Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
peter_b
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default Delivery confirmation on BES

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings,

My employer is looking to deploy BB's to our engineer workforce. We're currently running the Blackberry Professional version of BES and will probably stay on that indefinitely as we have less than 10 people in the company who would be using a BB.

The key justification he came up with for this would be the ability to know if an e-mail had been delivered to their device. I.E. on the weekend or after hours, he would like to be able to send an e-mail on a "hot" issue and know that it's been delivered to the device.

From my testing it appears that if Outlook is open somewhere, that will send the first (and only) delivery confirmation message. If no other mail clients get the message first, then the BB will send the DC message itself as expected.

As I don't really see a way to change the above behavior, is there a way to look "inside" the BES to see when an individual message was delivered to the device? I can, of course, see if messages are pending and when the last contact time was with the device. What we're looking for is a way to see on Monday whether a message was delivered on Saturday evening (for instance).

Contrary to what the above might imply, it's actually a really laid back environment here. The downside to that it that sometimes our employees take it for granted that they can blow stuff off with no repercussions.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. I've searched around the forums, but most of the results are BIS specific.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

When sending an email to a BlackBerry user, if you put <confirm> right before the subject in the subject line, you'll get a delivery confirmation once the message hits the user's device.

Last edited by penguin3107; 08-22-2008 at 10:32 AM..
Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
peter_b
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
When sending an email to a BlackBerry user, if you put <confirm> right before the subject in the subject line, you'll get a delivery confirmation once the message hits the user's device.
Thank you very much. That is such an easy solution and I can't believe i've been using & supporting BB's for ~ 3-4 years and hadn't know about this.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_b View Post
Thank you very much. That is such an easy solution and I can't believe i've been using & supporting BB's for ~ 3-4 years and hadn't know about this.
Don't feel bad... it's not a well documented feature. You're probably one of 9 people who knows that trick now.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

This is a nice test to see if a users device is working or if BES is running.

Thanks for the info.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
peter_b
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Don't feel bad... it's not a well documented feature. You're probably one of 9 people who knows that trick now.
Well now it's up to 12 - sorry... I'm bad at keeping the secret I guess.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
rsk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
You're probably one of 9 people who knows that trick now.
really, I think you underestimate how widespread knowledge of this feature is..

I built a monitoring system around this feature back when all we had was a couple of hundred 950's (thats a long time ago).
Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post
really, I think you underestimate how widespread knowledge of this feature is..
Nah, I still think I'm right.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
conwawj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10

This is a pretty commonly known trick with BES Admins... You can also use this to "silently" send a confirmation request. Meaning the message is deleted once it is recieved on the device. I too have built a monitoring system using this feature.

To send a silent confirmation use these two flags as the first entry in the subject line:
<$RemoveOnDelivery,Confirm>

I have set this as an auto text option on my blackberry so that I can quick send tests to users that complain of slow delivery or no email delivery on their device.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #10
peter_b
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwawj View Post
This is a pretty commonly known trick with BES Admins... You can also use this to "silently" send a confirmation request. Meaning the message is deleted once it is recieved on the device. I too have built a monitoring system using this feature.

To send a silent confirmation use these two flags as the first entry in the subject line:
<$RemoveOnDelivery,Confirm>

I have set this as an auto text option on my blackberry so that I can quick send tests to users that complain of slow delivery or no email delivery on their device.
It just keeps getting cooler. Is there any way to send an electrical shock through to said <whiny> user? I really only need it for one person...

Old 08-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
conwawj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10

Not yet anyway.. if you really want to mess with someone tell them to go into Messages | Press the menu button | hold down the alt key and type thmn

If you try this don't panic... just go to options theme and apply your theme again.
Closed Thread