Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
applauz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: iPhon
Carrier: Rogers
Angry RIM's Support Regarding the PowerButton

Please Login to Remove!

So I have 2 PlayBook's. One broke and had to be sent in for repair.

When it came back the PowerButton is now raised. My other PlayBook has a Power Button that is so recessed that you can't turn it on without long finger nails.

So I emailed them and asked if my recessed version could be sent it to be repaired to have the same Power Button as the one they sent back.

The response I got from them was that it was designed to be recessed intentionally so users wouldnt accidentally turn on / off their PlayBook.

So ... does that means the one they sent me with the button raised is a defect ?

Which one is it RIM ?

This is why this company is failing. They refuse to admit any mistakes and are delusional in thinking their devices are cutting edge.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: tmo
Default Re: RIM's Support Regarding the PowerButton

the flush button was the initial design; they got a lot of crap from reviews so they're switching to the easier to push version.

making the change when it's being repaired is easier than doing a recall.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Canada

Now that you can touch the battery level icon to restart/switch off/put to sleep the Playbook, I haven't had to hit the actual power button since my initial few days with the gadget. You _are_ aware of this, aren't you?
Old 07-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Joe1004
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: t of ale anyone?
Carrier: VZW

I've had mine for a week and I've only used the power button twice. I see no need to raise it since they put the shutown, standby, restart on the battery icon.

And I have to ask this... Why in the heck does everyone think RIM is failing? I just don't get it. They are flush with cash, have no long term debt, and continue to crank out profit (albeit at a level that is not acceptable to the pundits). Yes, they are losing market share to both Apple and Android devices, but, just as Apple did, IBM did, and other companies have done, they will re-adjust and very likely trounce the competition.

My household is 2 Blackberries, 2 Androids, and 1 iPhone. I can tell you right now I will keep my Blackberry. The other ones ARE nice and have some VERY cool features, but while two of us go days or weeks without ever even power cycling our 9650s, the android devices are a two or three times a day re-boot with flaky stuff going on all the time. The iPhone is more solid, but I would certainly not call it a RIM killer.

Lastly, after a lot of decision time and playing around with both an iPad 2, a Xoom and a Playbook, I bought my playbook last week. As far as I am concerned, this device is living proof that RIM knows what is going on. Yes, they made an error in not driving phones to run QNX as soon as possible, and they freely admit that. RIM knows what they are up against and will definitely launch new devices that are solid and feature packed.

I would put my Playbook up against any tablet. The apps will come. And I don't need a "booger flicking" app. I need real apps and not that many of them. Most of them are already there. In fact, give me a Nook app and I will be in Tablet heaven. The form factor and hardware of the Playbook are superior to others (IMHO) and it will be very successful as it matures.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Ade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Tmobile

i dont see any reason to touch the button except if i was turning it on... thanks to the update a while back.. and besides the button is not as difficult has people claim... i dont have long finger nails... i actually use my finger.. if u hold it down for a couple seconds it comes on... people just like to complain for no reason
Old 07-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Oh, joe, you should not feed the trolls.

The answer to why RIM is failing and will be out of business soon, or bought up, or sold for parts is that it just is. Everyone who knows anything knows it. Those who say it isn't are just in denial, or else because they are happy with their BlackBerry they think the company must be doing fine. And those who are happy with their BlackBerry just don't know any better because they haven't used anything else. And those who have tried iOS or android and still are happy with their BlackBerry probably eat dirt and bark at the moon too. Got it?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I howl at the moon. Is that the same?
Old 07-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wait and see what the cognoscenti declare.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
geoffa

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

blackberry needs a button to power cycle their business model. maybe that would help.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Did your first one break by letting your 2 year old throw it around and slap it?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 07-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
Joe1004

Model: Z10
PIN: t of ale anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Oh, joe, you should not feed the trolls.

The answer to why RIM is failing and will be out of business soon, or bought up, or sold for parts is that it just is. Everyone who knows anything knows it. Those who say it isn't are just in denial, or else because they are happy with their BlackBerry they think the company must be doing fine. And those who are happy with their BlackBerry just don't know any better because they haven't used anything else. And those who have tried iOS or android and still are happy with their BlackBerry probably eat dirt and bark at the moon too. Got it?
Thank you for bringing clarity to my foggy and un-educated view of the mobile world. This made me laugh.

What I find most interesting is the sudden number of users of competing devices trolling this forum within the last couple of months. Used to be just Berry users. Now we have Android and iPhone users lurking around and beating us up.

Is that like a little kid saying "Well yeah my device needs to be rebooted every day but YOURS doesn't play angry birds! So HA!!!"

OMG. Making myself laugh.

And... I clearly eat dirt AND bark at the moon. And crazy old me just bought RIMM stock the other day. How's that for CRAZY??

Last edited by Joe1004; 07-06-2011 at 01:19 PM..
Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
Ade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1004 View Post

What I find most interesting is the sudden number of users of competing devices trolling this forum within the last couple of months. Used to be just Berry users. Now we have Android and iPhone users lurking around and beating us up.

Is that like a little kid saying "Well yeah my device needs to be rebooted every day but YOURS doesn't play angry birds! So HA!!!"

OMG. Making myself laugh.

?
I noticed that as well. so many Rim bashers have signed up lately. dont yall have anything better to do.. its called blackberry forum.. aint there any iphone or adroid forums to go to..
Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
fourstringfuror
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Q10

If RIM is failing, why did you buy a Playbook?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #14
whatsanipad
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: PB
Carrier: verizon

It is premature to say BB is failing, or being sold for parts, or about to be crushed by a meteor on direct path to their headquarters...however: Their once leadership position in smart phones is being challenged in a big way; their leadership position in business is being challenged and may soon be challenged in a big way; and the PB, a (perhaps, perhaps not) critical market expansion is not going well. Yes, I like the PB, yes I own the PB, due in no small part to their creativity in the product...which is still not yet mature (not because of angry birds, but real omissions that are important to me, and lots of other potential purchasers).
Lots of cash, devoted customers and solid business penetration does not continued success make: Ask Wang, WordStar, Control Data Corp and Lotus Corp...all of whom at one time could boast of all three and all of whom are no longer with us.
I want BB to succeed....the PB is the only product of theirs I own, and I personally want to see a world powered by more than Android/Apple/Windows devices and I spent $600 of my own money to put my money where my mouth is.
However, if I am traveling light, the PB is not yet mature enough to be my go-to device....I have to rely on the Xoom.

Last edited by whatsanipad; 07-07-2011 at 12:04 AM..
Old 07-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
Ade
Thumbs Must Hurt

what can the zoom do that you cant do on the bb, please dont say apps, there gotta be more to this device than apps... i dont know what you do.. but really how many apps can you use..
Old 08-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #16
rhamppy

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

how did it go from being about a power button to RIM crashing and burning. Because of time lag it seams like the power button is not working. press and hold and be patient. Or you can just plug it in, viola it comes on. the battry icon is answer to all other power function
Old 08-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
ubizmo

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

I use a golf tee to press and hold the power button. Using a fingernail, I just can't be sure that I've actually pressed it.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #18
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

I have not hit the power button in months, then again I have not turned it off either.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #19
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

It has a power button? Oh, yes there iti is, now I remember.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #20
ZombieBerry

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

I use the Otter defender, there are no Power Button issues, of course I felt the same way since I got my PB. MY button is flushed as well. There are a number of fixes for it, up to and including fashioning a Polyurethane plug that rests on the PB and makes it easier to press it.