BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 07-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #21
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Please Login to Remove!

Seattle - egale is justified to express dissatisfaction in a universal horizontal case which allows for 4 different orientations of placing the BB into it. There is no dedicated 'top' and 'bottom' which tailor the case to only allow the BB to be inserted a certain way.

Further, Salo showed the integrity we would all like to see in an engineer, and production company, in recognizing this oversight. Now, if only my engineers could borrow Salo's spine, I'd be a much happier camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salo Rechtszaid
Thank you for your input. It is always important to know what customers' experieces are with our cases and this is a classic case where us engineers did not think of all the details.
We are considering installing a magnet on either side of the lateral pouches so that the situation described does not happen.
Thank you again
Old 07-28-2006, 07:52 AM   #22
egale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
Let me address a couple things here.

This case is properly designed the first time. Just because it does not have extra magnets on every side of it does not mean it is ill-designed. ...

I have to disagree here. The case is not advertised as "right hip only". To wear it on your left side means flipping it backwards. It is an awkward thing to do. Would I even think about the case not being compatible for your left hip? Of course not. Would I ask about a custom job before ordering an otherwise ordinary case? Of course not. I didn't say it was junk nor a horribly designed product. It is missing a 2 cent magnet that was oversight by the designers. Therefore, the product doesn't deserve a perfect rating.

If a manufacturer built a tv that was supposedly top of the line which came with a remote that worked in your right hand only AND didn't advertise it as such, there would be a whole lot of left handed people upset when they found out they couldn't use their remote properly. The right hand reviewer had no problems with it and gave it a glowing rating. The left handed purchaser reads the review, buys the tv and is very annoyed. Who would ever think that a tv remote would only work in one hand.

Its the same here. I'm sure the manufacturer didn't leave out the extra magnet for spite. It was an oversite and is now a very easy manufacturing change to make. It is a feature that nobody thought about and was only brought to light once it hit the market. That's why, in my eyes, it doesn't deserve 5 berries. If you had done the review and had put the case on your left side, you probably would not have given it 5 berries either.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #23
3mkharris
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

I love my case and I am going to keep it.

However, when they designed it they never put an 8700 into the case. Or they would have seen that none of the ports/buttons are accessible. Specifically the USB port for charging over night.

my .02
Old 07-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #24
amassere
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

how about talking abt how the magnet is place in the front of the case...and when the leather gets used..u see a huge round shape in front of ur holster.....or the cardboard holding the case togheter gets used extremly fast and the case looses its shape...stuff like that!
Old 07-29-2006, 01:26 PM   #25
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by egale
If a manufacturer built a tv that was supposedly top of the line which came with a remote that worked in your right hand only AND didn't advertise it as such, there would be a whole lot of left handed people upset when they found out they couldn't use their remote properly. The right hand reviewer had no problems with it and gave it a glowing rating. The left handed purchaser reads the review, buys the tv and is very annoyed. Who would ever think that a tv remote would only work in one hand.
That's quite possibly the worst analogy I've ever heard. By your reasoning, the BB does not go to sleep when the case is on your left hip. Certainly that's rediculous. The truth is that it goes to sleep on your left hip, just not while facing the direction you deem mandatory. There are people who have this case on their left hip who actually do not mind the extra millisecond it takes to twist it for use. Obviously you aren't one of them. As for checking with the mamnufacturer about magnet placement, if I were left-handed, I would probably get in the habit of double checking things like that since the vast majority of items made which are not totally ambidextrous in nature are made with the right-handed person in mind. But that's just me I guess.

To put this behind us once and for all - I'm very sorry I gave this case 5 berries. I have changed the rating and made adjustments to the review to reflect their huge oversight in the case's design. You're welcome.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #26
Salo Rechtszaid

Carrier: Verizon

I want to clarify something that may have been misunderstood. The product that is being discussed here is in no way flawed or ill designed or defective. When I said “this is a classic case where us engineers did not think of all the details.", it was in response to a customers' concern that an inexpensive addition to our product would make it that much better, and would satisfy some people.
With that in mind, we are considering the placement of an additional magnet on all lateral pouches for blackberries, and the reason is because we want to be THE BEST case manufacturer in the world, and we want to have THE BEST product in the market, and we want our customers to know that we DO listen to all concerns and suggestions.

As for Seattle’s review, I believe that it was correct the first time giving us 5 out of 5, because our product, (even with only one magnet) is better than anything else out there (of course I am biased). If we have 4 out of five then everyone else that has only one magnet should lose a Blackberry, don't you think? And when we place the extra magnet, may be we will get back our 5th or even get a 6th?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #27
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Salo - I certainly applaud your efforts to recognize that there are times when holding one's self to 'industry standards' simply isn't good enough any longer.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:28 PM   #28
quillhill
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

Now that I have this case, I finally understand what the hell all the fuss over the sleeper magnet is. OK, so I reverse the way I put the phone in the case, and voila! Screen put to sleep. I had to actually pull the case off my belt in order to observe the correct ways to insert the phone. LOL. Had no clue. Doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. Anyway, you're welcome for stirring up the drama again.

What I am really posting to say is I love this case. I wish I had just bucked up and ordered it right off the bat. It is exactly what I have been looking for since I got the Blackberry in May. It is the right fit, not too snug so it slips out easily, but snug enough that the Berry doesn't move around much in the case. It's gorgeous. And I love the low profile. Now what to do with three other cases I have that either don't fit or I don't like...lol.

I think I have a new favorite accessory company.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:07 AM   #29
pft

Default Had different experience

After receiving this case I unfortunately decided that its not for me.

What I did not like:

- Its nearly impossible to remove the 8700 without pushing the side convenience button (Sure, I could disable the button but I like having it).

- The clasp on the top flap comes in contact with screen when removing or replacing the 8700 using only one hand (you have to put the the 8700 face in to properly utilize the sleeper magnet).

- The fixed clip does not swivel (this is my fault as I just assumed it would).

- I found it to be a bit bulky and on the heavy side (but the leather was exceptional so this is probably the trade-off)

What I liked:

- The design is awesome

- The leather and craftsmenship are exceptional

- Fast shipping and the company is excellent overall to deal with

For me this case would be perfect with some minor mods:

- Change the bottom cutouts to accomodate removal without engaging the side convenience button.

- Change the clasp to a hidden magnet design.

- Add an option for a fixed/ racheting swivel clip (can be plastic like Rim's or Seidio's).

- Add an additional sleeper magnet.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #30
cmand

Default Removable ratchet clip problem

I just recently purchased a Fortte lateral case for my 8700c with a removable ratchet clip. While I am satisfied with the quality of the case in general (I have also had issues with inserting the devise in a certain way and it not going to sleep), I am very disappointed with the quality of the removable ratchet clip that I bought as an option.

The design is awful from three perspectives -- one, it positions the case too far from the body so it catches on anything you brush up against. Two, the clip is very hard to get onto a belt or waistband due to the fact that it does not have a springloaded clip mechanism. And three, it does not stay on your belt or waistband. I recently had it fall off onto a concrete floor and ding up the corner of the BB because of the open corners on the case. As a result, I have started carrying it in my pocket because I cannot trust it to stay on my belt.

I have sent an email off to the support people to see what they will do, but have not heard back from them yet.

If anyone is contemplating purchasing one of these, I would strongly urge you to get the belt loop option to get it closer to your body and have the confidence it will stay on your belt.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #31
Winston S.

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I was also not happy with the removeable ratchetable clip for the same reason in addition to the case not fitting as well as I would have liked it.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #32
Salo Rechtszaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmand
I just recently purchased a Fortte lateral case for my 8700c with a removable ratchet clip. While I am satisfied with the quality of the case in general (I have also had issues with inserting the devise in a certain way and it not going to sleep), I am very disappointed with the quality of the removable ratchet clip that I bought as an option.

The design is awful from three perspectives -- one, it positions the case too far from the body so it catches on anything you brush up against. Two, the clip is very hard to get onto a belt or waistband due to the fact that it does not have a springloaded clip mechanism. And three, it does not stay on your belt or waistband. I recently had it fall off onto a concrete floor and ding up the corner of the BB because of the open corners on the case. As a result, I have started carrying it in my pocket because I cannot trust it to stay on my belt.

I have sent an email off to the support people to see what they will do, but have not heard back from them yet.

If anyone is contemplating purchasing one of these, I would strongly urge you to get the belt loop option to get it closer to your body and have the confidence it will stay on your belt.

I am sorry you do not like the ratchet clip we currently use but can not understand why it is not staying in your belt. I myself use one and I have never had it fall off, (and I do move around and do a lot of physical activity).

I know that our staff has already sent you a reply and all I can say is that we have customers that like the ratchet clip a lot ( I am one) and we have had customers tell us they hate it. It is all a matter of choice and that is why we have 6 options for every case and are looking to add at least two more in the near future.

Please reply to the message that our staff sent you and we will see what we can do because we are always striving for 100% customer satisfaction
Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #33
GarrisonSmith

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

My dad and I just ordered one as well. It's cheaper than a Vaja Case and still has the same quality. I have had two piel frama cases and the seem rigid, well made , but not custom. So I am hoping I feel the same way Seatlle 18 does.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #34
culater88

Model: 8330

If I add a Seidio skin to the 8703e, in your opinio, do you think it'll still fit into this lateral case? Thanks
Old 10-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #35
pspiegel
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by culater88
If I add a Seidio skin to the 8703e, in your opinio, do you think it'll still fit into this lateral case? Thanks
i have this fortte case, and it will fit a 8703e with a skin, but it is REALLY tight and hard to get out.. i just tried

However, the naztech bravo case from bberry.com is too big for the 8700 series itself, but when used with a skin on the unit, it fits perfectly..

Last edited by pspiegel; 10-19-2006 at 07:08 PM..
Old 10-17-2006, 05:30 PM   #36
culater88

Thanks PSP for your reply. I guess my search goes on.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #37
FroogleThis

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Great review Seattle18. I feel this case was given the correct score, not because the case is perfect off the line, but because with just a LITTLE effort and research (about 1/4 the time most spend reading this review) anyone could have contacted Fortte, or check their site, and seen that Fortte is probably the most consumer-oriented case-design company ever. Read some other reviews and you'll find one in particular where the reviewer asked Fortte to add a little elastic to accomodate his BB, and they did. Salo, as an employee of the company, has taken time to visit a popular forum, and actually CARE about how people feel. We see companies spend MILLIONS on marketing a product, put some of their best salesman on the floor opening day, sell out truck loads of inventory, and once that's done it's done. They don't research their customers post-purchase opinion...Why? Because they've made a product with ONLY an Investment-Return policy, meaning they get more money selling the product than they put into it. Post-sales research is an expense you will RARELY find in corporations.Trust me, I have been working in PR and Advertising the majority of my post-education life, and I know the ins & outs of marketing tactics. You will not find this kind of Quality Control (post-purchase) in many other places, and we're only talking about freaking Blackberry cases! Fortte should start making cars, that way, when I spend a years salary, I know someone will care how I feel AFTER I drive off the lot.

Thank you Salo. You gave me all the confidence I need in choosing a case. I will be ordering a Fortte case (not sure whether it'll be Lateral or Vertical) as soon as I can. I will also go ahead and forward your site to the Execs at my office to see if they are interested in them. I hope to see more great things from your company.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #38
Baz7520

Carrier: Sprint
Question

I have a few questions for those that have this case. I am interested in getting it for my 8703e.

1. If you place the BB with the face towards your body, does the "snap" hit your screen?

2. Is the "snap" magnetic?

3. I see in the pictures on the site that there is a cutout on the bottom of the case.
Does it now accomodate the USB charging while still in the case?

4. Is the material that is currently lining the case to your liking for screen protection? Do you forsee it fading away in a year or two?

TYIA

Baz
Old 11-13-2006, 03:53 AM   #39
pspiegel
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz7520
I have a few questions for those that have this case. I am interested in getting it for my 8703e.

1. If you place the BB with the face towards your body, does the "snap" hit your screen?

2. Is the "snap" magnetic?

3. I see in the pictures on the site that there is a cutout on the bottom of the case. Does it now accomodate the USB charging while still in the case?

4. Is the material that is currently lining the case to your liking for screen protection? Do you forsee it fading away in a year or two?
1. No
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes, No (very very well made product)
Old 11-13-2006, 06:33 AM   #40
Dodge DeBoulet

Model: 9530

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspiegel
1. No
On the contrary, I find that I must use special care when removing the BB from, and inserting it into the case to prevent the magnet on the flap from contacting the screen. Having said that, I would still have purchased the case; it is in all other respects an excellent example of quality and workmanship.

I have contacted Fortte, and have received a commitment that the issue will be looked into by the design team. I suggested that they consider using hidden magnets stitched between the leather and lining of the case.