Old 04-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Ballerstorm

Model: 7100T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Great Apps

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone

I have got a blackberry curve 8330 with my work, and all my co workers tell me to make sure I get any apps I want before I activate the phone, since after activiation the phone will becomes "locked" so I cant download and do things like that.

What are some apps you guys would reccomend to put on that would be useful, or just good apps in general.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Circumventing your employer's security policies and procedures is generally not recommended and is not condoned here.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Ballerstorm

Model: 7100T

You dont know what my workplace policies are. Im talking about useful apps, not games and shit. Ive heard there are apps that simulate taking the battery out and putting it in again rather than having to do it. Im looking for useful apps like that and other ones that my be nice.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

No, we don't know your situation, but we do know IT policies are deployed for a reason. I'm surprised you are being given the opportunity to do what you are saying you are going to do, but we take you at your word, and so it seems you are on your own.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
BlueMonk7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

Come on Ballerstorm... all company rules are good. If the company made a policy, it must be right. Probably be a good idea if you self report yourself to your IT group. Just thinking about having an app on your BB is deserves some sort of corrective action.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Once again, if it's a company device, they own it and they can make the rules. If it's your device, keep it off the corporate BES or you lose control of it... not to mention the BES admin's ability/right to view and monitor anything you do on the device.

You may be able to find ways around the company policies, including the BlackBerry IT policy, but that "freedom" will be short lived, and possible at the expense of your employment - or vice versa. People have been terminated for less that what you are trying to do.

You have been warned by several members here, so you can't say that you didn't know if/when it happens. Good luck to you.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMonk7
Come on Ballerstorm... all company rules are good. If the company made a policy, it must be right. Probably be a good idea if you self report yourself to your IT group. Just thinking about having an app on your BB is deserves some sort of corrective action.
The rules of the policy aren't necessarily smart or stupid, good or bad, or whatever; they just are. Anyone who advises otherwise is doing no one a favor. But as stated above, and in many other threads, there is a wise solution to this issue: get a personal blackberry and do with it what you please.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballerstorm View Post
You dont know what my workplace policies are. Im talking about useful apps, not games and ****. Ive heard there are apps that simulate taking the battery out and putting it in again rather than having to do it. Im looking for useful apps like that and other ones that my be nice.
Get permission from your your employer and you will be fine before or after your device is activated.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
You dont know what my workplace policies are. Im talking about useful apps, not games and shit. Ive heard there are apps that simulate taking the battery out and putting it in again rather than having to do it. Im looking for useful apps like that and other ones that my be nice.
Please watch the language and keep it clean.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Quote:
to make sure I get any apps I want before I activate the phone, since after activiation the phone will becomes "locked" so I cant download and do things like that.
The question is not about if BBF condones the behaviour or the morality issues some other forum members are contemplating. The real question is if you want to receive next month's paycheck or not. Talk to your BES admin, always work with them, not around them. They're there for a reason.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Chances are that an IT Policy will prevent these apps from working anyway. Things like Facebook can be disabled via IT Policy, so why bother?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
JRUNCK
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default How many passive aggressive wannabe police officers can you fit in a forum?

I don't use a BB for the simple reason I like apps & the apps for BB suck. It makes a good business phone though. Try Pandora that is the only app I know of worth getting on a BB. It's too bad everyone on this forum is more interested in playing police officer for the day instead of actually answering your simple question with a helpful answer. The only thing worse than a Police officer is people on the internet trying to act like they are one and overweight house wives on motorcycles their husbands buy for them for watching Oprah all day while they are at work.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRUNCK
I don't use a BB for the simple reason I like apps & the apps for BB suck. It makes a good business phone though. Try Pandora that is the only app I know of worth getting on a BB. It's too bad everyone on this forum is more interested in playing police officer for the day instead of actually answering your simple question with a helpful answer. The only thing worse than a Police officer is people on the internet trying to act like they are one and overweight house wives on motorcycles their husbands buy for them for watching Oprah all day while they are at work.
That's nonsense. It is not playing police officer to tell someone what they want to do is a bad idea.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRUNCK View Post
The only thing worse than a Police officer is people on the internet trying to act like they are one
Nobody is stopping him from doing anything. He can pretty much go to the app store and download every application on sight. The aftermarket software subsection of the forums also have some zillions app listings he can get.

Offering advice and explaining the reasoning behind it is miles apart to beating someone up with an expandable baton.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile

I think that Ballerstorm should take a look at the latest unemployment figures.
If his job is worth getting a few apps that he won't have access to anyway because his job will be lost, then I say more power to him.

Kamau
Old 04-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #16
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520

As well as there is a reason why he is not allowed to get the apps after it's been activated on BES, which makes us concerned about his welfare.

As for what apps you should get, get the ones that you see a use for. We all have different ones on our phones based on our different personalities.

JRUNCK, you and Motorcycle Mama have been here a long time, I don't feel it is appropriate to call her overweight or pass judgement on someone you don't know in real life. Any of us could say things about you, but it's childish to name call over the internet.
blue.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #17
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
I don't use a BB for the simple reason I like apps & the apps for BB suck.
Then why are you posting on a BlackBerry forum? The device isn't for you, great.

Quote:
It makes a good business phone though..
Exactly, and that's why the BES blocks a lot of third party applications. If App World is anything like Apple's App Store, then 2/3 of the apps are garbage anyway. So why not block them. Again, BlackBerry is not for you, great .
Quote:
Try Pandora that is the only app I know of worth getting on a BB.
This is not true, there are tons of good apps for the BlackBerry. They may not suit your needs, but they're still good apps. YouMail is a good example.

Quote:
It's too bad everyone on this forum is more interested in playing police officer for the day instead of actually answering your simple question with a helpful answer.
Call it what you will (which you already have), but what is your definition of "helpful"? If answering the OP's question how he wants which could possibly cause him to get terminated is your definition of helpful, then I guess we're not. If being concerned for his employment in these tough economic times and giving him the best advice we can to prevent termination is helpful, then I'd say we're very helpful.

Quote:
The only thing worse than a Police officer is people on the internet trying to act like they are one and overweight house wives on motorcycles their husbands buy for them for watching Oprah all day while they are at work.
I assume this is a personal insult at one of the members of this forum. A member that has helped hundreds of users here, probably yourself at one point and time. Regardless, this kind of trash has no place on this forum. There are plenty of other BlackBerry forums that may not care about the OP's job status, or may like to read childish insults and attacks on other members. But as a member of this forum, I say we do look out for the OP's best interest, and I also say we don't care to read your childish insults and personal attacks.

As I stated above, there are other forums, if you don't like this one, then why are you here?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #18
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Insulting other members here is reason enough to take a break. When you come back, play nice. Or don't come back.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #19
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

I totally missed the second insult. I wasn't letting it slide when I posted before; I had just stopped reading at the first offbase crack.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #20
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520

Thanks for moderating guys, this is why I like this place.

On a side note, can you imagine we did help people circumvent work policies? Then half the posts here would be "YOU COST ME MY JOB *WAH*"
blue.
Closed Thread