Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
AnthonyMA

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default DCPROMO breaks Blackberry services

Please Login to Remove!

I have an SBS 2011 domain consisting of the main SBS server and a second Windows 2008 R2 server hosting BES Express. To this second server I have just added two roles: Active directory Domain Services and DNS. As a result a number of Blackberry services will now not start (Dispatcher, MDS Connection being two of them) which is not something I had expected. What's the best way of fixing this please?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
AnthonyMA

Default Re: DCPROMO breaks Blackberry services

Well, I *think* I have resolved this. Mea culpa, I made three changes at once so I'm not sure whether they are all necessary or only one (or two) of them is:

1) Added the BESAdmin user account to the Server Operators group. I did this because the Blackberry docs require a pre-installation task of allowing BESAdmin to log on locally. Prior to DCPROMO that was the case but when I looked at that setting after DCPROMO a) BESAdmin was missing and b) the Add button was greyed out. Consequently I added BESAdmin to one of the groups shown

2) As there is no such thing as a local administrator's group on a DC, I was unable to add BESAdmin to it (another of the pre-installation requirements). So, somewhat reluctantly, I added it to the built-in admin group

3) I changed the log-on credentials for SQL Server (BLACKBERRY) from NetworkService (which was not allowing the service to start) to the Local System account

Now, I am quite happy to accept that none of these changes is actually the right way of going about fixing the problem but at least I now having working Blackberrys again. Any elucidation gratefully received
Old 05-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
TargetIT
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

A DC hosting BES? What could go wrong!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMA View Post
Well, I *think* I have resolved this. Mea culpa, I made three changes at once so I'm not sure whether they are all necessary or only one (or two) of them is:

1) Added the BESAdmin user account to the Server Operators group. I did this because the Blackberry docs require a pre-installation task of allowing BESAdmin to log on locally. Prior to DCPROMO that was the case but when I looked at that setting after DCPROMO a) BESAdmin was missing and b) the Add button was greyed out. Consequently I added BESAdmin to one of the groups shown

the besadmin should be a normal domain user account.

2) As there is no such thing as a local administrator's group on a DC, I was unable to add BESAdmin to it (another of the pre-installation requirements). So, somewhat reluctantly, I added it to the built-in admin group

correct, the besadmin must be the member of the "administrators" group if it runs on a DC

3) I changed the log-on credentials for SQL Server (BLACKBERRY) from NetworkService (which was not allowing the service to start) to the Local System account

Now, I am quite happy to accept that none of these changes is actually the right way of going about fixing the problem but at least I now having working Blackberrys again. Any elucidation gratefully received
Maybe, just rerun the installer again (under the besadmin account) if you still have problems.
also read this document:
KB04293-How to switch BlackBerry Enterprise Server service accounts
Old 05-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
AnthonyMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIT View Post
A DC hosting BES? What could go wrong!
Chuckle. We live and learn, although everything seems to be working OK now
Old 05-07-2011, 03:49 AM   #6
AnthonyMA

[QUOTE=nobody7290;1719731][COLOR="Navy"]Maybe, just rerun the installer again (under the besadmin account) if you still have problems.
also read this document:

I appreciate your help. Many thanks
Closed Thread