BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
JavelinUser25

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Blackberry 8900 White Screen Issue (phones still works)

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys, I have a question regarding the white screen issue's that many blackberry users have reported having.

Last night I dropped by phone and immediately the screen went white. All of the other functions of the phone work, I still get TXT's, calls, alarms still go off and everything works besides the screen. The screen is white but has a few tiny black streaks that move around depending on the commands.

After doing some research, I found a thread with a solution to a similar problem on the peal with the below solution:

"I think I have a fix. I'll explain what I did and please let me know if it works for you.

The problem: A completely, with an emphasis on completely, blank white screen. Occasionally, the phone appears slightly fuzzy, or glitchy. Also, the phone occasionally appears completely normal. The phone, in my case, worked fine despite the screen problems.

The fix: I found a thread about someone claiming that the four solder points behind the mini usb port somehow created a short behind the screen. The guide said to, first, completely disassemble your blackberry (sorry I don't have the guide here...could look for it today and send it to anyone that requests) After disassembled down to being able to see the green motherboard with the small screen attached, slightly and carefully peel the left side of the screen (the side that contains the mini usb port) a bit upwards until you can see the four solder points. For the laymen, these solder points are simply 4 grayish/silver spots. While taking care to not lift the screen excessively and leaving the majority still attached to the motherboard, take a piece of electrical tape, or any insulator and carefully put it over those four solder points.

Then, push screen back into position, reassemble, and test.

Please let me know if this works for you. My problem was solved instantly.

As for a second major problem of blackberry owners: if your phone will not sync with your computer and you have a bad mini usb port on your blackberry, it is probably because of the mini usb female port of your phone. A replacement of the port is the only solution I know of for this problem

As for a white screen with an hourglass: I think this is probably going to, usually, be a software problem and requires a reload of the operating system using your blackberry software on cd, or software directly from blackberry.com"

Many users claimed this worked for their phones but none have reported any success with the 8900. Has anybody tried this or even fixed this on their own with the 8900 before?

Any suggestions or advice would be great, otherwise it may look like I need a new screen.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:06 AM   #2
f1ipster

Carrier: T mobile

i have this same problem did you try this method???
Old 07-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
buts

Carrier: Vodafone

Hi,

I hit exactly the same issue. While screen but the phone is still working.
I used the instructions given in the thread and disambled the Blackberry. When I lift up the display there are no solder points. Can it be that they are on a different place or does the display is slightly different ?

Does there is any other solution ?
Thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Luke

Carrier: 02

Hi,

I am having the same problem with my curve 8900, I have disambled the blackberry and put insulation tape over what I believe to be the 4 solder points but unfortunately for me it still loads up with a white screen. I have erased all my data, done system reset with the JL_Cmder program and put a new OS software on the phone.

If I put my sim card in the phone it still works as normal, I'm able to receive calls and texts but obviously with the white screen, I cant see the texts or see the caller display (just a blank white screen).

I'm starting to run out of ideas and i'm starting to think along the same lines as JavelinUser25 and buy a new LCD screen as I believe the phone is working fine as I am receiving calls and messages etc. it must be something to do with the screen.

Does anyone know any other solutions or methods which myself and the above can try to attempt to fix this white screen error?

Thanks

Last edited by Luke; 08-26-2010 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake :p
Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
bones2j

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Hi,

I am having the same problem with my curve 8900, I have disambled the blackberry and put insulation tape over what I believe to be the 4 solder points but unfortunately for me it still loads up with a white screen. I have erased all my data, done system reset with the JL_Cmder program and put a new OS software on the phone.

If I put my sim card in the phone it still works as normal, I'm able to receive calls and texts but obviously with the white screen, I cant see the texts or see the caller display (just a blank white screen).

I'm starting to run out of ideas and i'm starting to think along the same lines as JavelinUser25 and buy a new LCD screen as I believe the phone is working fine as I am receiving calls and messages etc. it must be something to do with the screen.

Does anyone know any other solutions or methods which myself and the above can try to attempt to fix this white screen error?

Thanks
Hello Luke,

Did you end up getting a new LCD ? if yes, did that fix the problem ? . I just had the same problem, I tried every possible solution I found on the internet and none of them worked.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
umasad

Model: 8320
Carrier: unlocked was tmobil now mobinil
Smile Re: Blackberry 8900 White Screen Issue (phones still works)

i had the same problem and ended up buying an lcd and replacing it it works fine now ..... i have an extra 8900 in the house with a cracked screen so i will try to see if i replace it with the white screen and tape the soldered points i will let you know how it goes.... Hey by the way this was the first i ever took apart any electronics and replaced parts it was relatively easy and kinda fun and exciting ..... who knows maybe i found a new hobby =)
Closed Thread