UndergroundWire
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko215 View Post
Spoke too early yesterday. I full powered down the unit last night and this morning try to power the unit back and stuck on Verizon logo and had to do a battery pull.

app installed.
Talk Lock
VZ Nav
Same issue here. They didn't fix it from .83.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:31 AM   #62
Caliboyxxx

Model: 9830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default I have it..

Im Not fully pleased with the new os.. its still pretty buggy... mainly im having problems with the backlight. and sometimes it wil like get realy slow and when i try to power down it just shows that littel dialog box shaying hit any key to stop shutting down... over all i think that RIM should focus more on getting rid of bugs and speeding up processes, than adding features that are useless.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:42 AM   #63
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Ditto as above...

The Verizon screen of death and media card inserted issue on both Storms...

Rolled back to .75

Kris
Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 AM   #64
UndergroundWire

PIN: Ask Me

Overall the benefits out way the quirks with this release. I am keeping .85.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #65
slugzkea

Carrier: Protection Services Officer
Exclamation Heat and battery

Keep an eye on the heat and battery usage. I rolled back to .76 and i'm not getting the same battery life as when i first had .76 on my device.

My Storm gets very very warm at all times too, I think some stuff (configurations) were left over and thus, it wasn't a clean re-install of .76 because it's still performing like .85

going to attempt another clean whipe, removing all user settings this time.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #66
datboi305
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 216e8182
Carrier: tmobile

i finally got .85 working with the browser and everything !!!!!!!!!! had to use crackutil to remove and add the file but i got it done. a big thanks to pltaylor
Old 12-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #67
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Ditto as above...

The Verizon screen of death and media card inserted issue on both Storms...

Rolled back to .75

Kris

yup.. I have this issue on both .83 and .85
Old 12-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #68
gecko215

Carrier: Vzw and ATT-Bis
Default .85 Fresh install

When I did the original .85 upgarde, I used Dm to do the upgrade and restore and unit was lagging all day yesterday.

This morning I decided to do the following:
1. Back up the device
2. Complete wipe the unit using Jl_Cmdr
3. Uninstall all device software using add/remove program (windows)
4. Re-Install the device software .85 and leave Vendor.xml as is
5. Use Apploader.exe to reinstall to device
6. Use advance setting on DM to restore only contacts, BBMessenger, memo, task and no other old settings/configuration.

So far the unit is much more responsive than my previous install of the .85 and device restore.
The reason I took this approach is to avoid any setting that might have been inherent from old O/S when I did the upgrade from .76 to .85
Old 12-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #69
slugzkea

Thumbs up re-installed .85, very good!

According to another .85 Thread, .85 is a very good release. It just depends on how you wipe and flash your Storm.

One person flashed it 100% successfully with no problems. I fallowed his steps and this is what I did.

If you are experiencing increased heat, very poor battery life and overall instability, UNINSTALL .85 NOW before it permanently damages your device.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Uninstalled all BlackBerry Software, including the option "remove all user settings".
2. went to the directory c:\program files\common files and deleted any blackberry or research in motion left overs.
3. went to directory c:\program files and deleted any blackberry or research in motion left overs.
4. Rebooted PC
5. Installed .85 package
6. used JL_Cmder and did a clean whipe on 70% battery power (100% recommended)
7. went to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and deleted the vendor.xml file

8. Now to install the firmware properly, I fallowed the steps from This Thread.

9. Once that finished, I then installed Desktop Manager Software 4.7. Got the 1904 error.

10. Rebooted PC
11. Fallowed steps in This Thread to fix the 1904 error and register DLL's manually.
12. Rebooted PC
13 hookup the Storm to Desktop Manager and restore your backup config, if you have one!

And your done! device is now working 100%. awesome battery life, good speed, no signs of over heating or any of that nonsense.

Last edited by slugzkea; 12-30-2008 at 02:51 PM..
Old 12-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #70
gecko215

Carrier: Vzw and ATT-Bis

slugzkea,
It's been almost 8 hrs after I did a clean install and have not had any issue at all except for the following:
1. Memory is down to 39.3 MB, was about 49MB. And all I did today is just phone calls
and music from SD Card.
2. Cannot confirmed on stuck Vzw logo after full power down and I will try this tonight.

Other than that everything seem to be fine.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #71
rpjohs

So far no issues, have had it running for about 72 hours now. Still having the camera lag though.

Something I noticed and I am not sure if it is related to .85 or something else I have done, but when locking my phone, and trying to unlock it, instead of the menu box appearing with the 3 options (Unlock, Emergency Call, Cancel), a box appears that says "Screen is locked. Press the Lock button to Unlock."

Anyone notice this or know how to get the menu popup to come back?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #72
jskolm85
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjohs View Post
So far no issues, have had it running for about 72 hours now. Still having the camera lag though.

Something I noticed and I am not sure if it is related to .85 or something else I have done, but when locking my phone, and trying to unlock it, instead of the menu box appearing with the 3 options (Unlock, Emergency Call, Cancel), a box appears that says "Screen is locked. Press the Lock button to Unlock."

Anyone notice this or know how to get the menu popup to come back?
I have this now too... and it started in the .83 release for me and followed into the .85 release. I think they changed something. But you have to hit the lock button on the top of the BB... and then I only sometimes get the box with three options... otherwise it goes straight to the enter my password screen.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #73
DeadRinga
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

When I lock the screen (.85) the screen eventually goes dark and I cannot bring up the screen backlight again unless I hit the lock/unlock button.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #74
rpjohs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskolm85 View Post
I have this now too... and it started in the .83 release for me and followed into the .85 release. I think they changed something. But you have to hit the lock button on the top of the BB... and then I only sometimes get the box with three options... otherwise it goes straight to the enter my password screen.
I figured it out. If you hit the four real buttons on the bottom, the menu box appears. If you just click the screen, the other info regarding the screen being locked appears. Just an f.y.i.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #75
misterbulldog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I installed .85 last night and my Storm is having issues. Changing from portrait to landscape is very slow.... if it works at all. Scrolling through the icons on the main screen is slow. It is very sluggish when I perform almost any action. I'll go home this evening and wipe it with JL Commander and then reinstall. Seems most others like the new upgrade. Hopefully its just me.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #76
slugzkea

Default Lock Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskolm85 View Post
I had this problem in .83 as well. I found that if you hold the lock key, that can work.

Holding the hangup button for a second or two, and pressing the lock button worked as well.

Or the call button and lock button as well, just mashing those 3 worked for me. Quite an annoying bug, but I have no experienced this in .85
Old 12-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #77
StuartV

Model: 9550

I upgraded from .83 to .85 last night. The upgrade went with no problems.

The phone was acting weird later last night, so I did a battery pull. Then it got stuck on the Verizon screen. I did another battery pull and it came back to life with no problem.

I don't notice any difference with the time switching between portrait and landscape.

The issue where Sounds/Tones/Alerts is ignored is still there.
Verizon 9550
Old 12-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #78
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 304AEE5F
Carrier: VZW

I have had .85 installed for about 3-4 days now via full wipe using JL_CMDer and the Apploader no DM (wasn't being read by my folks' computer) with the following apps:

Nintaii, crash nitro racing, majong, softreset, arise alerts, sms display on, Vymail, gmaps, viigo, flickr, and myspace.

The only problems I've had is while on low battery the phone seems to stop functioning propeyly; the touch sensitivity is greatly reduced and the heavy data based apps stop working. A continuous problem is an APP ERRORwhile playing Nintaii.

I had the vzw loader screen and media card issue once and after a battery pull it didn't happen again.

I am noticing no improvement on battery life and certianly still reduced signal strength while indoors vs. .75 (roll over from .83).

Improvements made (that hve yet to be mentioned): better Key Rate sensitivity with better customizable options. Hover sensitivity improved, tap sensitivity still the same.

Video playback has been improved along with sync from media card to phone.

No memory improvement, but there is improved graphic rendering.

Still haven't addressed the lag issues when selecting an item landscape and then switching back to portrait or dialer functionality in landscape.

Locks screen and doesn't allow for accidental unlock by limiting screen options when accidentally clicked.

Improves media browsing and browser speeds (only slightly).

That's all from me!

Again: always, its recommended to do a full wipe when messing around with beta releases!

7105t>8320>9530 whats a curve?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #79
misterbulldog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbulldog View Post
I installed .85 last night and my Storm is having issues. Changing from portrait to landscape is very slow.... if it works at all. Scrolling through the icons on the main screen is slow. It is very sluggish when I perform almost any action. I'll go home this evening and wipe it with JL Commander and then reinstall. Seems most others like the new upgrade. Hopefully its just me.
Last night I wiped my Storm with JL Commander then reloaded the OS. Played with it for a few minutes then restored my data. So far, so good.

I also bought an OEM 8830 leather case through one of the $mazon.com vendors (7$) and it works fine. There were to many times where I forgot I had my Storm in my shirt pocket.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:06 PM   #80
slugzkea

Default New Bug

New Bug:

Putting the Phone back into the leather pouch terminates live calls.

does not happen with .76
Closed Thread