BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
painted_duchess

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Yes Optus
Default Constantly "working", and then overheating!

Please Login to Remove!

Helloooooo everybody.

Got an interesting problem that cropped up with my new Bold yesterday morning. I had put it on the charger overnight, and switched it off. It woke me up at 5:45 (early start at work... ugh), and then I took it with me to work. After an hour or so, I noticed that the BlackBerry was really hot! Really, really warm to the touch. I pulled it out of the holster, and noticed the "working" symbol (I'm not sure if that's the official term for it -- the little black box in the middle of the screen that flashes when the BBerry is loading something) was going mad, despite having not opened any applications that morning. I set it on a cool surface and came back to check on it some minutes later, and it was still doing it. Tried typing an SMS, and it was lagging something chronic. The battery was drained by this point, so I turned the entire unit off (not full power off) and left it alone for a few hours.

To cut a really long story short, 24 hours later and I've still got the same problem. I've tried the "full power off" option, I have removed the battery a number of times (which I read on a FAQ was the "hard reset" option), and I have had it turned off for hours at a time. At this point, I'm really over the "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" solution, much as I love The I.T. Crowd, and am looking fo another solution. Does anybody think that some sort of software upgrade would be a good idea? I have no idea where to look for that.

Also, just something I noted -- despite the battery being completely full each time, whenever this "working" symbol does its thing for a couple of hours, it wears down the Bold Battery to the point of the battery going red, the unit turning itself off entirely, and then taking AGES to charge again.

Totally confused.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 10-26-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Could be a few things:

1. Did you install any software right before any of this started happening? If so remove it and see what happens.

2. Install the latest OS for the 9000, links are at the top of the 9000 forum.

3. Could be a hardware issue. Use 1 and 2 above to rule that out.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
Altadr

PIN: Ask
Carrier: Optus

There have been a number of instances of this posted.
I have also gotten through this issue myself.

Problem was one or a number of apps hanging up.
In my case it was the facebook app which seems to be quite problematic.

You can update the OS or uninstall and reinstall the apps on your handset, either of these will stop the scanning hopefully for good like it did with mine.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
painted_duchess

Ahhh. Really? Sorry, I didn't notice any other similar threads. Guess I should've looked a bit harder before complaining. That is rather heartening to hear that it has happened to other people, however!

Thank you for your solutions -- I will check that out and update the software
Old 10-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
painted_duchess

Updated to the new OS, and BBerry worked just fine for 24 hours, and now it's up to its old tricks of scanning, scanning, scanning. Loving it. To answer your question, TroyDBrown, no, I hadn't installed any apps right before this problem occurred - I installed all of the apps in the first week I got the phone, and they've been working just fine for a month... until now! So I'm going to try uninstalling the apps now like Altadr suggested. Couldn't have picked a worse day for this to occur...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
ams mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

If after removing the 3rd party apps and with the newest OS, it still does it.

Time to warranty it for a new one.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_duchess View Post
Updated to the new OS, and BBerry worked just fine for 24 hours, and now it's up to its old tricks of scanning, scanning, scanning. Loving it. To answer your question, TroyDBrown, no, I hadn't installed any apps right before this problem occurred - I installed all of the apps in the first week I got the phone, and they've been working just fine for a month... until now! So I'm going to try uninstalling the apps now like Altadr suggested. Couldn't have picked a worse day for this to occur...
When you say scanning, is it saying scanning at the bottom of the screen? If so, did you format the MicroSD before using it with your Bold. Alot of issues have arose with using a MicroSD from older BB's on your Bold. Try that and see what happens.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-28-2008, 02:40 AM   #8
painted_duchess

Nah, not scanning at the bottom of the screen. It's just the little black box thing in the centre. Pops up every three seconds, as though it's loading something. Sorry, picked up "scanning" from a previous post. LOL.

I've removed the Facebook app, as that was the only app that has been logged into all the time. I haven't touched the others in weeks so I'm doubting they're the problem! so far, it hasn't happened again, and has been six hours.

I'm glad you guys have helped me out with this! Would've been a few frustrated phone calls to my mobile dealer otherwise!

bbswany, when you say MicroSD, do you mean an external memory card? Cos I haven't got one -- yet. And this is my first Berry.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

Have you tried disabling WiFi? Even if you intend to use WiFi, just see if disabling it stops the clock face. It could be that some networks are giving you a poor signal, and the device is trying to pull in the weak signal. If the problem goes away when you turn off WiFi, at least you'll know what the problem is. If not, well, that's one more potential cause you'd have eliminated...
Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
SteveA
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Same thing has been happening to my device. A few weeks ago, an OS upgrade fixed it. Started coming back this morning. My provider is shipping me a replacement.

I tried hard and soft resets, keep my apps all up to date. It has to be a hardware problem. Blackberries are no strangers to me.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
CanadaBat
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

Guys

I had this happen to me with the original software OS that came with the Rogers Bold, OS 0.125, after a software upgrade, it stopped doing this. Busy symbol and super hot screen plus major battery drain. Just update the OS!!!!
Closed Thread