at home and all over the place when traveling. I've not had a problem. Well, when I've rarely had a problem at home with slow throughput or dropping connection, rebooting the router was the solution.

I'm not saying there isn't some cases of incompatability, because I really don't know. But, just my experience, if you are having trouble, go back over everything with your setup very carefully with the strong belief that you have messed up somewhere. In my experience I really would tend to think that's the problem and not the device.

Like I said, In my case I had to assume it was a hardware problem since I made every attempt to isolate the problem elsewhere

Namely:

-UMA on same router tested successfully on 2 other devices
-Device wiped and reloaded with latest OS
-Router rebooted and loaded with latest updates
-tested on other routers
-router tested under different security protocols
-device tested without aftermarket software
-new SIM card

I'd say that's setting up very carefully thinking I may have messed something up.

It was actually after I went to TMO support and they gave up that I got the new phone that works perfectly with UMA. The purpose of my original post was to see if this was an isolated incident (which it appears to be) or a possibly wider spread hardware/software problem which it appears not to be.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraspaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

Like I said, In my case I had to assume it was a hardware problem since I made every attempt to isolate the problem elsewhere

Namely:

-UMA on same router tested successfully on 2 other devices
-Device wiped and reloaded with latest OS
-Router rebooted and loaded with latest updates
-tested on other routers
-router tested under different security protocols
-device tested without aftermarket software
-new SIM card

I'd say that's setting up very carefully thinking I may have messed something up.

It was actually after I went to TMO support and they gave up that I got the new phone that works perfectly with UMA. The purpose of my original post was to see if this was an isolated incident (which it appears to be) or a possibly wider spread hardware/software problem which it appears not to be.
I understand. I was prompted to post by the reponse above yours.