DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Default Re: RIM is black-burying carriers with half-baked BlackBerrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Speaking for myself, I have no issue with iPhone owners posting here, so long as they are not here specifically to bash BlackBerry.
And most of them (not all) seem to be here to do just that. BigA, ArgonNJ come to mind. You have to ask yourself, if they own and love iPhones, why do they spend time on a BlackBerry forum anyway? I have a BlackBerry, am not enamored of iPhones, and am a member of exactly ZERO iPhone forums. Of course, I also have a life...
Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #23
fourstringfuror

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Speaking for myself, I have no issue with iPhone owners posting here, so long as they are not here specifically to bash BlackBerry.
This.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #24
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers

Whatever, haters gonna hate.

Morons can come on here and talk all they want about RIM dying etc.

Fact: RIM is a debt free company with almost $1Bn in profit so far this year.

Fact: RIM has been working incredibly hard to revamp products and transition towards more powerful OSes (you can't deny QNX is the most powerful mobile platform... you could literally run iOS and Android on top of QNX and it would all run smooth)

Fact: It isn't all about apps... most people install and use less than 50. RIM has a few good advantages. Apple xxxxed themselves with Facebook... there's only one single Facebook app that is made for tablets, and that's on the Blackberry.

In-house apps are being developed and are looking great

Facebook 2.0
Blackberry Traffic
Blackberry Travel
Blackberry News Feeds
Blackberry Protect
Blackberry Mobile Conferencing

It is clear that RIM is trying... I mean just look at the Bold 9900 coming August/September.

Most that have had hands on are fairly happy with how it is turning out. Its screen is only second to an iPhone 4. It has a woven glass-fibre back plate, it's as slim as an iPhone 4, and it has the keyboard everyone loves... OS7 IS actually shaping up well.

Having friends that work at RIM in many different areas (testers, programmers, gov't relations) I can tell you they're not done any time soon.

Do I think Jim and Mike need to stop this co-CEO thing? Yes.
Do I think RIM needs to push for more innovation? Yes.

Do I see RIM as a dead ship in the water? No.

Any moron can say "ohh its end of days - sent from my iPhone” but they really don't understand the true aspects of the technology market, and most likely they couldn't tell you how most technology works other than "I love my iPhone its got apps"

I've dropped my BB Torch on concrete from 4-5 feet on multiple occasions. I've drunkenly slammed it on a table, over and over again.... the thing is indestructible.... You want to talk quality? This thing is a tank.

And xxxx the providers for taking 6 months to test a build of an OS that can STILL be a little buggy once they release it. Bugs happen, its freaking software.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #25
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

While I agree that RIM isn't going to shrivel up and die tomorrow, I have concern with some of your comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Fact: RIM has been working incredibly hard to revamp products and transition towards more powerful OSes (you can't deny QNX is the most powerful mobile platform... you could literally run iOS and Android on top of QNX and it would all run smooth)
How do you state, as fact, that "you could literally run iOS and Android on top of QNX and it would all run smooth"? Have you done this? Do you know this for certain?

Quote:
Fact: It isn't all about apps... most people install and use less than 50. RIM has a few good advantages. Apple xxxxed themselves with Facebook... there's only one single Facebook app that is made for tablets, and that's on the Blackberry.
First, apps may not be important to you, but they are important generally speaking. And 50 apps on any device is quite a lot. Plus, bear in mind that 50 apps on my device won't likely be the exact same 50 apps on your device. So there would have to be more than 50 apps that we both find useful in App World to cover the two of us. Except that there are more than two people using BlackBerry devices. End result: there needs to be a much bigger, better selection of apps than currently available.

Second, explain how Apple did whatever it is you say they did with regards to Facebook. Apple has nothing to do with the Facebook app on the iPhone. That is written by developers at Facebook, not Apple. Plus, Facebook on the PlayBook is not the only tablet app for Facebook. For example, Facebook is coming pre-loaded on the HP Touchpad, and there is Friendly for Facebook on the iPad (among others). So what do you mean "there's only one single Facebook app that is made for tablets, and that's on the Blackberry"?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 06-28-2011 at 01:53 PM..
Old 06-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #26
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
While I agree that RIM isn't going to shrivel up and die tomorrow, I have concern with some of your comments:

How do you state, as fact, that "you could literally run iOS and Android on top of QNX and it would all run smooth"? Have you done this? Do you know this for certain?

First, apps may not be important to you, but they are important generally speaking. And 50 apps on any device is quite a lot. Plus, bear in mind that 50 apps on my device won't likely be the exact same 50 apps on your device. So there would have to be more than 50 apps that we both find useful in App World to cover the two of us. Except that there are more than two people using BlackBerry devices. End result: there needs to be a much bigger, better selection of apps than currently available.

Second, explain how Apple did whatever it is you say they did with regards to Facebook. Apple has nothing to do with the Facebook app on the iPhone. That is written by developers at Facebook, not Apple. Plus, Facebook on the PlayBook is not the only tablet app for Facebook. For example, Facebook is coming pre-loaded on the HP Touchpad, and there is Friendly for Facebook on the iPad (among others). So what do you mean "there's only one single Facebook app that is made for tablets, and that's on the Blackberry"?
Facebook on the Playbook was the first Facebook released that was tablet optimized.

And when I talk about Facebook and Apple I mean this;
http://blogs.forbes.com/ericjackson/...book-vs-apple/

Why would you develop better versions for your competition. Facebook has way better versions for BB than any other device. FB 2.0 on the BB in Beta right now is quite nice and I really enjoy the PlayBook version too. To my knowledge, neither iOS or Android have versions comparable to what the BB has.

Last edited by Cooper; 06-28-2011 at 02:03 PM..
Old 06-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #27
Daltonirl

Model: iP4
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Facebook on the Playbook was the first Facebook released that was tablet optimized.

Why would you develop better versions for your competition. Facebook has way better versions for BB than any other device. FB 2.0 on the BB in Beta right now is quite nice and I really enjoy the PlayBook version too. To my knowledge, neither iOS or Android have versions comparable to what the BB has.
I've personally used Facebook for both BlackBerry and iPhone, and I must say the BlackBerry version was pretty disappointing. Now, there may be a better version out now, but when I used it a couple months ago there was a ton of stuff you couldn't do that you could on the iOS version. Not to mention figuring out how to turn on notifications was absurdly long-winded; on the iPhone it's setting>notifications- that's it. Of course this is my opinion, but I disagree that BlackBerry has the best Facebook app.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #28
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Friendly for Facebook (for iPad) was out long before Facebook on the PlayBook. Besides, what you originally said was "there's only one single Facebook app that is made for tablets, and that's on the Blackberry" and that simply is not true.

Quote:
And when I talk about Facebook and Apple I mean this;
Facebook vs. Apple - Eric Jackson - Tech and China - Forbes
This is an article about Facebook being afraid of both Google and Apple and their chipping away at the market share of Facebook. Apple didn't [whatever you wrote] themselves with regards to Facebook. Facebook is scared of Google and Apple.

Quote:
Why would you develop better versions for your competition. Facebook has way better versions for BB than any other device.
Better is a matter of opinion. However, Amazon writes a Kindle app for virtually all devices (except the PlayBook) and yet they still seem to sell their Kindle hardware just fine. There's no reason a Facebook app for the iPad would harm Facebook, so why wouldn't Facebook (1) continue developing for the iPhone and (2) start developing for the iPad?

Quote:
FB 2.0 on the BB in Beta right now is quite nice and I really enjoy the PlayBook version too. To my knowledge, neither iOS or Android have versions comparable to what the BB has.
I have always preferred Facebook on the iPhone over Facebook on the BlackBerry, even when I was using only Facebook on the BlackBerry. As i said earlier, which one is better is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 06-28-2011 at 02:52 PM..
Old 06-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #29
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltonirl View Post
Not to mention figuring out how to turn on notifications was absurdly long-winded; on the iPhone it's setting>notifications- that's it.
Yeah, on the BlackBerry Facebook 2.0 its SO absurdly long-winded in comparison to that. Its "Options -> Facebook notifications" check or uncheck.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #30
Daltonirl

Model: iP4
Carrier: AT&T

I did it in the actually Facebook app and it was nothing like that for me. Maybe I did it the long way though.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #31
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
To my knowledge, neither iOS or Android have versions comparable to what the BB has.
Facebook 1.6.0 that was just released yesterday for Android blows everything out of the water at this point.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 06-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #32
Thiego-uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: SGS2
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

WoW. Im glad I hate facebook. One thing less to worry about...
Closed Thread