BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers
Default How about an advanced user forum??

Please Login to Remove!

This site has surely taken off -- but it used to be a site of mostly advanced Blackberry users who were passionate about the device and learning the ins and outs..

now, the forums are full of people who just want to know how to change ringtones, fix their redirector, etc..

can we set up an advanced users forum, with the following rules:

a) Only users who have either a) large number of posts and/or b) approved by moderator showing a working technical knowledge of Blackberry function are allowed to post in the forum
b) The forum is otherwise read-only to everyone else, to allow advanced user information be read by everyone to learn..

Honestly, this site is hardly useful any longer due to the flood of 'newbie' postings that I have to filter in order to see anything worthwhile.. back in the early days (august -> november 2004) this site was top quality.

That's all for now..
Old 06-01-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
towski394
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100t

This has been talked about before, and I foresee problems.....

a) it's possible to be an advanced user without having a large # of posts, and which moderator gets the lucky task of giving quizzes and grading them to see who qualifies - and breaking the news to those who don't

I liked someone's earlier suggestion of a pop-up for new members, directing them to stickies, and Mark's FAQ's.

2 cents.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

already a dead horse
Old 06-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
jscully
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 3066853A
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Wink

The quiz idea is good, but...I'm sure the answers would be easy to find by doing a search on blackberryforums.com!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Ya... some form with X number of multiple choice questions that either require the user to have knowledge, or search for the answer... If there is a combination of both that would be even better... get the quiz right and gain access to the advanced forum... I am up for that...

Something like what are the 2 options below the keyword search box in BBF's search function...

A. Search All Posts, Search By Poster
B. Search Posts From Today, Search Entire Posts
C. Search Entire Posts, Search Titles Only
D. Search BlackberryForums.com, Search Google.com

Heck... maybe even a tutorial of the site... where things are, how to navigate... explain to new users that 'to better their experience' they should spend the 10 minutes to follow this tutorial through...

I think a forum where posting priveledges are by invite only, or by knowledge test would be a definate asset... although the only drawback I can see would be that nobody would be in the open forum answering questions anymore...

Maybe, like some other forums, the first 10 posts are moderated and must be approved before being posted. If anyone objects and says something like 'I am in a rush and need this answered...', well, you guys all know my response to this... call RIM with your credit card in hand.

Like I have said, I enjoy helping people, but I think people should learn the way I have learned... trial and error, reading, reading and more reading... When I started learning about not just blackberries, but everything else I know about, I didn't have anyone to hold my hand, or give me straight up answers. I learned by getting a hold of what I wanted to learn about and playing with it. I did a year of college for computers, but other than that I have never taken any type of schooling. I did the Rogers Silver Certification training, but I only did it as it was a requirement for the certification. I already knew everything they were teaching. I have lots and lots of industry certification, I know about lots more. Why? because I took the time to learn about it. Nobody becomes and expert over night, nor should people expect to. What people should do is dedicate some of their time to figure out what they don't know. My kids are in bed by 9pm, which gives me 2 hours to do stuff I want to do... last night I raked my lawn, fertilized it and watered it... the night before I installed Microsoft CRM server to play around with it. Give me a few weeks of playing around with CRM server once or twice a week, lunch hours at work to read around the internet about it, and soon enough I will know enough to implement it. This is how people should learn. Never once will I ask for help with the CRM software, nor will I post a question about it, but I will learn it inside and out...

This is the way to learn, answer your own questions. All the answers are out there, you just have to find them. If you search for something, and don't have the proper terminology, look through the results of your search, read a bit and you will find the proper terminology, then you can do a more effective search. I have sometimes gone through 5-6 searchs until I find the answer I am looking for, learning all the way along.

There is no reason to post simple questions, none whatsoever. People need to fend for themselves once in a while instead of looking for the hand outs from the poeple who have taken the time to learn.

Enough of this rant... I got some MIDP2 programming to do...

cd.
Closed Thread