Old 01-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
Jazzi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Question Leather BB case setting off store security

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone else have this problem? Since I have my new BB Curve in a leather case that we bought at AT&T when we purchased the phone, I set off security in every store I walk in to. Today at Target I just waved the leather case alone through the security thing and it beeps. The security tried to deactivate it to no avail. I stopped by a Sprint store because it was closest and the rep told me that it was the magnet in it that was setting off the security and there is nothing I can do about it.

Am I the only one with this problem? It is a leather case with a strap that goes over the top. Will I need to hold my phone up every time I enter a store as the Sprint Rep suggested?

Any comments or insight would be gratefully appreciated.

TIA
OS 4.5.0.124
Windows XP Home SP3

Last edited by Jazzi; 01-21-2009 at 01:10 AM..
Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 AM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Never had this problem. Make sure there is not a left over metal strip in the case.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Jazzi

I checked and had a rep at AT&T check it out today. He tried to sell me a different case. I'm not sure what the deal is, he said it is the magnet that turns my BB to standby when it is put in the case. He suggested I go to a store and have them deactivate it, however I already had Target try doing that and it didn't work. This really sucks! What is going on? I have looked over the case high and low and inside and cannot find anything that would cause this. Needless to say I am getting really disgusted!
OS 4.5.0.124
Windows XP Home SP3

Last edited by Jazzi; 01-21-2009 at 03:45 PM..
Old 01-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
ssmjdmdc5

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

had mine do that to me in a couple of stores i love my case so im just goin to not worry about it i just keep walking
Old 01-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
I checked and had a rep at AT&T check it out today. He tried to sell me a different case. I'm not sure what the deal is, he said it is the magnet that turns my BB to standby when it is put in the case. He suggested I go to a store and have them deactivate it, however I already had Target try doing that and it didn't work. This really sucks! What is going on? I have looked over the case high and low and inside and cannot find anything that would cause this. Needless to say I am getting really disgusted!
Slow down, and re-read what you just typed, and then think about it.

Your case has a MAGNET inside, that magnet aligns with an internal switch in the BlackBerry. When the is put into the case, that magnet flips the internal switch, shutting off the screen and putting the BlackBerry into "Holster Mode". Depending on which case you have, there may also be a pair of magnets to hold the strap closed. THIS IS PART OF HOW THE CASE WORKS AND YOU WANT THE MAGNETS FUNCTIONING. If the Target employees had succeeded in demagnetizing them, YOUR CASE WOULD NO LONGER WORK CORRECTLY.

The sensor arches at the front of the store detect magnetic fields. Target uses special labels that have a thin layer of magnetic foil in them. These labels can easily be hidden on or within the package of an item, to help deter theft. Target's demagnetizer is designed to demagnetize those "anti-theft" labels. It may not be strong enough to demagnetize the magnets in your case which is a GOOD thing. You and your case aren't the problem, you have nothing to worry about. Stop being so paranoid.

BTW, I have been using the official RIM leather belt holsters with magnets in them for YEARS, and I've never had my holster set off the sensor at Target stores. Sounds to me like your local store has the sensitivity set a wee bit off, and needs to have their technician adjust it back to normal settings. Feel free to suggest this to them.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Jazzi

I think we may have found the problem, although I haven't had time to confirm it yet. Apparently there was an anti-theft device in an inside pocket of my jacket. That was what was setting off the alarms at Snyder's anyway. So it may not be the case after all. I hope to test it sometime this week at another store though.

You are right, I don't want the magnet to be gone because I like that my BB goes into standby when placed in the case. I have decided that even if it continues to set off store security, I will take the advice of holding it over my head when I enter.

Thanks for all the advice and help
OS 4.5.0.124
Windows XP Home SP3
Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
deanf2

Model: Bold

Uh, what's the big deal? I ignore all store security beepers. Unless the store has actually seen you conceal merchandise, they cannot detain you for setting off the beepers. Just walk right through like you own the place. Have some confidence and command presence. Don't be a sheep!
Closed Thread