Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
PhillyGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO
Default TeleNav vs. Garmin

Please Login to Remove!

Any thoughts between the two? I am in the free trial for both on my new 8900.

I like Garmin's menu and choices, but it's traffic mode is bad, it doesn't seem to provide traffic on the route it provdes. It's a one-time cost of $99 ($79 right now through the BB Owners Lounge). Does Garmin update the map?

TeleNav did real good on an acid test last week in Charleston, SC. It seems to take longer to lock in and find a route. But it's a recurring cost of $10/month.

Any opinions are welcome.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Waycool_

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZN

I've heard good thing about AmaZe and it is free.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

You really have to try them both and decide for yourself. Personally, I prefer and use Telenav. Cheaper doesn't mean much to me if it doesn't meet my needs. YMMV. I don't really rely on Telenav's traffic feature much but it calculates and reroutes quickly in my experiences with it.

Last edited by takeshi; 03-13-2009 at 02:32 PM..
Old 03-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
buggle_96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

I prefer garmin, maybe its my 8800 but telenav was glitchy and took longer for me to load and find locations.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

I think Telenav wins hands down. Great app with great features. One I don't leave home without. I have tried the traffic rerouting many times and it just plain works. With my Bold and an extended battery its very reliable. Garmin has lousy customer support.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
Rhyalus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

I seem to always agree with Mr. Dog....

I travel extensively, and when I recently cleared my "recent trips" online with Telenav, I had about 250 successful trips in there.

It is not always perfect, but neither is any software or hardware based GPS.

I always plan my trips out online, though I really like the search routines, dial in or speech recognition on the phone for adding destinations.

FYI, their database is inferior to Google Maps. Often I will need to use both from my PC to add locations to my phone. Hotels are sometimes missing, etc...

I think the $10/month for Telenav is well worth it!

R
Old 03-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
Barfaroo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: US Cellular
Default Garmin support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
I think Telenav wins hands down. Great app with great features. One I don't leave home without. I have tried the traffic rerouting many times and it just plain works. With my Bold and an extended battery its very reliable. Garmin has lousy customer support.
I really must disagree here. I have called Garmin two or three times and have gotten thought each time to a technician who was knowledgeable and helpful. Their support has been really great.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
Crazydog

I was about to ask this same question.

I'm more worried about the price. They both are fine apps, and I'll use either.

With Garmin, it's $100, but that's only for the life of your phone.

With TeleNav, it's as low as $5.20/month (if you buy 4 years in advance).

Since I have Verizon, I will most likely be upgrading my phone in 2 years (or switching providers).
With Garmin, that means after 24 months, I would have to pay $100 again.
With TeleNav, I'd have to sign up for $250/4yr.

So:
4 years of Garmin (2 phones): $200
4 years of TeleNav (2 phones): $250

Knowing that, I'd go with Garmin unless someone can punch a hole in my math. If I stick with this phone longer, I'll be saving MUCH more money than going with TeleNav.

If you plan on having your phone for less than 2 years, get TeleNav.

Last edited by Crazydog; 03-26-2009 at 06:05 PM..
Old 03-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Well just that Garmins cust service aint much IMO. I have relied on TN so often with so much success. And you never know what happens if you lose your phone. Garmin hoses you. What about water damage? Hosed literally. What about your dog chews it. Woof. Gotta love dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydog View Post
I was about to ask this same question.

I'm more worried about the price. They both are fine apps, and I'll use either.

With Garmin, it's $100, but that's only for the life of your phone.

With TeleNav, it's as low as $5.20/month (if you buy 4 years in advance).

Since I have Verizon, I will most likely be upgrading my phone in 2 years (or switching providers).

So:

Knowing that, I'd go with Garmin unless someone can punch a hole in my math. If I stick with this phone longer, I'll be saving MUCH more money than going with TeleNav.

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 03-28-2009 at 09:50 PM..
Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
Crazydog

I know what people say about Garmin's customer support. I recently emailed them about what happens if your phone breaks, and I got this respone:
Quote:
I would be happy to help you. If you have an issue with your phone and it needs to be repaired we would be more than [happy] to move the subscription to the replacement phone as long as it is the same model. If you switch phones or upgrade you phone to a new model we can transfer the subscription one time to a new device.
So apparently, as long as you keep the same model phone (if it breaks), you can move your subscription to the new phone.

Also, you get one free transfer to a different phone model.

I'm not sure how willing Garmin's Customer service would be to do this, and how long it will take, but after hearing this, and trying out both Garmin Mobile, and TeleNav, I'm still giving Garmin the upper hand.

Last edited by Crazydog; 03-30-2009 at 06:07 PM..
Old 03-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:

So:

As always, I seriously recommend trying as many GPS apps as possible.

Basing your decision solely on pricing is a bad idea IMO. There are plenty of cheaper options. Hell, there are free GPS apps. But cheap and free don't mean much when you really need your GPS app to work properly. Note that with Telenav you can cancel and re-start service to your heart's content if you're paying monthly.

Comparing Garmin to Telenav I didn't care for Garmin's interface and I have yet to find an app that routes and re-routes as well as Telenav does. I haven't found a free GPS app that I can stand but if one works for you then for it!

YMMV but you won't know without first hand experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
I have relied on TN so often with so much success.
Same here. Several thousands of miles logged with Telenav. Use what works for you though.

Last edited by takeshi; 03-31-2009 at 01:41 PM..
Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
Spankypoo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMo

Looks like the TeleNav marketing intern had a bright idea!
Old 03-31-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

lol, it really does...
Old 04-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #14
Briman

Model: 9530

Quote:
I know what people say about Garmin's customer support. I recently emailed them about what happens if your phone breaks, and I got this respone:

So apparently, as long as you keep the same model phone (if it breaks), you can move your subscription to the new phone.

Also, you get one free transfer to a different phone model.

I'm not sure how willing Garmin's Customer service would be to do this, and how long it will take, but after hearing this, and trying out both Garmin Mobile, and TeleNav, I'm still giving Garmin the upper hand.
I purchased the Garmin software for $79 for my Storm. I frequently try out new beta OSs like many others BB users. Each time I loaded a new OS I had to call Garmin tech support to get a new install code (an issue with my DM, I'm told). Their support was stellar! They never questioned. As well, I have read in other forums that users getting multiple replacement phones have had the same experience.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #15
Iphonic

I have used Garmin on my BB for sometime… the maps served up by Garmin were fantastic. I was able to make out the road ahead with accuracy based on the images Garmin presented. If I didn't have a Garmin Nav system, I'd get the Garmin Mobile for my phone. For me it works just as good as the Garmin GPS … Nuvi 660.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #16
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Does the Garmin product announce STREET names or just turn left?

In other words will Garmin announce:

"Turn left on Elm Street in 300 yards"

or will it just say:

"Turn left in 300 yards"
Old 04-10-2009, 04:58 AM   #17
jogle

Carrier: Cincinnati Bell
Default New User Garman Report

I got the Garman $99.00 deal. Put it on my Curve 8310. I have been using it a week with very few problems. I was using a Garman NUVI 350 for three years and the one on my Blackberry is a clone of the NUVI software. I like the fact that the icons are almost all the same. The only hitch I have seen so far is when I head out from home it tells me my first turn is left but the map arrow shows a right turn. On the first command it says turn left then when I near the intersection it changes and says turn right. I am hoping it corrects itself. The voice is clear but the volume could be a little louder. When I have it on front passenger seat it is a little hard to hear on the highway but if I put it in the sun visor it is loud and clear.I think the voice sounds more human and less computer generated. Over all I will use it over my NUVI as it is more convienient to get set up. I like the fact it has traffic on it with no added charge. It may be me but I swear when she says recalculate her voice seems to be a lot more grumpy than the NUVI voice lol
Old 04-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #18
UCLAKoolman

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Does anyone here know if Telenav is compatible with the v4.5 OS?

I've been using telenav for over 2 years, and love it. I want to upgrade my OS but I'm not sure if telenav is compatible.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:56 AM   #19
dcjoe662

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Hey guys I tried out Telenav today because I was going to be in downtown Los Angeles CA. I have a blackberry 8900 and I'm doing the 30days for free trial. The thing that I had a problem with is the program would lose a GPS signal right in downtown. It worked up to the point where I had to exit and just froze up! Really made me mad, of all places Los Angeles to freeze up. So after 3 hours of resetting my phone and turn the program off and on it decides to work on the way back. Any suggestions? Its a really good program when it works, but it was really irritating when it decided not to find a GPS signal.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #20
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I don't know that phone but many gps units can have trouble in urban areas with tall buildings. The signals get bounced off the buildings or hidden by the buildings making gps use problematic. And I don't know that software - did you really have trouble rebooting your phone or just getting a gps signal again?
Closed Thread